For ALL Korg DW-8000 owners

McHale

• Members

The latest software revision for the DW-8000 is version 12. To find out which you have, hold the 1 and 2 key when powering up the DW-8000. The display will tell you what rev it is.

Version 12 was released well after the DW-8000 was discontinued to address the issue of stuck notes (where you'll be playing and one note just won't stop playing even though you're not holding it anymore).

I upgraded my primary DW-8000 to version 12 years ago so I have it. The spare DW-8000 I just picked up has version 11 (I think). The EPROM is an HN4827128G-25. The EPROM is close to the backup battery and is the only chip that isn't soldered to the system board. See the chip with the white sticker that says 850711 in green? That's it.

P1000494-cropped.jpg?t=1294525321

Since they were originally offered by Korg, I haven't seen them offered anyplace since. Is there any interest in getting the latest software for your DW-8000? If there is, I'll buy an EPROM reader and some blank EPROMS. The price would be just a couple bucks more than the actual cost of the EPROM plus shipping.

• Members

If you get into that business, do you think you'll be interested in burning firmware for other synths, such as TX81Z? Same size chip...

I don't see why not. If I can get the ROM code someplace, I can burn anything. Of course, I could also copy an EPROM if someone sent it to me (or I traveled to them). I bought 2 EPROMS for my Behringer at about 20 bucks a piece. If I had bought the EPROM writer then, I wouldn't be asking this question now.

I'm not looking to make more than a couple bucks per EPROM just to help defray costs of the EPROM witer. The main reason I'm doing it is if my DW-8000 EPROM went south, there's not a single place to get the latest software again. And I also know most DW-8000 users out there would like the latest.

I'm thinking the SHIPPED cost of a burned EPROM to be about $10. That figures about $5 per blank EPROM, and the rest for mailing and "donation".

Keep the thoughts coming...

-Mc

• Members

...As i'd like to get one soon.

Me 2. A few months ago, I missed one for > $100 @ ShopGoodwill. I just totally forgot the auction was up that night. :cry:

BTW, McHale, I checked the ROM Ver of my TX81Z, it's 1.5, so I'll stick with that unless I have trouble.

But, if you need the latest bin file for the TX, let me know...

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The latest software revision for the DW-8000 is version 12. To find out which you have, hold the 1 and 2 key when powering up the DW-8000. The display will tell you what rev it is.

Since your PMeses are full..

Can I ask, as a favor to me , if you would like to do a write up on what this is for and what it does and everything? I'd like to feature it as an article on my new website computermusicguide.com

I really enjoy the love and attention these older synths get and if possible, I'd like to get it to a broader audience too.

I'd appreciate it you would, but if not it's cool :)

• Members

Inbox has been cleaned up. I received a bunch of spam messages for cell phones. grrrrrrrrrrr.....

Please send me a PM on what you're looking for and I'll do what I can. I have some hacks listed on here, Karmalabs, and Korg Forums for other Korg synths if you're interested. One of the forum members took my M3 hack which I wrote in about 6 sentences and wrote a fantastic tutorial with destailed description and instructions. That would be a great one.

-Mc

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Is there still interest?

I would be greatly interested in the Yamaha SY99 1.52 ROM images (I did not feel like paying $200 for them on Ebay a couple of weeks ago). Plus I might dig out my Commodore C64 EPROM programmer, if all else fails and help you out - just let me know! :)

• Members

$200 is highway robbery. Do you know anyone with a 1.52 ROM image (file or chip)?

Yeah, that was my first reaction, too - unfortunately I don't know anyone with any ROM image. We're talking SY99, right? Over at the Yamahaforum some seem to have v1.57 but I just cannot get them to extract the chips and download the content... Even though I have 1.57 so I'd need only the 1.57.EX ROM content to access more than 3 MBs of sample RAM. :D

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Hi there I'm a few years late to the conversation, but I own two DW-8000's.. one with V11 and the other with V7... it seems that I'm having trouble with the V7 unit to accept preview patches from MidiQuest while the other unit with the same hardware / settings is able to respond too.

I would love to get the older one updated.. also it makes me wonder.. I remember there being some 3rd party rom that someone made that added things like sample and hold and maybe some other waveforms.. makes me wonder if something like that could be found as well..

Worst case I'm going to be transferring the V11 rom to the other because the one with the older Rom is actually in much better shape and I'm looking to get rid of the other one to make space and sell it for parts / refurbishing for the right person.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

McHale: <<"The latest software revision for the DW-8000 | DW8000 is version 12.">>

Apparently, the latest software revision for the Korg DW-8000 is v. 12; however, I've read elsewhere on the 'net that there is a v. 13 around. Does anybody know about v. 13?. The v. 12 EPROM chips are for sale on eBay for between $35 and $40 dollars from a Seller called "scientific-community."

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=62207&view=next&sid=95fd1476678ae63af78215161bd9a845

http://www.musictechnologiesgroup.com/mtg_eproms.htm

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived