Getting older

Mark L

• Moderators

First of all, you look great for your age.

My feelings on age shift as the years go on. Is there a choice? The scales show youthful vigor and strength on one end and experience at the other. At first, the experience game doesn't ring true. You can't snag the young hottie and you don't really have a clue. Then... you start getting more and more of a clue. And you realize, "Hey! This experience {censored} is no {censored}!" You find yourself making the right decisions more and more often. People even start asking your advice. "Hey, I really like the way your kid is turning out, I've got a question about my boy...". Instead of rockin' the suburbs yourself you find your saggy ass in the Producer's chair, or writing, or teaching. And liking the fact that they respect you and your hard earned knowledge.

Then you realize you're just lying to yourself and you drown your sorrows with another can of Ensure protein and vitamin drink. Live large my friend, 'cause there really is an end.

Edit: Oh, I just turned 49 last week. I like it.

• Moderators

It's when the parts start wearing out that old age becomes truly nasty.

They say that prior to age 40, your problems are primarily psychological: "Why doesn't she like me?"

After age 40, they become increasingly more physiological: "Why won't my leg work?"

Kind of puts things in perspective. :)

Terry D.

P.S. Personally, I think 50 is about where it starts falling apart. Your mileage may vary of course. ;)

• Members

Well, that's already bugging me. In addition to a range of various problems, I've now started getting sporadic pains in ALL of my joints. Knees, thumbs (those REALLY hurt), wrists... and that's before I get to my back issues, including the lovely sciatica pain. :freak:

But other than the horrendous pain, I'm cool with my age. Yup, apart from my teeth, upper and lower back, knees, wrists, thumbs, feet, and several other parts, I'm in tip-top condition.

Well, mentally, I'm well, or as well as can be expected, which is mostly well under most circumstances. In any case, I remember not being very happy as often as I am very happy now, so despite all the other {censored}, I'm doing something right. :)

• Members

Well, it sounds like I am one of the older and more beat up members here. I am well over 50 (it is rapidly fading in the rear view mirror) and have had numerous surgeries (stomach, hernia) and replacements (both hips.) Personally, I am absolutely okay with aging. I review my life and it isn't bad. The next 20-30-40(unlikely) years look okay. There is financial stability (based on early hard work) and I am not going to face (or at least it is unlikely) the catastrophic collapse of the earth's environment. (oddly or not, that is extremely comforting to me.) So I am looking forward to (probably) 15-25 years of travel and enjoying life. My body has held up "well enough" and I am pretty content with what I have learned.

As many have stated, it beats the #($*%&^ out of the alternative!!

• Members

There was an interesting article a few months back that explained that, across all geographies and cultures, there is a common relationship of average happiness to age. (This may have actually been posted here somewhere)

It seems that somewhere in the 40's folks really do have a mid life crisis.

Statistically significant data showed that happiness was at a minimum in the mid-forties and increases again after that.

One explanation offered was that, when you are young, its all exciting and new. In the 40's folks may often be struggling to reconcile their reality with the dream future folks may have had in mind. Eventually people come to accept their situation, the pressure to achieve starts to subside and folks enjoy life with a new, wiser, more relaxed perspective. YMMV.

My dog had his 12th B' Day yesterday. I wonder how it was for him.

• Members

I`ve been feeling that since I turned 30. The knees went, the lower back occasionally... its not pretty and as much as I try, my face is starting to look like my fathers. Not bad but damn its true, you eventually do look like your parents.

I`m with Jeff... in a way, I`m happier as I get older but I think that has to do more with perspective (which you eventually just decide one day its easier to be happy than to be bitter about certain things which is easy to do but does make life more of a strain after a while so why bother?).

If you`ve walked both sides, you know.

The advantage to getting older to me at least is:

More friends

You realize how important it is to have family

You see your kids grow

You come to appreciate the now more rather than obsessing about the past or future

I could go on but I`ll spare you.

• Members

It seems that somewhere in the 40's folks really do have a mid life crisis.

I'm having one now

I'm neither young nor old and it's really confusing and depressing :(

I'd blame it on my kids, but I don't have any...........

• Members

I'm having one now

I'm neither young nor old and it's really confusing and depressing
:(

I'd blame it on my kids, but I don't have any...........

I just went through one and I`m 35... so...

How many books have been written on the subject and still no one can really put a finger on it.

• Members

My cat, known as The Moop, is 17. He's cool.

Our cat was almost 18....we just took him to kitty Auschwitz last week.:cry:

He was stone deaf, lost all his teeth, hips were bothering him and he started pissing everywhere.

Sounds like me in about 20 years....:eek::cry:

• Members

Our cat was almost 18....we just took him to kitty Auschwitz last week.
:cry:

He was stone deaf, lost all his teeth, hips were bothering him and he started pissing everywhere.

Sounds like me in about 20 years....
:eek::cry:

Sounds like Knobs now! :o

Archived