Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really liked the way S4 implemented loop recording, and the mute tool was a valuable addition. But S5 has taken it a step further, giving more control over the individual layers.

Click on the Attachment to see how Cakewalk handles the new track layer features. Note the new Track Layers On/Off button. When on, you see the layers; when off, everything collapses down to the size of the track that contains the layers.

Also note the M(ute) and S(olo) switches just to the left of each take.
    Solos are exclusive (enabling a Solo turns off any existing Solos), while Mutes are additive – you can have as many as you like. The best part of this, though, is that if you have a bunch of mutes set and select Solo, the program remembers which mutes were enabled. If you turn off Solo, the selected mutes go back to their muted status.

You can of course still use the Mute Tool, but once you’ve opened up the layers view, you can overlap tracks (with S4, you couldn’t – anything that overlapped was moved to its own layer). However, there’s also a “rebuild” command that puts overlapping tracks back into their own layers. So a typical scenario for loop recording would be:

1. Record multiple takes, then show the layers.
    2. Use Mute and Solo to determine which tracks are candidates for compositing.
    3. Delete layers that are of no further use.
    4. Go Track > Layers > Compact Layers. This new command automatically expands the heights of any remaining layers to take up space used by the deleted tracks.
    5. Use the Mute tool to “fine tune” which sections of layers you want to use or not use.
    6. Select the clips containing audio you want to use, and choose the “Bounce to Clips” command to collapse them all into a single track.

Of course, you can still crop layers, use the underrated “overlap cropping tool” to crop two clips simultaneously, as well as add layers if you so desire.

If you’re into loop recording, this part of the update is an unqualified home run. Cubase SX used to have the best loop recording; with Sonar 4, Cakewalk achieved parity. But with Sonar 5, I feel Cakewalk has pulled ahead of pretty much any program that does loop recording.
    Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Well I’ve worked with Sonar 5 for a lot of hours now, and it finally crashed. However, I’m almost 100% sure this was caused by a beta version of a plug-in I’m testing (no, I’m not allowed to tell you about it) so I can’t really blame Sonar 5…especially because once I re-opened the program, everything worked as expected.

I'll let you know as soon as I find a repeatable, Sonar 5-related bug.

Comment

This is one of those apparently small – but extremely useful – features. Click on the Attachment to see Waveform Preview in action.

When you click on the Waveform Preview button for a Bus or Soft Synth audio track, Sonar draws the waveform as you play the sequence. Better yet, it turns red wherever there’s clipping (circled in yellow in the screen shot)

For example, in the illustration, Waveform Preview has been switched on for the Master Bus and Effect Send bus. Sonar has been put into play, and is drawing the bus output waveform.

Okay, so it’s nice eye candy…but much more importantly, it gives you a much better idea of how the levels are shaping up. It’s easy to see if levels are higher or lower than expected, and especially easy to see if there was any clipping. Besides, didn’t that big empty space in the Clips view next to a bus bug you? Well, now there’s something to fill it up.

But this is only one part of the equation: Sonar 5 also has sophisticated peak-finding options so you can locate precisely where level “overs” or other issues might be occurring, and their exact values.

We’ll get into that in a bit, but it's time to put dinner together. Well, hopefully I’ll be back after a nice meal

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton
          Well I’ve worked with Sonar 5 for a lot of hours now, and it finally crashed. However, I’m almost 100% sure this was caused by a beta version of a plug-in I’m testing (no, I’m not allowed to tell you about it) so I can’t really blame Sonar 5…especially because once I re-opened the program, everything worked as expected.

I'll let you know as soon as I find a repeatable, Sonar 5-related bug.

SONAR 4 displays the waveform as well while recording. What is the difference? (My S5 won't come in till Wed)

Thanks,

Roberto

Comment

I think he is referring to drawing the wav files next to the busses.
            Toyz- a bunch of really cool ****************.

Comment

I think the other point is that it draws the WAVs in the "bus lane" as well a pointing out where the peaks are, and leaving that indication right in the wav file, rather than you having to guess where the over was simply by noting that there was a peak SOMEWHERE in the tune.

