What Mixer for Live Sound Small Five Piece Band

• Members

I have decided to go with all powered speakers mains and monitors. I want a very good mixer for live applications. (Not recording with a computer or studio just good solid performance for live, small club or outdoor backyard parties. Needs to be rugged and easily portable.

1. I would like recommendations for a quality built to last 16-24 channel mixer with effects.

2. I would like at least two monitor mixes 2 aux or more minimum a decent reverb/delay (about the only effects we use).

3. Minimum 12 mic/line

4. Looking at the following Mackie CFX16 or CFX20 & same models MKII series Mackie PROFX22, Allen Heath ZED22FX, Peavey 24FX, Yamaha MG20XU

Not sure exactly what I am looking atidn_smilie.gif but pretty sure of what I want it to do.

Anyway, I have been looking and researching :? , and boy is the market crowded with choices. The names that keep coming up with quality tagged to them are Allen Heath, Mackie, Yamaha and Peavey. Seems like I can get new in all these brands for under $700.00 easily. Not sure about the quality at that price point. I want to buy a quality unit that will last several years. Would I be better off buying new at the $700.00 or so price point or buying a used "older higher end model"? What model new or used would fit the bill do you recommend buying new or used?

Yamaha, Mackie, Allen & Heath new warranties new are only 1 year. Peavey warranty is 2 years plus an extra 3 if your register within 90 days of purchase total five year warranty.

• Members

Allen and heath is prob best build quality. We love our gl2400 but no built in effects on this. I do use a Mackie cfx20 on smaller pub/bar gigs. Not get effects but do the job. We have had it years with no problems but reliability I a concern so I here.

• Members

I've used an A&H Mixwiz16/3 for several years to mix everything from rock bands, to orchestra string/woodwind mic'ing, concert bands, chorus'. Totally bullet-proof to date. The onboard effects are ok and the board is pretty quiet. Analog is getting cheaper...

Mike M

• Members

If you've got the money a digital mixer such as the Mackie DL1608 gives you 16 channels and 6 aux sends, reverb and delay plenty of compressors, gates and EQ options. Of course you do need an ipad and a router if you want to go wireless - but it would mean never having to use a snake again.

Might be a bit too expensive compared to an analogue mixer but it is pretty good value for money. I cant see myself ever buying another analogue mixer.

Just a thought smiley-happy

• Members

If you're careful, the Mackie CFX mixers can work, but they have some quirks (like no mute lights), and the channel strip EQ's are not great IMHO. I've done a rant on those mixers in the past, but I've since mellowed some :)

The Mackie DL1608 can be a PITA to use if you're mixing from stage - that's been my experience anyway. I've used one on a gig that used to have an analog mixer, and it was so much faster to just grab the knob or fader that I needed, instead of swiping the tablet and scrolling around - all while trying to play guitar. YMMV.

My vote is for the A&H Zed, or if you see a gently used MixWiz, even better. I have a MixWiz3 16:2 and it's served me well.

• Members

If you're not one to read manuals, learn the digital mixer's quirks, or mix with a pad, you should consider the regular an along mixer with knobs. it's really easy to walk up and grab a knob during a show. in one bar of any song you can make a change...not as much with some digital mixers. The digi mixer benefits might be to memorize your mix so if you plug in the same way, all your settings come up. Of course if you're careful, you can do that with an analog mixer too...by not touching it.

go with the A& H or the Peavey. The Peavey PV series, even though they are made really robust, have simple EQ and often not enough monitor sends.

• Members
I know I'll get lambasted for this' date=' but I've used a Peavey 24FX since it came out and have found it a joy to Use. The features are pretty much all you will need. I believe Boomer had a hand in it, but maybe not.[/quote']

I owned a Peavey16fx and used a 32fX a few times and always liked them. I know Boomer did the you tube tutorials on them.

• Members
I know I'll get lambasted for this' date=' but I've used a Peavey 24FX since it came out and have found it a joy to Use. The features are pretty much all you will need. I believe Boomer had a hand in it, but maybe not.[/quote']

I will probably be lambasted as well I went with Peavey:lol: I am just learning this stuff and wanting to stay as simple as I can. I got a Peavey PV20 USB it looks like it will do everything I want lots of very positive reviews as well. It also looks like you don';t have to be a techno geek or very bright to understand how it works. Amazon has them for $459.00 shipped. Also Peavey gives you a 5 year warranty even the high $$$ high recommended stuff only gives you 1 year. If I get into it and find I need more I can always upgrade and pay more. Anyway this is where I am starting with 2 Mackie SRM 450's and 2 older JBL EON 15's.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=A5ZRC4DPYV13E

• Members

Bought one of the small Peavey mixers some years ago for a tiny duo stage. Worked quite well for many years with abuse from everyone. Not my favorite as a mixer (agree'd the EQ is lacking) but the FX were amazingly good for a low end mixer AND it lasted. The A&H would be my choice of the few you presented though. Overall a super versatile, great sounding board and built well too.

.02 worth

• Members

My five-piece rock band runs a Mackie Onyx 24-4. We have a lot of crap on stage and it is (just barely) enough. Six aux sends is very nice. That's four monitor mixes and two channels to the Lexicon MX400. The bass player shares monitors with the drummer and lead guitar.

These are a good deal right now, because everybody is going digital. If I were to do it all over again, I would probably sub-mix the keys and buy a Behringer XR-18....strictly because I'd like to be able to do sound check from the middle of the room, but mix live from stage.

But I really, really like the Mackie Onyx stuff. It's good, reliable, will last forever, and easy to use. The only "gotcha" is that you can't route the "line in" jacks to the mains and still talk on the mic. Hm. Maybe I can still use the talkback mic like that? I should try before the next wedding gig.

Wes

• Members

I'm using a DL1608 and there is some complexity associated with it. But used MixWiz's should be close to your price range and they are solid. Had a CFX12 in the past. Aux 1 went out on it. Outside of that and the sub-group required use, it was fine. (Have to route all channels to a sub-group on that mixer. Only sub-groups and effects go to the mains.)

• Members

If it helps, we use a CFX12 with all mics and instruments through the PA (no separate instrument amps) and it works pretty well for our purposes. That's usually for 4 mics, two guitars, one bass, keys (sometimes stereo).. but with acoustic drums. The effects are good enough for us, since we only use a little reverb or chorus on the mics. Any additional guitar effects come from their individual pedals.

I know it's not large enough for what you (OP) want... but might be applicable to your CFX16 and CFX20 idea. Not a recommendation, just an observation.

-D44

• 2 weeks later...

Archived