Another hairbrained idea for free...

1001gear

• Members

Works great till somebody walks by with a big magnet... but the same could be said of a hard drive.

They used to use the same idea back in the 50s & 60s, using very fine wires hand threaded through the center of thousands of ferrite doughnuts which were read by pulsing a small current through the wires and sensing what voltage developed in response. They were used on early space flights, before electronic memory was developed. They were written to by using a larger current to magnetize the doughnut with a new polarity. It was called magnetic core memory.

Here is what a 1024 bit (128 byte) memory looked like:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KL_CoreMemory.jpg

It would probably be a decade or so to develop a way to build them using integrated circuit build techniques. It would be tough to compete with the solid state memories already in the market. But they'd have advantages in certain environments where electronic stuff tends to die, like high radioactivity areas.

(Hey, I don't mean to sound like Mr. Wizard here or anything... I just have some expertise in the area)

• Members
Thank heaven that the grammar police are making sure our frail dear old Grammar is safe....

I have a Masters Degree in English Lit.

It is good for absolutely nothing but maybe helping me do crossword puzzles a little quicker than others...and roaming sites like this...looking to score a grammar faux pas.

For the record...I am NOT a member of the plebeian Grammar Police...

I am a Ges-typo Officer.

• Members

I hold vigil for the "ly" lost from the posteriors of adverbs everywhere... that and the myriad missing black and yellow "D" s lost forever from the many "oversize(D!!!!!!!!) load banners on semis... (most any punctuation, some correct speeling ,hahahaha, and any capitalized letters are done by either mistake silly design or auto correct as I prescribe to the ee cummings school of letter manipulation... thank you

yes, the elipses... well... so...

​ still laughing @ gestypo!

Archived