Best budget PA system (under $500) for use at art galleries or coffee shops

• Members

I am looking for recommendations for a portable PA system for use at art openings (for vocals only).

I'm not looking for professional quality or precision audio, but the PA needs to be loud enough that the vocals can be heard above the drums. And it needs to be fairly sturdy.

My budget is $500 max. (This isn't meant for use in night clubs, and the local clubs all have their own professional sound systems, anyways.)

I was originally looking at the Peavey Messenger, which is certainly portable (it fits in a suitcase) but the speakers are tiny (it's the size of a boom box). And I fear that those ultra-cheap Phonic Powerpod systems wouldn't even last a year.

Peavey is coming out with a new 200 watt / $200 powered mixer called the PV 5300 which seems like it would fit the bill, but I have heard that the amp needs to be at least as powerful (if not twice as powerful) as the speakers, and most of the smaller unpowered PA cabinets seem to be rated at 300 or 400 watts (at least). Is this a problem? Is there somewhere to get decent PA cabinets that are more than 50 watts, but less than 300 watts?

I noticed that in other threads, people were recommending powered PA cabinets, but these are mostly out of my price range (and some of them are REALLY heavy -the cheapest powered Peavey cabinet weighs 79 pounds!)

Are Kustom speakers any good? (Not great, obviously, but are they good enough to last a couple of years?)

What would folks recommend?

• Members

A single EV ELX112P could be had under your price range if you go with an open-box one on eBay. Grab a cheap speaker stand and it'll do plenty fine for vocals, or vocals with guitar. Don't try and run a bass or any of the drums through it and it's more than enough. The cabinet is under 40 pounds and has an internal mixer so you can run two inputs at once.

Someone will undoubtedly mention RCF in this thread but I have zero experience with them.

If you're looking for a system with two speakers, I'm of no help, you're way under budget at that point.

• Members

If you are trying to be heard over loud drums, I would recommend against the B208D. I have some as backup floor monitors and they work for that purpose, but only if the drummer is not too loud. They actually sound OK at low volumes, but they start limiting embarrassingly early and get kind of harsh. Their tone quality doesn't matter much to me, since the audience is listening to much nicer speakers (I wouldn't want to have to use the B208Ds as mains).

Also, for vocals only (no bass or drums), there's less reason to favor 12" speakers over smaller ones. Active speakers with smaller drivers are usually less expensive.

I do agree with the general idea of getting a single active speaker from a reputable brand. Most have mic-level XLR inputs. I can personally recommend the QSC K-series, but if purchased new they are a little out of your budget.

• Members

I am looking for recommendations for a portable PA system for use at art openings (for vocals only).

I'm not looking for professional quality or precision audio, but the PA needs to be loud enough that the vocals can be heard above the drums. And it needs to be fairly sturdy.

My budget is $500 max. (This isn't meant for use in night clubs, and the local clubs all have their own professional sound systems, anyways.)

I was originally looking at the Peavey Messenger, which is certainly portable (it fits in a suitcase) but the speakers are tiny (it's the size of a boom box). And I fear that those ultra-cheap Phonic Powerpod systems wouldn't even last a year.

Peavey is coming out with a new 200 watt / $200 powered mixer called the
which seems like it would fit the bill, but I have heard that the amp needs to be at least as powerful (if not twice as powerful) as the speakers, and most of the smaller unpowered PA cabinets seem to be rated at 300 or 400 watts (at least). Is this a problem? Is there somewhere to get decent PA cabinets that are more than 50 watts, but less than 300 watts?

I noticed that in other threads, people were recommending powered PA cabinets, but these are mostly out of my price range (and some of them are REALLY heavy -the cheapest powered Peavey cabinet weighs 79 pounds!)

Are Kustom speakers any good? (Not great, obviously, but are they good enough to last a couple of years?)

What would folks recommend?

Have you considered used? Do you have a miccables? Below would be an option but if you want some effects on your vocals you need a mixer which you can go used, guitarcenter.com click on used gear!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-QSC-K10-POWERED-SPEAKER-W-BAG-107635260-i2454268.gc?source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=1292992851

QSC K10 sounds like a good option for your application as well this one is "used" out of stock and out of budget @ 550 bucks. Kustoms are krummy, bad, no worky worky. (also allows for upgrade to 2 down the road) New 750.00 so out of budget.

I'm a drummer so I know we can surpass even the QSC 129 max SPL very quickly, so for $500.00 I can't think of anything that will vocally outperform a heavey hitting drummer, I would be looking used or demo models of higher end gear, cry once as they say.

Also Yamaha Stagepas 500 Portable PA System seems to be an ok option but again out of budget!!!

Used may be your only option (damn drummers)...found this:

Guitar Center San Jose

Santa Clara, California 95051

408-249-0455 USED QSC K10 549.00

They gonna gouge you on 1 year warranty @ 60 bucks plus shipping soooo

Good luck!

