Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Speaking of computers, what are you using - desktop, laptop, or tablet?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of computers, what are you using - desktop, laptop, or tablet?

I'm just curious as to what you folks are using for a computer recording platform, so I thought I'd put up a poll. It's multiple choice, so please feel free to select more than one answer if that's appropriate to your situation.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

So far, it's 100% desktop. Oh yeah- I'm the only one so far...
    <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;I'm a mur-diddly-urdler!&quot;<br />
    <a href="http://www.tbushrecording.com" target="_blank">www.tbushrecording.com</a></div>

Comment

I used a Mac G4 tower for about 12 years, running PTLE. Late last year, I upgraded to a 21" i5 basic iMac, upgraded to PT Native 10 and upgraded various plugins to current versions. I only record solo fingerstyle acoustic and classical guitar, and occasionally vocal/guitarists. No need for a powerhouse computer.

Comment

eMac running PTLE

It's very stable, and very low-powered - with little more than 8 stereo tracks (16 mono) and an aux return or 2, it goes

Within its limits, it's a great machine

I'm planning on installing PTLE on my HP laptop on monday to do some field recording. I'm expecting it to be far less stable than the eMac, mainly because of the puny amount of memory that the laptop has
        flip the phase

Comment

Well it was SUPPOSED to be multiple choice...

Since it isn't, please select whatever you use the most often, and then tell us about the other things in a post if you'd be so kind.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Mac Pro here.

I don't think iMacs and the like belong in the "tower" category as they lack multiple internal drive bays and PCIe slots.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Zooey
              View Post

Mac Pro here.

I don't think iMacs and the like belong in the "tower" category as they lack multiple internal drive bays and PCIe slots.

Good point. I separated them into two options.

- George Carlin

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe
                View Post

Aaawww man!

Can I change my vote?
                flip the phase

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe
                  View Post

My vote should be changed also.

Comment

My vote stays the same. For my daw (PT HD), an iMac is the functional equivalent of a laptop in a slightly less portable form factor. You can't use it without an external chassis.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by gubu
                      View Post

Aaawww man!

Can I change my vote?

Quote Originally Posted by sdelsolray
                      View Post

My vote should be changed also.

Two votes removed from Tower and added to All-in-One (iMac, etc.). If that's incorrect, please let me know.

- George Carlin

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Zooey
                        View Post

My vote stays the same. For my daw (PT HD), an iMac is the functional equivalent of a laptop in a slightly less portable form factor. You can't use it without an external chassis.

Quite true. My desktop and laptop are running two different versions of the program. That's less of a limitation than it once was, but I definitely can't run all the same things on the laptop that I can on the TDM setup. I've been thinking about either getting a Magma chassis, or maybe a Apollo or a PT Native Thunderbolt or something along those lines for the laptop. Not sure which way I'm going to go yet, but I sure love the portability of the laptop. Seemed to me that while the iMac would have been a slightly faster machine, from a DAW standpoint, it does sit in that "in-between" zone - without the mobility of a laptop, but also without the card slots of a tower. A good deal for many people, but less of an ideal fit for my needs.

- George Carlin

Comment

Tower for me. I build my own DAW computers, usually based on hardware recommendations from the DUC. My current system was built for PT HD with a Jetway motherboard that has four PCI slots. Since then I've switched from HD to HD Native with the PCIe card, but the computer still works just fine. It'll probably be a while before I make any changes, unless something comes along that forces it.
                          Joshua L.<br>Decatur, AL

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by MrJoshua
                            View Post

My current system was built for PT HD with a Jetway motherboard that has four PCI slots. Since then I've switched from HD to HD Native with the PCIe card, but the computer still works just fine.

Just out of curiosity, which specific mobo and CPU are you running?

- George Carlin

Comment

I voted desktop, but right now my work flow goes like this. Church services recorded off an A&H ilive through Dante into a Mac mini with a external FireWire drive in Reaper. Transferred to my MacBook Pro for editing, initial mixing and transferred to Pro Tools. Final mixing done on a hackintosh. I do occasional mobile recording straight into Pro Tools with my MBP. And I can do pretty much everything with my MBP but do push it's limits. The hack has plenty of power and my mc mix attached in my treated room. So it's def my go to preference.
                              ∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ Metric Halo 2882 Expanded +DSP, Event 20/20 bas, Etymotic ER4-PT and HF3, MacBook Pro 15" (early 2011 w/2.2 ghz i7 quad, 8GB Ram, 480 GB SSD), Pro Tools 11, Harrison Mixbus, and Reaper. Godin Progression, Godin LGSP-90 (NAMM ed.), Godin LGX-SA into an 11 Rack controlled by a FCB1010 with an Eureka Prom. A bunch of other stuff lying around.

Comment

Working...
                              X