No announcement yet.

Mastering on Foo Fighters CD

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mastering on Foo Fighters CD

Wow, this thing is crushed. I can hear a lot of pumping, such as when the vocals or kick drum come in. It's really heavy-handed. Anyone hear this CD yet?
    Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

The last couple Foo discs have been... gawd, I can't even talk about it. I have no idea what's going on there. Or what the point is. I mean, it's unlistenable. I cannot listen to them.
    Music, thoughts, stuff, and... I guess that's all

Comment

I was listening to something with such excessive vocal compression...yeah, it was "Can't Stop" on RHCP's By the Way. Listen to the last couple of acapella lines. Whoa. It's like the LA2A (or whatever compressor was used) is the instrument itself and not Anthony's voice. Abosultely air-tight squash. I found myself having to go outside just to breathe.

Comment

See... the problem is not what most folks think -- simply too much program limiting/compression.

The real problem is that when you have that kind of soul-crushing, air-sucking compression you also have to have massive amounts of full-auto AutoTune to "balance" things out...

One without the other is like, I don't know, pounding nails into your hand without also first smacking your head against a concrete building a number of times...

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

That's too bad - they're one of the newer bands I like.
          We (Freq Loop, my band) play a cover of 'Everlong' - that one has some fairly awesome dynamic range.

Comment

I almost used the term "ducking" to describe what happens on some of the songs when the drums punch in on the intros, then stop playing for a measure, then punch in again, etc. You can hear the guitar drop down instantly, then rise up again in volume. Really heavy-handed. Really, this does not sound good at all.

I LOVE the newest RHCP 2-CD release. It's some fantastic music. And that's crushed too. But I find this new Foo Fighters release to be even more heavy-handed in its compression.
            Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

I have to say that the 'mastering' for one of the few contemporary rock bands I really like, Modest Mouse, is often painfully overcompressed. It's not as bad as a lot of stuff, maybe, but it's plenty bad enough for a band that should have so much room in a lot of their music.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

Big question: is it done out of ignorance... or conscientously as a "sound" ?
                Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. Wayne Thiebaud

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Comment

Big question: is it done out of ignorance... or conscientously as a "sound" ?

Correction: is it done out of ignorance... or conscientiously as a "crappy sound" ?

Sorry but you'd have quite an argument on your hands were this in the defense of art. It sounds like **************** plain and simple, otherwise we wouldn't have these threads. Dance music has been doing it, though in that genre you compress the reverb. It's kind of a similar effect.. (especially considering the hotness of reverb tails you'd get with loud mastering anyway).

You'd think they could at least use different compressors or settings for different parts of a song - maybe it could help - but nooooooooooo.
                  The new blog: http://synonymmusic.blogspot.com/

Originally posted by Walters9515
                  yes he is SIG:

[...]where is where but where could where be because where is he to where ,where

I know u have a full blow studio where and haven't ever heard what a envelope follower is or have never used one in your life beside with a Quack which u are quacking like a rubber ducky in a tub

Comment

This kind of thing has been happening for so long now
                    I think it's safe to assume it is "The New Sound".

I don't hear many kids saying "The new Foo Fighters Album
                    sucks .... it's way over compressed...".
                    I do hear many kids saying "The new Foo Fighters album is awesome man!"

Comment

Same deal on their previous album.
                      I love the energy and the tunes.
                      However, I can barely stand to listen to it on a good system.
                      Psst... Wanna check out some free tunes?
                      http://www.broadjam.com/artists/home.php?artistID=3448

Comment

I once bought a Neumann M149 microphone because of it's sound quality, can you imagine that?
                        Aka the 'sign' of MP

Comment

When I master stuff, I often have the label(s) ask for a louder remaster. The most common reason is that it doesn't sems as loud as other (insert overly squashed band here) stuff on my iPod.

AAARRGGHHH!!!! IS THAT LOUD ENOUGH FOR YA!
                          Support Live Music!

Comment

IMHO it's way too late to be bemoaning the fact that most of today's music
                            is overly compressed to the point of compromising the fidelity.

The majority of today's music consumers don't care about fidelity.
                            They want it loud and they want it now.....
                            To be perceived as not as loud as the previous or next song
                            in the list is anathema!
                            It's got to the point where music that isn't squashed sounds old fashioned
                            and out of date....
                            This is a sea change in musical perception.
                            It's generational to a large extent.
                            It's one of the many things that defines today's
                            generation from yesterdays...

Just like music with distorted guitar defined the rock generation
                            from previous ones.....
                            To this day there are many older people who can't stand distorted guitar.
                            Or music being played VERY LOUD!!!
                            But it never went away.... it's more popular than ever now.
                            People who complain and moan about overly compressed music
                            remind me of the older generation who complain about distorted
                            guitar or music being played too loud....
                            They are a part of the previous paradigm and largely irrelevant
                            to the new one.

Comment

Fretwizz, I don't care about "majority of today's music consumers" who don't care about fidelity.

I'm an audio engineer and a musician. I care about fidelity, and that's all that matters.

Music has become increasingly heavily compressed for about twenty years now, particularly pop and rock music.

But regardless, if something really sticks out in my head as being highly detrimental to the music, I'm interested in discussing it. I didn't start a thread on the RHCP most recent release even though it too is heavily compressed. I didn't start a thread on Kanye West's or Timbaland's stuff being heavily compressed either.

But when I can hear pumping and breathing this obvious, since I'm interested in audio, I'm going to want to discuss it. Have you heard the CD? It's not just loud - it sounds like it's being "ducked". Maybe you should listen to what we're talking about before making assumptions and insinuating that I'm similar to older generations that didn't like loud guitars.

Comment

Working...
                              X