No announcement yet.

Best FX Unit for Vocals <$500?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best FX Unit for Vocals <$500?

Thought I'd try this thread here to hopefully get more input/suggestions.

Our 3 piece hard rock band has been just using the built in fx on our powered mixer up til now (Reverb and Delay) which leaves a bit to be desired. What would be the best fx unit for us that would help make our vocals sound better (not only reverb & delay, but also maybe voice doubling or stuff to make our vocals sound thicker/bigger - you know - to help compensate for our lack of singing ability )? Also to just help our vocals sound a bit more engineered or polished, like a bit of studio magic was added.

We will obviously keep practicing to improve our singing, but I know lots of the big bands I see have all kinds of crap they're singing through to help make them sound so good. I want/need some of that crap Thanks!
    HEADS: VHT Sig X, VHT 50clCABS: VHT Deliverance 4x12GUITARS: PRS VHT/FRYETTE DEATH SQUAD FS: Fryette/VHT 50cl with EQ - $1000 shipped.Good Transactions With: psmile87, ams2ek, Holy-diver (x2), JC-TONEQUEST, Mikemtm, Shiny_Surface, mgcasella, knowwhatimean, poundcaketoredvelvet, knucklefux, Chrisjd, SDMFVan, ejendres, DeuceII, stephen sawall

Yeah, the big bands are using this incredible new technology. Let's see. What's it called?... Oh, yeah, talent.

Best FX device <$500 IMO is the TC Electronics M-ONE. It won't give you vocal lessons though, which is where your $ is better spent.

Comment

hil: I'm starting vocal lessons and understand the importance of learning how to sing correctly. However, as you may or may not know, most singers actually add fx to their vocals It actually enhances their vocals and helps them sound even better.

Seriously though, most people agree that the built in fx on powered mixers leave alot to be desired, so I'm curious what people would recommend as an improvement, which I'm sure will help our vocals sound better.
      HEADS: VHT Sig X, VHT 50clCABS: VHT Deliverance 4x12GUITARS: PRS VHT/FRYETTE DEATH SQUAD FS: Fryette/VHT 50cl with EQ - $1000 shipped.Good Transactions With: psmile87, ams2ek, Holy-diver (x2), JC-TONEQUEST, Mikemtm, Shiny_Surface, mgcasella, knowwhatimean, poundcaketoredvelvet, knucklefux, Chrisjd, SDMFVan, ejendres, DeuceII, stephen sawall

Comment

Oh yeah, I know. I'm the guy that brings the crap for the big bands to sing through. That's why I recommended what I did, because it's one of the few <$500 fx units that the pros often request. I'm not sure what kind of mixer you own, as you didn't specify, but depending on what you're using for a PA, you might find diminishing returns on such a unit. IOW, you might not really hear the difference if you've got a crappy PA. IMO the built in effects on a lot of those mixers is pretty decent for what it is. Again, your $ might be better spent elsewhere.

Comment

The Lexicon MX300 is a great unit too.

Comment

+1 on the TC M-one, however if you can find a TC M2000 used, it is a nicer sounding unit. We have both and I like the M-one a lot, but the M2000 is a step up.

Comment

Is the M2000 also a dual engine unit? I haven't had the chance to use one.

Comment

The Lexicon MX300 is a great unit too.

The MX200 is nice too.
                I picked up a used one for $100. just so I could have it for those female
                singers who always ask...
                "Could I have a little Reverb please"

Comment

Autotune /= vocal lessons, btw
                  this sig no verb

Comment

IMHO the order of improvements would be singing lessons concurrent with:

1. Good or better mics (don't know what you're using)

2. Good or better PA (don't know what you're using)

3. Better FX only if singing lessons and numbers 1 and 2 don't help.

Comment

Thanks everybody for the info! We've significantly downsized/simplified our PA to just a Peavey XR8600 powered mixer through a pair of Yamaha Club 15" Mains. (We're spending most of our time working on original material now rather than playing parties and bars doing covers.)

I use a SM-58.

Our singing isn't terrible by any means, but there's definitley alot of room for improvement - so we'll keep practicing and I'm starting lessons with a vocal coach very soon.

In the meantime, I'll read up on the units you guys have suggested. Good to get some different suggestions, because up til now, I had been mainly looking at only the TC Harmony G.

Comment

I 2nd the M-0ne
                        Dan
                        dan@audioeast.com

Audio East ~ New England Sound & Lighting
                        Authorized Dealers: Allen & Heath, Audix, Audio Technica, Ashly, Crest, Crown, DBX, Drawmer, Soundcraft, JBL, Midas, EV, Klark Teknik, TC Electronic, Lexicon, CBI, Yorkville, Gator Cases, Whirlwind, ProCo, Shure, Chauvet

Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...07437315944568

Comment

Alesis Microverb 4 is one of the best and simplest inexpensive fx.

The NanoVerb and PicoVerb are also a "sleepers"
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Is the M-ONE specifically intended for vocal fx or is it just a generic fx unit, for guitars and everything? I was just curious if fx units that are specifically intended for vocals (like the Harmony G), are more desirable to use for vocals - like if they offer better quality fx that better suit vocals specifically. Also, some of the vocal fx units I've read about that have presets for 'thickening' your voice sound interesting and appealing.

Comment

Alesis Microverb 4 is one of the best and simplest inexpensive fx.

The NanoVerb and PicoVerb are also a "sleepers"

i second that on the alesis units...very inexpensive and they work great..could probably find one on ebay for 50 bucks. ive always loved alesis stuff...had a little mixing board i used for a rehearsal room awhile back with built in effects that i liked a lot..sold it...but now i miss it

Comment

Working...
                              X