Help For A Guitarist - Plugging Direct Into A PA

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help For A Guitarist - Plugging Direct Into A PA

Hi all,

I tried the search function, and didn't get any results, so, as I've been able to get some great help from this forum in the past, I thought I'd ask for some help with a problem that I'm trying to work out @ the moment....

For starters, I own and run the PA in the band that I am currently playing in and have started to book some full-band shows in a small-ish venue - playing once or twice a month on a Sunday afternoon (which is a nice add-on to my usual 3-4 nights per week).

The thing is, the set up space is small, and I'm trying to think of ways to minimize my band's footprint (not to mention, saving set up time for me !!!!!). Ideally, I'm looking for options so that I can just plug my Les Paul straight into a live, regular mixer and still get decent guitar sounds. I've tried a POD in the past (the original "kidney bean" type) and it was ok, but nothing like my usual setup (50W all-valve amp, stomp boxes in line and through the effects loop).

So, I was wondering if anyone has successfully seen or used a set up that sounds convincing and if so, what type of equipment is needed.

FWEIW, I'm not really expecting to be able to totally replace the sound of my amp (which is pretty much set in an overdriven bluesy tone), but I'm hoping to get a more-authentic sound than that of the 1st generation POD - plus, going amp-less would definately be a lot easier for me to fit in the space that we are allocated to play in (eg : for these shows, I have even just started using only 1/2 of my main FOH setup - one speaker and one sub, with 1 monitor.... and it's pretty much perfect for the venue).

Budget would be up to around $350 - maybe a bit more if justified. Ideally, something simple would be better, as even though I know a fair bit about deep editing etc...., I just want to be able to tweak a few settings, and then go.

Thanks in advance for any help / ideas.
    www.stephensanderson.com

Tonelab LE or SE does a respectable job.

Comment

At the price point you're looking at pick up a used POD XT Live unit. They have some great sounds and are very useable & tweakable. I plan on replacing my early 90's Chameleon with one sometime soon. The XT Live is nothing like the kidney POD that you had before IMO. It's a much better unit and I'll bet you'd be happy with it. Then just run it direct.

Comment

Vox Tonelab ST or LE. Just go and listen.

They will eat any Line6 product for breakfast.

Use a good DI box between what ever modeler you get and the mixer.
        Caspar

Comment

A used Fender Blues Junior. It fits pratically anywhere and can be used anywhere, just mic it up.

Comment

I disagree. The PODxt and newer blow the Tonelab away. POD 1.0 and POD 2.0 are not very good. The PODxt Pro or better yet, the PODxt Live are the best units on the market right now, in my opinion. You do not need a DI box between the PODxt Pro or Live and mixer, it is built in.
            "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson

Band promo shots on railroad tracks were cool in 1981...

Comment

The guitarist in one of the bands that I work for in some clubs just brings in his normal pedal board that he uses and just plug it into a passive DI to the board.
              I give him his guitar through his vocal monitor, works out great for clubs where space is at a premium.

This clip is one where there is no guitar or bass rig on stage:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYxz0BKG0f8&feature=player_embedded
              https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/VP...54678147927641

Comment

I disagree. The PODxt and newer blow the Tonelab away. POD 1.0 and POD 2.0 are not very good. The PODxt Pro or better yet, the PODxt Live are the best units on the market right now, in my opinion. You do not need a DI box between the PODxt Pro or Live and mixer, it is built in.

Both the units mentioned are way over the budget mentioned. And the footprint is not exactly small. With the xt pro you would need to add a pedal board as well.

If you want small, plug and play, killer tone, for $350?

Tonelab it is!
                Caspar

Comment

The PODxt Live can be had for around $350 or so. Same price as the LE. It is true that the Pro is probably out of range because you do probably need the floorboard to use it to it's potential. I still prefer the xt Live over the LE and in the states, they both run about the same price.
                  "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson

Band promo shots on railroad tracks were cool in 1981...

Comment

You could also probably find a used Pod X3 live for $350. I know there is a pawn shop in town with 2 for that price, I have a friend selling one for that price too. I got mine for $250 from a guy right after they came out.
                    samkokajko wins! - MusicalSchizo

Comment

You could use your existing stomp boxes and add a Red Box or Tubeman or smilar. Something with speaker emulation.
                      Kyle Abel

http://www.soylentbluemusic.com

Comment

Red Box sounds good on the speaker output on an amp, but doesn't sound near as good using a line out.

Tonelabs include both speaker emulation and a power amp simulator using a real tube. I'm a tube amp snob and this box does the trick.
                        this sig no verb

Comment

When I play solo I use my digitech pedals (Bad Monkey, Sreamin Blues, Tone Driver). They are inexpensive and have a mixer out, works great!

Comment

Both the units mentioned are way over the budget mentioned. And the footprint is not exactly small. With the xt pro you would need to add a pedal board as well.

If you want small, plug and play, killer tone, for $350?

Tonelab it is!

Here's a quick search of POD XT Live got me through this search engine. http://www.craigzoom.com/

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/1549642366.html
                            $250

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/msg/1547895926.html
                            $250

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/msg/1550315008.html
                            $250

A ton of them come up all over the US using that search engine. The 3 I posted above are just the first 3 on the list. For $250 it's a damn good deal.

Comment

A used Fender Blues Junior. It fits pratically anywhere and can be used anywhere, just mic it up.

as bad of an overdrive tone as you'll ever find. I'm with the Tonelab guys, without a doubt.
                              tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                              www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
                              -For Sale:
                              -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
                              -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
                              - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
                              - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
                              - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X