• Members

A Messenger or Stagepas can't produce the volume levels required to get over a drummer in many cases. (or might struggle to do so)

A single powered speaker such as a QSC K10, Yamaha DXR10 or even a Wharfedale Titan 12D will easily produce over 120DBs of output, are all between 400-600$ and all have very flexible built-in mixers. The RCF Art 310a or 312A are excellent choices also - performance wise, but the lack of built-in mixer might make them less convenient.

Al

• Members

I needed to put together a small rig similar to what you need (I assume). I was on a small budget. Eneded up with two B212D and a couple of stands. For the price I was quite surprised at what they sounded like. Since then they have had a good run with many smaller shows and never a mishap. I eneded up putting two 18" powered Wherfedale subs under them and all of a sudden I have a little rig that can run some bands in smaller venues. I use a A@H ZED10 with this system and another B212D for monitor duty.

Not being a Behringer fan and never really owned anything from the company (bar a couple of iNUKE amps recently) I was surprised. Build quality seems good, sound is great for the money, they have a fair amount of grunt and I have had no problems with this system for maybe 50 odd shows, with and without subs. One problem I note is the knobs on the back of the B212D's. They protrude and are easily knocked whilst in transit, that is my only fault.

From my experience alone, I can recommend this Behringer product. If more of thier products where like this then maybe, just maybe I may own more down the track. I think B got it right with this little powered speaker box.

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers:)

• Members

I'd look used. a couple yamaha club with an EMX or peavey XR mixer or similar could be the start of a small system. $500 is a tough mark to hit. but, i have bought plenty of Club series wedges for $150 to $175

for example in my area:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/msg/2966206937.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/msg/2838728083.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/msg/2923317475.html

..just for example.

• Members

I note that there has been a similar thread over on the Solo and Duos forum. Do you need to get a microphone and stand (and cables) with your budget? A workhorse Shure SM 58 mic is about $100, and you might find one packaged with a cable and cheap stand for an additional $25 or so. If all you have is a single mic to put in to the PA, most powered speakers will accept a single mic level input without the need for a mixer. An RCF Art 310a or Art 312a active speaker is of pretty good quality, and a good deal at about $400 to $450 via e-bay sellers (new). Add a $50 single speaker stand and you have a decent sounding basic PA. It may be a little over budget if you need to buy (as opposed to borrow) a mic and stand.

I would rather have one decent speaker than two crappy ones. YMMV, however. Good luck. Mark C.

• Members
you also notice the OP said that the vocals need to be loud enough to get on top of a drum kit, which could mean fairly loud.

I've used my B208D's with bands with a drummer before - but they're good drummers who can actually play coffee houses and art galleries ;) .

• Members

Well, the Behringer B208D and B212D have already been recommended, I might as well make it a family affair and suggest the B210D. I've used a single unit on a stand at a couple of house parties and had no trouble being heard over my drummer. Of course, he's good....

• Members
Well, the Behringer B208D and B212D have already been recommended, I might as well make it a family affair and suggest the B210D. I've used a single unit on a stand at a couple of house parties and had no trouble being heard over my drummer. Of course, he's good....

An acquaintance of mine bought those after hearing mine - he uses them every week (except in the winter) for an outside bandstand he "manages" shows at. But he rarely has drummers in the groups he gets.

• Members

I book mostly punk and indie bands to play at art openings. It's loud music, but it can't get TOO loud, since that would be totally deafening in a room that's only big enough to hold a few dozen people (most of whom are mainly there to see the artwork).

I keep trying to convince the drummers to play with brushes, for fear of violating the local noise ordinance (most of the local galleries are located in storefronts). Trying to get people to turn down the volume seems to be a bit of a losing battle.

I've currently got two microphones: a Shure SM58 and a Shure SM57. I am hoping to get a third mic and some extra cables, just in case.

• Members

What sort of "art" are we talking here, age group of punters? What sort of music is appropriate?

I know I have done a handful of shows with the National Art Gallery over here and I have never run a punk band, or would it cross my mind. I stuggle to find appropriate bands to do this type of work but I have come accross some, usually acoustic duo's with maybe another playing various instruments. A couple of hundred people attend (usually invite only) and are all very classy, with music to accompany the tastes of the scene.

• Members

Iorek, glad to hear you already have a couple of mics. As you probably are aware, if you want to run more than one mic to an active speaker, you typically will need an unpowered mixer. For ~$100, you can get a Yamaha MG 102c mixer with four channels of mic preamps. Not great, but probably adequate for your stated needs. Mark C.

• Members

Woah! I think of art gallaries and I think of string quartets. I don't know the type of art being presented but you may be mis-booking the gig. I believe making the vocals project over the already too loud drummer will only make matters worse. Maybe put the whole band behind plexi and show them off as a real life animated piece of art - that may work :-).

OK sorry for the sarcasm. Maybe I'm way off base here. Getting the drummer to play softer would help a lot (they maks a type of "stick" called hot rods that are a cross between a stick and a brush).

Back to the PA. You will have a hard time finding anything decent for $500. The question has already been asked but I'll expand on it. Do you also need a mic, stand, cable, speaker stand(s)? Just these periferals could cost you the better part of your budget. You might want to rethink the entertainment if just for economic reasons.

Just my .02 worth

Archived