Help For A Guitarist - Plugging Direct Into A PA

• Members

Thats the other side to it: I've worked with guitarists who won't play in a garage without their cranked tube amp drowning everyone else out. Their tone may well be good, but
the band
doesnt actually sound its best. People are there to hear the whole band, not the lead guitarist.

...but that's how they get "their" sound....

• Members

I agree here with jwlussow and picker13 here.

The modelers really is the thing if you want a quick set up, excellent tone, cheap, and portable. Les Paul or tele on the back and a tonelab st in the bag that also fits a 6-pack, toothbrush and rubber.

One thing that a lot of people I hear do one thing wrong:

They tweak the sounds at home on the sofa and then they show up in front of an audience in a Live situation and they sound arse most of the time. Don't waste time on the sofa tweaking, just play! Tweak sounds with the band and then take them home and get used to them.

But I have the footprint for my Elmwood, most of the time. And I am totally convinced that, to stand in-front of a good tube-amp AND being able to turn it up a bit is when rock-music plays the best.

No modeler does that(right now). :thu:

99% of the audience would not notice the difference though. :)

• Members

I tried the new Tonelab version, the small one.

I could not get a tone I liked. I play jazz. I use a brighter tone than most jazzers and I like some tube warmth (think 22% blues player). I couldn't get it. I was just as happy bypassing it.

If I had to go really small, I'd mic a practice amp with a good tone. I've gotten good sounds out of the old Ampeg Jet, the Fender Champ and, strangely, a little Crate solid state XR15 or FX15 or something (sounded great, but, sadly, was unreliable).

• Members

They tweak the sounds at home on the sofa and then they show up in front of an audience in a Live situation and they sound arse most of the time. Don't waste time on the sofa tweaking, just play! Tweak sounds with the band and then take them home and get used to them.

Good point. We tweak the sounds through FOH. It took a long time but we did everything from the audience perspective. After that we worked on the monitors (IEMs). We did not change the FOH sound to tweak the IEM sound. We have confidence that the audience would hear what we wanted them to hear and we made our compromises in the IEMs.

• Members

Thats the other side to it: I've worked with guitarists who won't play in a garage without their cranked tube amp drowning everyone else out. Their tone may well be good, but
the band
doesnt actually sound its best. People are there to hear the whole band, not the lead guitarist.

never a truer word was spoken

• Members

Just my 2 cents, on the subject. I have been using a digitech RP350 now for about a year and half. I would not go back to lugging an amp around anymore, no matter how small.

As for sound I think they sound great, it just takes some time to tweak it they way you want, and I also do it throught the FOH PA. What I think is funny though is, I run sound from stage so the PA rack is right next to me at all our gigs. I have had so many guitarist's come up to me and ask what kind of rack rig am I running for my guitar, because they love the way it sounds. When I point to the floor and tell them it is only just this pedal, they can't believe it and insist that I'm running something else.

I had one guy thell me he loved the sound and when I told him it was just a modeller pedal, then he complained that I should be using an amp. :facepalm:

• Members

I'm afraid a modeller simply would not inspire me the way a cookin' valve amp can. Fortunately it seems at last that amp manufacturers are finally realizing that not everyone gigs in the enormo dome! The last few years there's been some great low-wattage amps appearing. This is my 20W baby, I can get awesome tone from it at pub friendly SPL and I defy anyone to tell me a POD looks anywhere near as sexy!!!

laney_lionheart.jpg

• Members

Well, I ended up grabbing a Vox Tonelab ST.... and returned it the next day !

I played with it through my PA for about 6 hours, messing with all the settings and paramaters etc... and just could not get a sound out of it that I could live with.

I play with an overdriven sound 95% of the time (Black Crowes / Eagles type of guitar sound), and despite all my attempts (I was a rack junkie in the late 90's), I just could not pull a sound that didn't sound brittle or mushy.

My overall impression of the sound(s) was that if it was a real amp with a mic on it, the mic needed to be moved until it found "the sweet spot". Each patch never really got it right, although YMMV.

I will say that it was a solid little pedal, but the power plug on the unit itself needs to be upgraded to the usual, 3-prong style that's found on most heavier-duty equipment, IMO. Regular gigging use of those little pin-type power plugs is not something that I'd like to do.

Looks like I'll have to wait for the next generation of modellers....

• Members

I absolutely agree with those that said you're playing to an audience, who generally can't tell the difference.

But to me, there's something less than optimal in accepting "average" or "acceptable." We should all strive to be the best we can be, and as musicians, part of that is sounding the best we can. If my rig (or if I were to use a modeler) isn't sounding good, then my performance is going to suffer. What I am saying is if you are not satisfied with the sound of a modeler, then don't use one. If you are, then all power to you, go ahead.

It's all personal preference, isn't it? And no one can tell a person what his/hers should be.

Archived