• Members

What power amp(s) do you have, (or are planning to get)? Is weight and space a consideration? What tops do you have? What kind of SPL are you aiming for?

As I'm sure you've heard before, numbers are just that; numbers. They don't necessarily prove anything. Efficiency related to cabinet design and materials, plays a big part in how the specs really play out.

• Members

I have used the LS700P and the LS800P. The LS800P should get louder than the 700P (which is no slouch) but the 800P (or passive 808) is not a magic box.

Sounds like you might need a long range gear plan. If you think you're going to be upgrading your tops and relegating the NX35's to monitor duty then perhaps you should be trying to match the sub(s) to your projected speakers. Or perhaps you should uprgade your tops now, if you're already maxing them out. You could just keep renting subs for a while - kind of a try before you buy.

I will say that if you were happy with two subs, that's where you might need to start.

• Members

The best thump for your money is probaby a single LS800P. It is a little more that 1000$, but is self-powered and produces lots of DBs for a single box. A pair of close coupled LS700Ps would also work well for a band, but will cost more than a single 800P. Used will get you the most bang for your buck of course, but no warranty...

Al

• Members

The best thump for your money is probaby a single LS800P. It is a little more that 1000$, but is self-powered and produces lots of DBs for a single box. A pair of close coupled LS700Ps would also work well for a band, but will cost more than a single 800P. Used will get you the most bang for your buck of course, but no warranty...

Al

If he buys used privately, quite correct regarding the warranty. However... sometime within the last few years L&M started offering the option to upgrade from their usual three month warranty for used. You can now on most (not all though) used gear buy an extended warranty.

For instance, I recently picked up a used Unity U15 for very cheap from L&M, and extended the warranty to a year. Now I'm looking for one more U15 so I have the option of running two a side:)

• Members

Used gear may not pop up directly in your neighborhood, but would you invest an afternoon drive to get a really good deal 100 miles away? Craig's List and phone calls may find you what you need, if you're patient and keep looking. Heck, my morning routine is checking Craig's List for a few keywords to see if they pop up. Still waiting for a deal on a 16/4 50-foot snake. I'm quite sure subs will pop up once in a while.

• Members

Used gear may not pop up directly in your neighborhood, but would you invest an afternoon drive to get a really good deal 100 miles away? Craig's List and phone calls may find you what you need, if you're patient and keep looking. Heck, my morning routine is checking Craig's List for a few keywords to see if they pop up. Still waiting for a deal on a 16/4 50-foot snake. I'm quite sure subs will pop up once in a while.

Yup!

Craigslist and Kijiji for six months for me to get the first set of LS608s and four more months to get a second set.

I wanted a couple of pairs of those, two for smaller gigs and four for larger gigs, because four LS808s will not give me room in the minivan for much of anything else.

You have to look everyday!

BTW: Montreal is pretty good for used gear on either site.

• Members

I have 4 LS1004's and i have always really liked them. If you dont mind weight than these are nice units.

I found 2 of them used through a L+M store for $650 each.....even one of them wouldnt be a bad start. I've done gigs with one of these cabinets and had adequate bottom end for a smaller show.

• Members

I had a line on a double 18 peavey QW last year and I waited 2 long and lost it.

I scour all the local used sights and local SR providers for used gear every morning and evening, it

• Members

which of these 3 are the best performer as a single unit? i think the QSC is about 1200 american.

LS800P, 808, or the QSC HPR181i 700w 18"?

i guess also as a pair or 4, what performs the best?

EDIT: sorry, i just realized you definitely wanted passive subs. not to hijack, but i'm still interested to know how the QSC stacks up against those formentioned Yorkvilles tho...i see the 800p has 1500w.....wowzers. i guess i answeared my own question on THAT one lol - the 720p vs. the QSC tho...

Archived