George Benson - Give Me the Night

boosh

• Members

One of My favorite songs ever,.........

This is actually the stuff that got me interested in music when I was a kid. Set aside the rock and roll ,soul, R&B and hilbillie stuff my dad used to listen too and the Brit pop and rock my mum used to feed me.

Maybe someday I'll record or produce stuff like this.... Any musicians that wanna tryout and show what they got ,line up in lines of three. I'm ready for you guys ;)

[YOUTUBE]Nw6wK3JrEAs[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Yeah, this is a brilliant, inspired record... 1980, IIRC. I've always loved it. Tasteful from beginning to end. I love the horn stabs, that curious, delicate female scat riff, and the girls in the background "Aw-right, tonight!"

And how TIGHT is that 1+2+3+4 funk rhythm??? (Reminds me a bit of "Stomp" by The Brothers Jonson, "Get Up And Boogie" by Silver Convention and "Forget-Me-Nots" by Patrice Rushen) Can you find white cats who can maintain an ultra-tight-swing groove like this? I wonder. There are implied triplets in that stomp groove, but they are SO-O-O tight. :thu: I'm not sure this kind of tightness could be cobbled together in Post.

Gotta love, in that video, how he takes his girl for a very humble dinner--- a hotdog at TAIL O' THE PUP--- then he casually drives that girl past an enormous billboard on Sunset Strip.... of himself. Think he'll get lucky that evening?

• Members

Yeah that early 80's R&B sound was happening. Lot's of good stuff from the post disco era.

Rasputin1963, I won't go as far as The Silver Convention with you, but definitely Brothers Johnson and Patrice Rushen are similar. Also MJ's Off the Wall, and Rufus w/Chaka, and a bunch of other stuff that I can't think of right now.

Great choice, Booshy. Music doesn't sound like this anymore. I think we've lost something.

• Members

With a legendary team like Quincy Jones, Rod Temperton and Bruce Swedien, (not to mention the smooth vocal and guitar stylings of Benson) how can you go wrong, really? It's the same quality and sophistication I hear in all the classic Michael Jackson records, and what seems to be largely absent from pop music today. Today, a lot of rap/hip-hop producers will just sample a groove like that (I'd be surpised if there isn't a rap version of this track floating around somewhere), but back then, they actually had to build it from the ground up--without the aid of ProTools. Which makes it even more amazing. Really speaks to the skill and talent of the people involved.

• Members

amazing track for sure, I'm fortunate to have the 12" single on vinyl, sounds great on a big system (I'm going to bring it tomorrow night, spinning downtown...)

You spin dance oldies at a club in NYC? Man, wish I were there...

You're right, like a sportscar and speed, some records don't even "blossom" until they're played goddamned good 'n' loud! :thu:

People talk about a record like "Funkytown" by Lipps, Inc. (another tight funk record from 1980) as being cheezy and naff, but I tell ya what, play it on a huge, loud, fine disco system, and jeez, that record is the epitome of coolness and excitement...:thu::thu::thu:

• Members

You're right, like a sportscar and speed, some records don't even
"blossom"
until they're played goddamned good 'n' loud!
:thu:

Yeah, just got booked to do a monthly "dirty bingo night" at club called Element, tonight's my first night over there. They told me they want all 70s/80s music, I'm very happy with that, and yes, that stuff sounds great on a big system, Brick by Dazz, Jamaica Funk, Encore by Cheryl Lynn + that funky James Brown/Average White Band type of music, happy to get a chance to hear some non sequenced music for four hours, looking forward...

Bruce will be in the house in a mystic sort of way, I'll be sure to play some Brothers Johnson / MJ / George Benson for sure...

• Moderators

I love his guitar work in this. The typically thin, clear tone you would normally hear for a part like this is replaced by his wonderful jazz technique laying down some nice chordal slides. Beautiful. Great kick sound too! Great everything.

• Members

I love his guitar work in this. The typically thin, clear tone you would normally hear for a part like this is replaced by his wonderful jazz technique laying down some nice chordal slides.