Also, he mentions some ability to calculate where the peaks got to the buses from - did I just imagine this part?

Comment

<<SONAR 4 displays the waveform as well while recording. What is the difference? (My S5 won't come in till Wed)>>

Sonar 4 draws waveforms in tracks while recording. S5 can do that, but also draw waveforms in busses and soft synth audio tracks while playing back (or recording).

<<I think he is referring to drawing the wav files next to the busses.>>

Yes, but the soft synth track thing is very useful too.

<<I think the other point is that it draws the WAVs in the "bus lane" as well a pointing out where the peaks are, and leaving that indication right in the wav file, rather than you having to guess where the over was simply by noting that there was a peak SOMEWHERE in the tune.>>

Exactly. We're getting a little bit ahead of ourselves, though...

<<Also, he mentions some ability to calculate where the peaks got to the buses from - did I just imagine this part?>>

I think you imagined it from a different post I did in the "Volume Wars" thread, on how to get a louder sound without using excessive compression.

Comment

Interesting…when I loaded the Sonar project I’d been working on before dinner, it sounded fine – but the audio Clips had no visible audio waveform. Huh? If I zoomed in enough, a waveform would appear; but if I zoomed out past a certain point, the waveform would just disappear, and the clip looked as if it had no audio recorded in it (even though there was).

As the clip was a loop from the Discrete Drums series, I just brought the loop in again, and you could see the waveform. I quit Sonar and re-opened it, just to check; the audio was both audible and visible. Maybe this was just a glitch…we’ll see what happens over the next few days.

Okay, about Peak Markers: While playing back a track and/or bus, the Peak Markers follow along behind the cursor and indicate the highest value attained up to the point where playback stops. Click on the Attachment to see how these markers appear in a track and two buses (one master and one effects). It’s as if you took the little numeric that shows up in the track’s title bar, and moved it to the location where the peak actually occurred.

I’ve always enjoyed the feature in Wavelab where you could jump to peaks, and in Sonar, the Peak Markers really help in terms of trying to track down the source of any distortion. For example, if you see distortion in a bus, you can check whether any of the tracks had usually loud levels at that point.

There’s somewhat anomalous behavior while looping. During the first pass of the loop, everything works as expected. But suppose during the second pass, you suddenly turn up the effects send and there’s an overload on the bus being feed by the loop. The marker will show up in the bus where it would have appeared if you had “rolled out” the loop to twice its length. As another example, if turning up of the effects send happened on the third pass, it would show up in the bus where it would have appeared if the three looped segments had been placed end to end and not looped.

I can handle that, though. It seems the Peak Marker function is really more for playing back tracks during the mixing process, as it gives exceptionally useful insights into what’s happening with the headroom (and where anything is happening, too). Also note that you can jump to a peak in case it's off-screen - nice.

Comment

Craig,
                    Sonar 4 does not seem to support drag and drop MIDI files when using Spectrasonics Rtylus RMX...I have tried it and it doesn't work...has this changed in Sonar 5?
                    thanks!
                    p.s. your interactive reviews are extremely helpful!

Comment

Good Stuff man Keep up the good work, Keep it coming!

Comment

But this is only one part of the equation: Sonar 5 also has sophisticated peak-finding options so you can locate precisely where level “overs” or other issues might be occurring, and their exact values.

I think I just extrapolated my bits from yours here! . I have a good imagination and thought maybe this applied back from the bus level to the individual tracks, but is apparently only at EITHER the track OR bus level that you can see "overs", not where tracks combine to produce the over at the bus level, right?

Nevermind me...just babbling, really.

Glad you're posting this stuff during the wait time the rest of us are having to spend. I imagine that you'll be getting even more commentary in the thread once a few folks get their hands on it and can try what you are talking about.

Comment

Awesome jump-start on the new
                          release features - thanks, Craig!

Any chance you'll be covering the
                          supposedly improved MIDI
                          Step Entry ?

