Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good point, Klaus.

Personally I'd do the opposite though: get the 88 and keep [or buy] a 61-note synth-action keyboard.

The disadvantage is obvious: price.

The advantage is also obvious [to me at least]: I don't think there is any 88-note controller worth buying.
    Shoemakers wear the worst shoes.
    You left your ISO on Auto. That's a no-no.
    Click here to search HC forums.
    SoundClick
    SoundCloud
    YouTube

Comment

• : I don't think there is any 88-note controller worth buying.

Personally, I've given some thought towards possibly trading up from my M3-73 to an M3-88. But I don't even know how realistic an option that is, and if I didn't already have one, the M3 would make for a pretty expensive controller.

Keys and Pads: Arturia Analog Laboratory 49, Arturia Spark, Korg Kronos 61, Korg nanoPad 2
      Strings: Carvin Bolt HSS w/ Wilkinson vibrato
      DAWs: FL Studio 10, Sonar X2 Producer
      Plugs: Arturia V Collection 3, Crypton Vocaloid 2 Megurine Luka, Korg Legacy Collection, Madrona Labs Aalto, NI Guitar Rig 5, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.0

Comment

• : I don't think there is any 88-note controller worth buying.

Another factor to me would be weight.

Kronos 61 plus Casio PX3 = same price as Kronos 88, same weight as Kronos 88, but gives you weighted and unweighted boards, in an easy to move combination where each piece weighs under 28 pounds.

Or instead of the PX3, get the Yamaha P95. It weighs just a few pounds more, but will save you hundreds of dollars, and I also think the piano action on the P95 is quite good, better than the action on the PX3, possibly better than RH3 (I haven't had the chance to play them side by side to be sure).

Comment

• I'll get a Kronos if my Korg M3 somehow gets totaled or stolen.

The M3's sound quality is ok for me. The M3 does take up a lot of time for me too, but it's because I've been learning how to use the KARMA features, rather than searching for sounds. The most time I spent searching for sounds was for a particular organ sound to match a songwriting friend's very particular tastes.

If KRONOS lives up to all its press, M3 owners might dump their M3's. That will depress used prices.

I sold my M3M ( and other boards) for the KRONOS.

I definitely liked the M3M and was scratching the surface.

I much prefer investing my learning time in the latest/greatest, in this case.
          I live a life of fearless self invention

If you want to see God laugh, don't make any plans

Good is the Enemy of Great

Comment

• If KRONOS lives up to all its press, M3 owners might dump their M3's. That will depress used prices.

I sold my M3M ( and other boards) for the KRONOS.

I definitely liked the M3M and was scratching the surface.

I much prefer investing my learning time in the latest/greatest, in this case.

It's indeed possible the M3 used prices will drop, but they'll drop sooner or later anyway.

I'm not being paid to play synths/keys. Thus, I have no urgent need to replace the M3 with a Kronos. For me, it is clearly a case of nice-to-have vs. a can't-live-without-it. The Kronos acoustic pianos sound better than any M3 acoustic piano, I must admit, but again that falls into the nice-to-have category for me.

I have a couple of other boards that the Kronos cannot replace - if I ever got a Kronos, it would be their new roommate rather than replacement.

Comment

• I'm not being paid to play, either, atm. But I can justify having an all-in-one that does most all what I need in a player's personal home studio. The Fusion was a step in the right direction, but this baby looks to take her direction, bump it up the next generation, all the while making it affordable. Acoustic pianos, for me, is a Holy Grail. Having subtractive synthesis, classy FX, alternative engines (plucked strings, FM, etc), performance considerations (keeping previous sound while changing patches, set lists, lots of MIDI controllers like sliders or knobs or onscreen control), computer integration, etc...

But I am definitely holding off until I hear enough user reviews, and ultimately, until I get personal one-on-one time with the Kronos. But yeah, why not go with a "less is more" solution, if it fits the musical needs...?

Comment

• Zombie thread lives!

I'm reviving it to let you know that we've posted some new audio demos on www.korg.com/kronos. Click on "Hear Kronos" and you'll see a big list of demos, covering tons of sonic ground. These new demos were played by none other than Jack Hotop, our Senior Voicing Manager. They're streaming MP3s, but we also made them available as downloadable 24-bit WAV files, resampled within Kronos, with no additional conversion.

We've got a couple more in the works, specifically for SGX-1. I'll let you know when we've posted them.

Thanks!
                -Rich
                Richard Formidoni
                Technology Product Manager
                Korg USA, Inc.

Comment

• Cool!

That sound of sweeping the strings in Andreas Gundlach's tune, how is that produced? That's very, very cool.
                  Niels Münster

Comment

• Since nothing is happening in the messe. I think we can revive this and pretend the kronos just came out .

Comment

• Nova Musik stated on their Facebook page Monday at 2:30 CST that the Kronos is going to be shipping any day now.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641981281&sk=wall

Get in line people! @KorgUSA "Kronos" is coming... any day now!!!! Who's excited?

I wish that were true but I think someone's on crack...
                      Response from John from American Musical Supply on why I have received 2 used/damaged Korg M3's and 1 reboxed M3 from Guitar Center (a.k.a. why I'll never buy from AMS again): Footfall wrote:What you're experiencing with these units is the result of our warehouse crew intentionally "overpacking" this product.Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, nanoPAD 2

Comment

• Since nothing is happening in the messe. I think we can revive this and pretend the kronos just came out .

lolwut??

The Monotribe is pretty cool.
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze

Comment

• lolwut??

The Monotribe is pretty cool.

I am referring to the catastrophe called the roland thread.

This thread is here to replace it =).

Comment

• Ah, yes. Motion approved
                            http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze

Comment

• I am enjoying my Microstation, my Microsampler, and my brand new Juno Gi, which I have played and only enjoyed some presets. The Kronos holds the same allure for me that the OASYS does/did. If somebody gave me one, I would treasure it but for me it does not fit my Budget much a the Fantom G7 did not. If I could have something next it would be the M3-73 no question.

Comment

• If I could have something next it would be the M3-73 no question.

I can give you a hell of a deal on mine *AND* I'm passing through your state this weekend. It's fully loaded, it was only used a few hours, and was talked to lovingly the entire time it's been with me.
                                Response from John from American Musical Supply on why I have received 2 used/damaged Korg M3's and 1 reboxed M3 from Guitar Center (a.k.a. why I'll never buy from AMS again): Footfall wrote:What you're experiencing with these units is the result of our warehouse crew intentionally "overpacking" this product.Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, nanoPAD 2

Comment

Working...
                                X