Anyone ever use an LDC for a snare mic?

UstadKhanAli

• Members

I'm doing a drum session, and decided to side-mic the snare with a Lawson L251 through a Neve Portico. So far, it sounds really good, a very balanced snare sound. Anyone tried this? I've heard of people using SDCs (KM 84s, etc.) as the single mic for the snare, or using 414s (LDCs) for the bottom of the two mics, but not using an LDC as the only mic.

• Members

My all time favorite snare mic is actually a 414. Usually in figure 8 with the null sides pointed at the hat and rack tom.

It's pretty common to use an LDC for snare, actually... more than you might think, anyway. That said, the specific mic does matter a lot. Some of them catch way too much of the hat and give it a seriously annoying quality. So if you try one or two LDC mics and they don't work for you, don't give up on the idea of LDC's for snare altogether. Some of them work great, others are pretty horrible.

• Members

So I can't patent the idea? I was hoping that it could be named after me. I Googled and found several references, but wasn't sure how common an LDC was for snare.

So far, so good. Getting more of the character of the snare. I have it in fig-8 right now. Still tweaking out the drums. I have an Avenson ST0-2 on the kick, which has a lot of tone and impact.

Maybe you have this impression given that LCDs are more vulnerable to higher SPLs and people tend to use SDCs instead for the places with more pressure.

But these days of relatively affordable good-quality LCDs using with care a LCD for the snare is pretty common.

The technique is actually named "LLW" (Lozada Loves Women).

• Members

yep, been doing it for YEARS now. its a main snare mic for me. 414 in F8 with the hat in the null on the side is wonderful. a U195 on the side in FAT is incredible. great body and almost everything great about the snare w/o that top ring a top mic gets that everyone wants to dampen.

• Moderators

My all time favorite snare mic is actually a 414. Usually in figure 8 with the null sides pointed at the hat and rack tom.

It's pretty common to use an LDC for snare, actually... more than you might think, anyway. That said, the specific mic does matter a lot. Some of them catch way too much of the hat and give it a seriously annoying quality. So if you try one or two LDC mics and they don't work for you, don't give up on the idea of LDC's for snare altogether. Some of them work great, others are pretty horrible.

I did that as well with a 414 on Lee's suggestion. It's nice for lighter playing or something with nuance. Ghost notes are cool this way. It reminds me of some of the 60's pop hits where the snare is crisp but realistic.

• Members

here are two more... a ribbon underneath the snare pointed at that on the backside and the kick on the front [make sure you have the phase of the top/fok mics opposite of that one].

a new one [for me] from a friend is an omni [he uses a coke bottle mic] on the top rim of the kick. pointed at the drummers crotch/leg.

• Members

on the top rim of the kick. pointed at the drummers crotch/leg.

Whenever I've had to record a drum kit with only one mic, that's exactly what I do. It seems to get the best balance of the whole kit.

Kinda makes me wonder what a stereo XY pair would sound like there.

• Members

Whenever I've had to record a drum kit with only one mic, that's exactly what I do. It seems to get the best balance of the whole kit.

Kinda makes me wonder what a stereo XY pair would sound like there.

id try Blumien over XY personally to get both sides of it... its a hard [tight] location however with sticks flying.

• Members

Yeah, good point... probably why I've never tried it. Well, that and like I say I've only ever done it when I only have one mic available. Lots of TASCAM portastudio recordings I did that way.
:D

though instead of a SDC omni pointed at the crotch, i wonder about a LDC in omni with the two sides facing the two sides of the kit...

• Members

The snare sounds really good. The drummer and everyone in the band was super happy. There's much more character to the snare.

The other thing that really helped the overall drum sound was the use of four RealTraps Mini-Traps surrounding the drum set. They make such a huge difference in the sound.

And finally, the "reason" I did this in the first place is that I inadvertently loaned out all my 57s and left a 421 at the rehearsal studio. After some thinking, I thought, "Well, maybe I'll try the Lawson (LDC) here. Should work." But wow. That captured a lot more character than a 57 or a 421 ever did on the snare. It's difficult to determine how much of it was the Lawson, and how much of it was the RealTraps since I hadn't used either for drums before. But wow.

• Members

I usually use a LDC on snare (Dragonfly, 414, or u87) when I'm playing brushes, or a more gentle, softer stick approach. It all depends on the song and the desired sonic character...

Jon

I have no doubt that an LDC would just *rule* for brushes or hot rods. Wow. These three songs were more or less rock songs, although the last one was slightly jazzy. But no brushes or hot rods. It picked up the ghost notes, but I've never had a problem picking up the ghost notes. What it did for me is impart more of the snare's tone rather than sounding "bangy". But yeah, can't wait to try it on brushes.

• Members

There's much more character to the snare.

'bout soiled yourself, didn't ya?

I'll never forget the first time I put the 414 on the snare. It was like I had suddenly become a master engineer.

Which, of course, is all psychological.:lol: But, for a while, I was on top of the world.

One benefit I experienced with this was, I was able to tell a drummer, with more certainty than ever before, that he needed to tune his f@#(@#$&*^g drums or get a different snare...and he did not argue. :D

• CMS Author

Maybe you have this impression given that LCDs are more vulnerable to higher SPLs and people tend to use SDCs instead for the places with more pressure..

Naw, but bigger mics make easier targets for the stray drum stick. There are lots of expendable large capsule condenser mics these days, but a Lawson isn't one of them.

I don't see any reason not to use whatever mic sounds good. Nothing special about that.

• Members

Naw, but bigger mics make easier targets for the stray drum stick. There are lots of expendable large capsule condenser mics these days, but a Lawson isn't one of them.

Yeah, that was more it. You put it right by the snare, and look out!!! I knew it'd be able to handle the SPLs. Also, I just never really thought about doing it before. I was actually hunting around for an extra SDC when it occurred to me that the Lawson might make a good snare mic.

Archived