One feature request that I and a few
                          other CW Sonar forum folks wished
                          for was a Step Entry feature that
                          enabled one to choose duration x, etc.
                          from the Qwerty keyboard, and
                          play notes on MIDI input keyboard,
                          moving by steps,
                          backspace would erase backwards,
                          space would input a rest of duration x

(Remember the ease of entry from
                          MasterTracks Pro?)

- FT
                          --
                          Freddie Tane
                          www.tanetunes.com

Comment

Originally posted by D Charles
                            I got really excited about Sonar 5 until I read the system requirements. It no longer supports win 2K pro. I finally got a great stable computer together and I don't want to upgrade to Sonar 5 and have to buy XP in one gulp.

Dragsville.

Starting with SONAR 5, we no longer officially support Windows 2000. That said, if you're using the latest Service Pack from Microsoft, you should be OK.

However, we may not be able to offer you direct technical assistance should you run into any problems.
                            Alex Westner
                            Director of Product Management
                            http://www.cakewalk.com

Comment

This is one of those apparently small – but extremely useful – features. Click on the Attachment to see Waveform Preview in action.

When you click on the Waveform Preview button for a Bus or Soft Synth audio track, Sonar draws the waveform as you play the sequence. Better yet, it turns red wherever there’s clipping (circled in yellow in the screen shot)

For example, in the illustration, Waveform Preview has been switched on for the Master Bus and Effect Send bus. Sonar has been put into play, and is drawing the bus output waveform.

Okay, so it’s nice eye candy…but much more importantly, it gives you a much better idea of how the levels are shaping up. It’s easy to see if levels are higher or lower than expected, and especially easy to see if there was any clipping. Besides, didn’t that big empty space in the Clips view next to a bus bug you? Well, now there’s something to fill it up.

We’ll get into that in a bit, but it's time to put dinner together. Well, hopefully I’ll be back after a nice meal

And the peak-finding option is also just part of the equation.

Another thing that's very cool about the synth track and bus waveform preview feature is that it helps you draw automation envelopes on buses and synth tracks because you can see exactly where your automation will be applied.
                              Alex Westner

Comment

Interesting…when I loaded the Sonar project I’d been working on before dinner, it sounded fine – but the audio Clips had no visible audio waveform. Huh? If I zoomed in enough, a waveform would appear; but if I zoomed out past a certain point, the waveform would just disappear, and the clip looked as if it had no audio recorded in it (even though there was).

As the clip was a loop from the Discrete Drums series, I just brought the loop in again, and you could see the waveform. I quit Sonar and re-opened it, just to check; the audio was both audible and visible. Maybe this was just a glitch…we’ll see what happens over the next few days.

Okay, about Peak Markers: While playing back a track and/or bus, the Peak Markers follow along behind the cursor and indicate the highest value attained up to the point where playback stops. Click on the Attachment to see how these markers appear in a track and two buses (one master and one effects). It’s as if you took the little numeric that shows up in the track’s title bar, and moved it to the location where the peak actually occurred.

I’ve always enjoyed the feature in Wavelab where you could jump to peaks, and in Sonar, the Peak Markers really help in terms of trying to track down the source of any distortion. For example, if you see distortion in a bus, you can check whether any of the tracks had usually loud levels at that point.

There’s somewhat anomalous behavior while looping. During the first pass of the loop, everything works as expected. But suppose during the second pass, you suddenly turn up the effects send and there’s an overload on the bus being feed by the loop. The marker will show up in the bus where it would have appeared if you had “rolled out” the loop to twice its length. As another example, if turning up of the effects send happened on the third pass, it would show up in the bus where it would have appeared if the three looped segments had been placed end to end and not looped.

I can handle that, though. It seems the Peak Marker function is really more for playing back tracks during the mixing process, as it gives exceptionally useful insights into what’s happening with the headroom (and where anything is happening, too). Also note that you can jump to a peak in case it's off-screen - nice.

Glad you're liking this feature - it's definitely turning into the big "sleeper feature" of SONAR 5 - in all of the pre-release preview demos we've given to our sales teams and distributors, this one always pops out as one of those things where they're like, "Duh, of course, that's awesome!"

I'll have our QA team check into that bug, Craig, and I'll keep you posted.
                                Alex Westner

Comment

Working...
                                X