Mastering on Foo Fighters CD

• Members

Ken - I bet you the drop in the guitars was Rick Ruben.

John,

Thanks. I'm talking about the Foo Fighters production where the "drop" (pumping) of the track, including the guitars, is concerned. And Rick Rubin didn't produce this, Gil Norton did. But did Gil do this, or was it butchered in mastering?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echoes%2C_Silence%2C_Patience_%26_Grace

Anyway, for some reason, the pumping is not as noticeable in my big-ass boom box as it is in my car. In the car, it sounds heinous, prompting this post!

The RHCP is still listenable, although lacking dynamics. That's why I didn't start a post on that. But the Foo Fighters thing is over the top.

You can't just get louder and louder by adding stuff, you have to take stuff away sometimes.

That's exactly right. At some point, it's going to pump. The guitars are gonna "duck" away when the thundering kick comes in. And at that point, I would think that as an engineer or mastering engineer, you'd think, "Okay, that's enough." :D

But no, we've gone waaaaaay past that!!!! :D:D

• Members

".....Anyway, for some reason, the pumping is not as noticeable in my big-ass boom box as it is in my car. In the car, it sounds heinous, prompting this post!....."

Does your car stereo have ASL?

It's an acronym for "Automatic Sound Levelling"

or something similar and lot's of modern cars have it......

I always look for it and turn it off........

• Members

Gil Norton/Adrian Bushby

and Rick Rubin

seem to be our direct culprits.... I say we ask them directly.
Wassup widdat?

I'm confused about the questioning of the loudness of Foo Fighters. I saw a commercial in the Sweetwater Catalog for Mics and it reads.

"These guys are so loud, it scares you."

Patrick/AI

• Members

i was goign to say the same thing... it has similar effect of broadcast limiters for radio stations with heavily compressed albums.

• Members

I don't know, actually. I didn't know car stereos had this. I have a 2003 Escape with the factory car stereo. I'll check it out.

• Members

Sitting in the crushing rush hour traffic this morning, I poked around and found that the car stereo does have a compressor.

I don't have the Foo Fighters CD in the car right now, but my guess is that the car stereo's compressor was on since what I experienced before was so unbelievably compressed and mutilated that the compressor had to have been on!!! :D

Thanks Fretwizz and Alphajerk for letting me know about car stereos having compression now.

• Members

yeah, and they arent particularly good ones at that.... another problem, depending on listening level is crappy amps and speakers in the systems... bose an upgrade? i would rather listen to a 96kbps mp3 than bose speakers. aside from having a mark levinson lexus, i tear stock systems out immediately and put in a proper system. shame they are ignoring the DIN standards how in the dash on so many cars. like i want to be stuck with their {censored}ty convertors.

• Members

I didn't have a chance to test the Foo Fighters CD, but I did test another CD, turning the compression on and off. Wow, does it just utterly blow. Really bad audio. Little wonder I thought the Foo Fighters mastering was horrible enough to complain about. Thankfully, it appears to be the car stereo.

• Members

along those same lines. Its funny to listen to the Foo's single 'The Pretender" on the radio.. The beginning starts so low in volume that the radio stations compression tries so hard to bring up the volume. The song actually really gets lost on the radio a little (like most) because of the big volume changes. I'm glad radio wasn't the priority though when mixing.

Archived