Strange concert combinations?

Rabid

• Moderators

Los Lobos opening for The Clash at the Colosium in LA in the 80's. Seems like it would work... except Los Lobos decided they would share their Norteno side. All the LA punks and wannabes went berserk. Booing at them to get off... it was ugly. Los Lobos held steady and played their set with all traditional instruments.

Then there was the Boomtown Rats opening for a largely hard rock festival in LA around the same time. Van Halen, Aerosmith, Ted Nugent... but out walks Bob Geldof and Johnny Fingers in his pajamas. The massive festival crowd was brutal. Geldof took out a pocket camera and told the crowd to sod off. Said he wanted a pic of the lovely people of LA to send home to his mum. Then he flipped the crowd the bird and the 40,000 member army did the same. That must be a pretty funny picture.

• Members

Terry Adams of NRBQ opening for the Texas Playaboys. I was expecting a crowd of serious music appreciators. I figured anybody who dug both NRBQ and the Texas Playboys had really good taste in music. It turned out though that most of the crowd there were in cowboy attire or were very conseratively dressed country folk. They did not care for Terry Adams's avant garde-isms. I would imagine that I and the friend that went with me were the only folks there who dug Terry Adams. The Texas Playboys were very entertaining too though Tommy Allsup had some equipment malfunctions.

• Members

The Neil Young "Bridge Benefit" often has some weird lineups

like Tracey Chapman and Acousitc Billy Idol/Steve Stevens (which, actually rocked -- though Billy couldn't seem to get out of Rebel Yell character and billy gyrating his hips at kids with disabilities was a bit disturbing)

• Members

Originally posted by philbo

That would have to be my very first concert -

opening act: The Jimi Hendrix Experience

headliner: The Monkees

At the Col Ballroom in Davenport Iowa, sometime around 1967

I bought a replica of the concert promotion poster for that tour (I think in Jacksonville, FL). I can't imagine what it was like. What promoter thought up that combination?

• Members

That would have to be my very first concert -

opening act: The Jimi Hendrix Experience

headliner: The Monkees

At the Col Ballroom in Davenport Iowa, sometime around 1967

Dude, you really do rock!

Possibly the oddest for me:

Yes (headliner)

Edgar Winter

Black Pearl (or Black Oak Arkansas -- either way)

The Eagles

(LA Forum)

Runner up: Albert King opening for the Byrds (Pasadena Rose Palace)

double bill that should NOT have worked but did:

The Germs and Love

[the 'first wave' LA punks were a very eclectic, open-minded lot who were, by and large, driven farther underground by the "just-cut-our-hair" headbanger punks who were drawn when the LA times started promoting that fab new dance, "The Slam"]

And, actually, speaking of the Clash...

Their first "big" show in LA (the 3000 seat Santa Monica Civic) had Bo Didley opening... that one made me a little nervous, since it was around '79 and there were a lot of "second wave" types there [and the ugly mess when Prince opened for the mainstream Rolling Stones audience at one of their stadium shows was fresh in my mind] ... but it was great, the audience was into it, very respectful and those who didn't get it hung out in the large lobby.

________

Focusing just for a sec on bad treatment by the audience of opening acts...

I was a HUGE Rory Gallagher fan and went to see him most every time he came to LA well into the 80s... but I have to say that the way his audiences treated opening acts was really quite shameful.

Granted, they just wanted to get on with the show, get Rory up there... but, damn, they were brutal.

The worst was some hapless new wave band. The only thing that might have been worse was if they opened for GBH or something.

And the only opening act I ever saw treated halfway respectably by Rory's audience was a black gospel group (I can't even remember whom) made up of older guys... and even then there was still some grumbling, but at least no cat calls or booing.

• Members

I was at one of the strangest pairings on record: British proto-punks Dr. Feelgood opening for Gentle Giant in '77 in a college gymnasium. The fervent GG crowd was relentless in their booing of Dr. Feelgood.

Then GG played a set so fine, so exquisite, and so acoustically unlike anything you've ever heard in a college gymasium that many of my friends are still not convinced they weren't pantomiming to tape.

Here is a clip from a London concert a mere 2 months after the one of which I speak. if you like GG (the only prog band I can stomach any more) you wil dig this immensely.

Gentle Giant

And here's

on The Old Grey Whistle Test in '75. You do the math...

and, BTW, the pairing of GG and Dr. Feelgood was actually GG's way of trying to promote the "harder, more streamlined" sound of the album they were flogging at the time, The Missing Piece

• Members

Originally posted by songrytr

The Ramones opening for Black Sabbath at the old Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino. Christmas 1979

Joey got beaned with a beer bottle about three songs in and that was that.

At least I can say I got to see the Ramones.

That's something that makes sense on paper -- in a world where only music matters and you're not dealing with the reality of changing sociocultural paradigms...

Today, if such a billing was possible, it would probably be a huge draw and go down great.

But then... nostalgia is the great leveller...

Gentle Giant was really great... you either got 'em or you didn't. Almost none of my friends got them. The guy who turned me on to Captain Beefheart and Charles Lloyd and the Sex Pistols didn't get them. Drummers seemed to get them, for obvious reasons, I guess.

They and Can (and my sentimental faves Family) were probably the only prog bands I found myself listeninig to after the punk/new music revolution thingie...

• Members

Originally posted by songrytr

The Ramones opening for Black Sabbath at the old Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino. Christmas 1979

Joey got beaned with a beer bottle about three songs in and that was that.

At least I can say I got to see the Ramones.

That's twilight zone quality stuff there...I woulda loved to be at that show.

• Members

Originally posted by Picker

I bought a replica of the concert promotion poster for that tour (I think in Jacksonville, FL). I can't imagine what it was like. What promoter thought up that combination?

The thing was, I was really too young to 'get' Jimi Hendrix - - musically I just wasn't ready for him (I was like 13 at the time). Most of what he did sounded like random noise to me at the time...

I was there to see my idols at the time, The Monkees. :D

• Members

Tom Petty and Prince at the George Harrison tribute concert. I thought Prince was pretty brilliant, by the way. I also think it took Petty until the end of the song (While My Guitar Gently Weeps) to get into what Price was playing.

• Members

The thing was, I was really too young to 'get' Jimi Hendrix - - musically I just wasn't ready for him (I was like 13 at the time). Most of what he did sounded like random noise to me at the time...

I was there to see my idols at the time, The Monkees.
:D

I saw Mike Nesmith as a duo with his fine pedal steel player Red Rhodes back in the mid-70s and he told a story of that tour...

As the tour was starting up, they all ended up in the same hotel. Nesmith said he was really excited about Hendrix though the Monkees management seemed unaware of who Hendrix was, seeming to think he was the latest teenybop heartthrob...

Nesmith said he knew it was going to be an interesting tour when, waiting for an elevator at the hotel, he was surprised to see the doors open on Jimi, Noel, and Mitch, totally decked out in their hippie finest... Nesmith swore he was sober but that there were little purple spirals swirling out of Hendrix' eyes...

Archived