Well, I'm sure you know that this track was kinda of a poppy aberration for Benson. He was usually much more on the jazz side of things. What a great player he was, and remains.

• Moderators

Well, I'm sure you know that this track was kinda of a poppy aberration for Benson. He was usually much more on the jazz side of things. What a great player he was, and remains.

Sure. I still love his jazz stuff, of course. I was always amazed at his tasteful restraint during his pop projects.

• Members

Some of my favorite recorded music are tracks from Creed Taylor's label (CTI), Benson did some amazing work on those releases. I'm especially a fan of his work on Freddie Hubbard's First Light LP, great stuff.

He also did a cool house track with Nu Yorican Soul, kind of a broken beat jazzy house track, really incredible stuff. The title of that song is "You Can Do It Baby", it's from the self titled LP Nu Yorican Soul. Highly recommended.

• Members

Some of my favorite recorded music are tracks from Creed Taylor's label (CTI), Benson did some amazing work on those releases. I'm especially a fan of his work on Freddie Hubbard's First Light LP, great stuff.

Dakter, how'd you find those treasures form the distant past? Parents?

I have a box full of those Creed Taylor productions, Benson, Hubbard, some others, great sounding stuff.

FWIW- When GB first broke big I had the good fortune of seeing him at the Bottom lIne in NYC- a very small club. What a pro.

• Members

You're right, like a sportscar and speed, some records don't even
"blossom"
until they're played goddamned good 'n' loud!

People talk about a record like "Funkytown" by Lipps, Inc. (another tight funk record from 1980) as being cheezy and naff, but I tell ya what, play it on a huge, loud, fine disco system, and jeez, that record is the epitome of coolness and excitement...

I love funk, like "Dazz" by Brick - can you even believe what that bass player is doing!?! And the drums are smack simple. One of those lessons of funk, where in order to be funky, not everyone should be trying to play funky - if you know what I mean. Someone's got to "hold down the fort".

I'm not a big disco fan, but "Funkytown" is one of my favs. Has some of the best clean rhythm tone I've heard - and it's not your typical "quack strat". When you listen to some of the best recorded 60's/70's funk around, most of the time it's NOT a strat they're using - usually a tele, les paul deluxe, 335, or some other humbucker based guitar. Heck, in Sly and the Family Stone - didn't the main guitarist play an ES-175?

• Members

One of those lessons of funk, where in order to be funky, not everyone should be trying to play funky - if you know what I mean. Someone's got to "hold down the fort".

I do agree with you that one of the cornerstones of funk is that some of the players need to be stiff as a board to let the power of the funkateers really come through.

Oh yeah, and finally, when I played Give me The Night, someone won a prize, so I faded out midsong and went into another song after they picked up their prize (I think it was Hollywood Swinging by Kool and the Gang). Even though it was only on for one minute, it still sounded great.

I ended the night with Player "Baby Come Back". Great hi hat shuffle on that, love it...

• Members

I ended the night with Player "Baby Come Back". Great hi hat shuffle on that, love it...

You're killing me man. These are the tunes I was playing when I was 19, and they were killing... The compositions, the arrangements, the instrumentation, the vocals, the mixes, the groove, they had it all.

Now sometimes we have a groove or a vocal, or a composition, but the problem is - not all in the same song.

I'm 46, and I feel like the old people who say "music just isn't what it used to be..." :badump:

• Members

Now sometimes we have a groove or a vocal, or a composition, but the problem is - not all in the same song.

Totally agree, and part of the problem is that nowadays, at least one of those elements (groove/vocal/composition) is "computer perfect" and doesn't have the same impact versus when it's coming straight from the humans.

Regarding that Player song, it also has a nice rest in the middle of the song, it's one bar, then they come right back in on the one, good stuff. It's funny, that track is more of a mainstream track with session musicians, pop music so to say, however even for pop music it's pretty damn solid...

Archived