Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking advice re: town festival

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good stage wrangler. There are other terms but that's the most polite. Gets the acts on and off. Takes no crap but still makes the talent smile.

Comment

Load in/out to the stages. If you have bands playing you also have multiple vehicles that need to be near the stage area. Parking passes can work but as someone whose been on both sides of the stage it's better to have some decent parking nearby and work with the volunteers to get people in and out.

One festival I played at in crakima had teepees set up for the talent. Kinda cool. odd but kinda cool. A basic 10x10 with walls and a table and chairs inside can go a long way to helping out.

I really think you're ahead of the game on this, getting local community people involved and letting them give an opinion (however bad, you don't have to listen) will make them invested in what the process is. Find out the personality types who easily overwhelm themselves with work and try to delegate and work with them. Some people feel like they need that stress/tension to feel they are contributing, so spotting who those are can help in the work process.

If your band is playing then schedual yourself and hour before and after where you can just focus on the band needs. You band needs you as much as you need them, give yourself the time.

p
      www.rock-bot.com
      Live-Band-Karaoke

bassist and sound reinforcement

Comment

Master Information Packets for everyone that's working. Everybody who comes to the event will assume that everyone from the garbage collectors to the whoever is actually in charge know where everything is and what time it's going on. Map of the grounds, vendor locations, stage locations, bathroom locations, etc, etc. Given how quickly details change at things like this, your printer/copier will probably be in overdrive the night before. This is also really important information for EMS/Police, so when they get the call that someone's had a heart-attack (god forbid) next to "Joe's Kettle Corn," they don't have to scour the grounds to get help there.

Along the same lines: LARGE maps of the grounds in prominent locations.
        "A performer without techs is standing naked, on a dark stage, and no one can hear them. A tech without a performer... has marketable skills."

Comment

From a management point of view, have you set objectives for what you want to achieve (eg how much money you make, how many people attend etc) ? You need to be able to look back at the festival and work out if it was a success or not. From your objectives, you can work backwards to see how many people you would need to attend, how you will then need to communicate etc etc. Be very clear on who is responsible for what and make sure that everything is written down and sent to everyone involved in the organisation. If it's not written down it will be forgotten. Even if it's in writing, make sure it is not open to misinterpretation.

From a communications angle, always over-communicate. Work on the assumption that when you and the committee are utterly sick of hearing the messages, it MIGHT just be registering in the consciousness of those you want to reach. Also, work out what you want to say to different audiences - you'll need to think about what and how you communicate to staff, local police, press, and of course to potential attendees.

Oh and did anyone say enjoy yourself ??

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by B. Adams
            View Post

Here's a few things that popped into my head, based on the festivals I've worked at or attended:

Make sure you have people constantly emptying garbage cans. Also, have plenty of garbage cans for them to empty. You want people to throw their stuff in the can, not on the ground. They fill up fast.

Someone with a golfcart or (much more likely anywhere there's gonna be a Harvest Festival) a quad with a deck to transport fulls and spare bags. And of course, a dumpster or other pre-arranged trash acceptance facility.....
            "If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else" - Yogi Berra, 1925-2015

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by dennis a
              View Post

I "presume" he joined the festival committee to help score the sound gig for himself.

Yes, that's correct... kind-of.

The festival was actually my idea. I'm donating the stage production as well as hiring the headliner act... which I believe is key to getting this event off the ground, otherwise it's likely there's no-way it would happen... at least the first year anyway.

Most or possibly all of the vending (primarily food and beverages) will be under the auspices of the festival committee... proceeds to go to our worthy cause (playground equipment fund or similar).

Our town is really small, <150 population... and shrinking (the town is currently approx. 1/5th the population it was approx. 50 years ago). We're hoping the town festival will (in-part) attract some out of towners (from the big city) to attend and plant the seed in their mind that Farmington might be a really nice place to call home (which it is), as well as reinstill in the current residents minds that Farmington is a nice place to stay (which it is).

Comment

Looking at Farmington on a map are you trying to get a headliner with enough pull to get folks from Spokane? I'm just not seeing much population around otherwise. 2 things I'd do before investing too much into things would be:

1 - Do some research on other festivals and civic events in some nearby small towns and see what they usually draw for a crowd. If you can't find any or have had several "come and go" over the years, that's a red flag. I'm assuming you may have already done that as part of the justification for the event.

2 - Make darn sure nobody else in the region is having a festival, fair, etc on the days of your event as you'll need all the draw you can get.

OFF TOPIC ALERT - BTW Mark, I just placed an order this morning. My only non EWI purchase for cables in the last 8 years was a 25 ft 4 channel XLR patch snake from Seismic Audio. I bought last June so it didn't even make a year and 2 channels have failed.
                PA: JBL PRX712, PRX718XLF, RCF 745-A, 522-A, 310A, A&H Qu-16
                Lights: AMDJ Dotz TPAR, Haze Generator, Chauvet GigBAR
                www.nextexitrocks.com | wedding band | Columbus, OH | VIDEO

Comment

Put the beer by the music

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by W. M. Hellinger
                    View Post

...proceeds...

Hopefully the committee is prepared for the real possibility that there may be none of these.
                    -

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Sound Guy
                      View Post

[/THREAD]

:rofl:
                      "If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else" - Yogi Berra, 1925-2015

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by abzurd
                        View Post

OFF TOPIC ALERT - BTW Mark, I just placed an order this morning. My only non EWI purchase for cables in the last 8 years was a 25 ft 4 channel XLR patch snake from Seismic Audio. I bought last June so it didn't even make a year and 2 channels have failed.

Off topic additional information... act came through with one of their TRS patch snakes... not very old at all and the sleeves were coming loose from the housings, the strain reliefs were not properly assembled and the whole thing stunk like a POS. Wasted my time troubleshooting some problems.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

I think for a rural community festival like this, there might be a lot more mileage with free admission and a place where folks can donate some money, pitch pocket change etc. It's a by the community for the community event and in effect it's more like a giant backyard BBQ or block party rather than a public festival. I would strive to keep it laid back, relaxed atmosphere and fun enough that it happens again the next year.
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Sound Guy
                            View Post

You would actually think this would be a no brainer, but I've seen the mistake made (beer on other side of event). I really hate it too when we do weddings and there is either a bar outside or in another room. Kills the whole vibe as all the guys want to do it hang out by the bar, wherever it is.
                            PA: JBL PRX712, PRX718XLF, RCF 745-A, 522-A, 310A, A&H Qu-16
                            Lights: AMDJ Dotz TPAR, Haze Generator, Chauvet GigBAR
                            www.nextexitrocks.com | wedding band | Columbus, OH | VIDEO

Comment

Porta john close enough to stage for emergencies. Nothing quite like that urge to go and the facility is on the other side of the event.....how long do I have until they finish this song/set/show?

Comment

So Mark, are you doing this for the sake of the children?

We play two very small town festivals regularly. Both take place in Torrey, Utah and both took a while to get going, but both survive by drawing attendance from the Salt Lake City population which is a 4 hour drive away. Torrey Utah does have the advantage of being right next to a National Park though and being just plain stunningly beautiful. It also has a higher amount of motels and accommodations available than your average town with a population of 170.

In the end, both of these festivals have survived because they each have an individual in the community that is committed to having them take place and they put a lot more work into them then they get back in direct monetary gain. However they both have interests in other business ventures in the community, so they probably benefit some from that as well. My main impression though is that they both do it because it makes their community a better place to live. And for the children.....
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-c1JDsmREI
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPUXD...eature=related
                                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sister-Wives/37203218181
                                http://www.sisterwivesband.com

Comment

Working...
                                X