Oh yay pro tools 8.

nerol1st

Well, they listened to me (well, maybe it wasn't me, but they listened to someone ;) ) and added editable MIDI notation / scoring, and I've been begging for that for years, so that alone is enough to catch my attention.

Elastic pitch looks interesting too. Not to mention it looks like they added a bunch of new plug-ins, upped the track counts for LE users, improved the MIDI features across the board, added Vista compatibility for HD users (please tell me XP's still supported...) and improved the comping features.

Looks like a pretty decent update to me. Like I said, I hope XP is still supported, and that it's reliable... but the feature set sure looks promising!

• Members

Well, they listened to me (well, maybe it wasn't me, but they listened to someone
;)
) and added editable MIDI notation / scoring, and I've been begging for that for years, so that alone is enough to catch my attention.

I think their interest in bringing notation into ProTools was one of the main reasons they bought Sibelius.

• Moderators

OK! After looking closer at the comping feature, I'm sold. I do a lot of comping. Being able to see all nested playlists in an expanded view and to have some of the copy paste features automated is pretty slick.

And... using the expanded playlist feature works nicely with loop record. Very cool. Up to this point, Pro Tool's loop recording was such a pain I completely avoided it. Trying to sort through the subsequent takes was a pain in the ass... but now. This is cool.

I think their interest in bringing notation into ProTools was one of the main reasons they bought Sibelius.

I agree my fine furry friend. :)

However, when I was asking about that last year (NAMM?), it was all about the "export to Sibelius" feature... which for me would have been a major kludge. Sure, being able to print out parts for the occasional session is useful, but I was more interested in it as a way to edit MIDI. I absolutely hate having to "look in two different places" on the screen to determine, via sight alone, the note length (via the length of the bars on the current MIDI screen) and the "keyboard" (at the left of the screen) for pitch. With notation (which I've been using since the C-Lab Notator days in the late 80s - heck, even Garageband has it :rolleyes: ), both note duration and pitch info are in the same "spot" and can be viewed simultaneously, while looking at one spot on the screen. No more having to look at the blocks, then look left to find that G# that should have been a G... IOW, I'm glad I won't have to take an extra step to "export" it somewhere in order to do things with notation; especially when editing.

There looks to be a ton of other new stuff that I am probably going to find useful as well, but the notation is certainly going to be a big improvement for me, and something I'll use fairly regularly - at least on any project requiring MIDI.

OK! After looking closer at the comping feature, I'm sold. I do a lot of comping. Being able to see all nested playlists in an expanded view and to have some of the copy paste features automated is pretty slick.

And... using the expanded playlist feature works nicely with loop record. Very cool. Up to this point, Pro Tool's loop recording was such a pain I completely avoided it. Trying to sort through the subsequent takes was a pain in the ass... but now. This is cool.

The similar feature in Cubase (which has been in there for a while now) was probably the reason for Digidesign to add that to PT. It really is useful, and like you, I rarely ever used the "loop recording" feature in previous versions of PT simply because it was such a kludge. This should make comping from various playlists (which I tend to do a lot of) easier and more time efficient too.

I definitly dig more than 5 inserts.

I don't need it all that often, but occasionally I do... and being able to do it on one track, without having to resort to using a buss to route it to a aux return so I can add more than five inserts will be handy for the occasional cases where that's required.

However, I have to say that I'm glad Digidesign addressed some of the other things first; to me, they're more of an urgent priority than 64 bit is. The main advantage to 64 bit is the ability to use more RAM, and for me, more RAM is primarily beneficial in terms of running more simultaneous virtual instruments - especially sample based VI's that load lots of sample data into RAM.

I can get around that by just "printing" the VI's output to audio and then disabling the plug-in and then moving on to the next VI part. While it would be nice to be able to have seven or eight (or whatever) VI's active at once, it's not a deal breaker for me, and not nearly as important as being able to work with MIDI notation, or having better workflow when comping tracks, etc.

I imagine if I was scoring films and TV shows, I might feel a bit differently about 64 bit and more RAM, but as long as everything else works at least as well as it currently does in PTHD 7.4 cs7, I'll manage to get by for a while longer without it.

ANYTHING to avoid Vista for as long as possible. ;):D

Archived