Myspace vs Facebook

• Members

These two social networking entities will eventually merge through buyout/whatever.

I use Myspace for personal expression, shameless self-promotion, but Facebook is better for family. So, I started using it regularly a couple months ago. So, I've been using both for a bit and recent changes on both sites appear to be adopting traits of the other.

Exhibit A- Facebook was easier to manage for the average non-technical person and now they have made new changes that make it more confusing and difficult to use. Most of which are trying to mimic some of Myspace's paradigm. Best example is trying to send my sister a Youtube clip in a message...well, this involved a whole lot of clicking and activating "apps" and basically jumping through 12-14 steps just to ad this vid to a message.

Tell, me they weren't going for that, lets' make this as hard to use as possible thing that Myspace forced on the world as a "standard". :)

(Don't get me wrong, I love Myspace. It is a awesome vehicle of personal expression. Social networking is just a bonus. Facebook is more social networking. Myspace allows me to create a work of art. I think Myspace and blogs should get credit and kudos for making a single page the standard.

It really makes more sense in web design to have a main single page with constant flow of information, than a website with 347 pages and a site map in greek, translated by techs at the Roland factory.

Exhibit B- Myspace keeps making changes that make it more stalker-friendly, ala Facebook. The new home skin is even mimicking the "news feed" in Facebook.

As if Myspace wasn't stalker friendly enough...:)

So, I think what I'm witnessing here is a shift by both to ease the transition that would obviously annoy the users of each in the event of a merger.

Just a theory, though. :wave:

What's interesting is that all these "apps" you are seeing on both sites (big trend on both sites), is the use of "points"...i.e. you are "buying" stuff and features with these points. And you can buy more points, of course.

• Members

I use both as well. MySpace fro FrugalGuitarist and FaceBook for closer friends and family. However, I think the single page concept is a complete cluster f*** which typically results in a sensory overload experience for anyone with anything but the bare minimum on their page. I prefer navagational content so I can view want I want and am an subject to the rest.

OT - With the advances in computer tech and flat sceen/ electronic ink technologies I think we'll be seeing more and more emphasis on layout and design mimmicing current magazine layouts as we prepare for the next generation of mobile computers no larger than, and just as flexable/poratable as, a typical newspaper or magazine.

• Members

I read in some business journal that FACEBOOK enjoyed a more mature, adult demographic... while MYSPACE was where you turned if you wanted to target the kiddos.

I have a FACEBOOK page meself, and it makes me feel ever-so-hip, and with-it. :thu::cool:

But I can't for the life of me imagine what it is I'm supposed to do with it, or what good it's supposed to bring me. :idk:

• Members

Will it surprise anyone if I say I have been on both for some time (MySpace since early 2004) and find both infantile and tiresome?

(Now, Friendster -- where my account goes way back to the summer of ought three, by cracky -- I kinda had a soft spot for because my only three friends were an up and coming young mixer, one of the coolest DJs in LA, and the keyboardist of a trendy neo-prog band. It was quality friends, there. That said, they had such infrastructure problems that it's surprising they're still in biz. I have to remember to log in there again, someday. Just for old times sake. Before they go to join IUMA, AmpCast.com and the old Mp3.com in that great cyber-junkyard in the sky.)

• Members

Great unless you're not entirely crazy about 96 kbps audio.
;)

Of pages that load as though you've jumped on a time machine back to 1994...

Well that's mostly thanks to people who put the most obnoxious amount of bandwidth-hogging {censored} on their pages.

Simple is beautiful.

• Members

I like both for different reasons. MySpace is great for checking out new music, where Facebook is more pleasant for interacting with people. They're two different approaches, in my opinion.

That's been my experience as well.

I never saw the "old" Facebook, but I like the News Feed of the current one - I can see what's going on with all my friends/family at a glance.

• Members

I just don't get the attraction with these social networking sites.

Myspace has to be one of the worst sites ever IMHO.

Garish, crass, etc etc ....

And I hate the way 99% of users have a lo-fi song

on autoplay which comes blaring in automatically

as the page loads, causing me to dive for the volume

control.

If I want to hear music I'll activate it myself.

Facebook I simply don't get at all......

• Members

I've gotten in touch with some friends that I haven't seen in a long time through Facebook. I think it's got a good clean layout and is easy to communicate through, so yeah, I get it. It's fun, and a great way to share photos and what's going on.

I like MySpace for photos, but can't stand how buggy it is, and how slow pages are to load (assuming that they do load). MySpace is also the only site that makes Firefox or Explorer crash. It's done it 2-3 times on my relatively new computer, and no other site has done that.

• Members

"... of course, if you really wanted to keep in touch with these people, you wouldn`t need Facebook....."

That's my point.

It seems to be for friends you already have

rather than meeting new people.

A large proportion of the Friends from my younger

years aren't even net connected, let alone on Facebook.

A for school reunions... it's taken me 40 years to forget

those 12 years of horror ... I don't need to go there....;)

• Members

On myspace, I just add everybody that sends me a request. If you aren't spam, you get the add. No need to thank me for the add with a comment pic that advertises dildos with a picture of your Mom in glitter-scope-strobe effect. I will enjoy your association, no matter how bizarre you are. As long as you're a real person and not a bot, or at least a bot with a good simulation, you get the add.

I even added Satan. But, I sent him the request...I'm sure he didn't mind. I sold my soul on myspace. At least I didn't join a mafia or some mob wars application.

Click here and rate your friends! Meet and chat with the hottest people on the internet! :mad:

Archived