Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Any way, the thing I would like everyone to share is what do they use to make the conversions."

sample rate and bit depth conversion and conversion from any format to any format is done here with with:

- ProCoder3, converts any format to any format
    - Grass Valley imports all formats and export to any format
    - Adobe Media Encoder
    - WaveLab Crystal Resampler
    - Waveart Final Plug

Comment

Why?

At export, the proper trancode setting are dialed according to the specs of the final product, e.g. CDA red book standard, Blu-ray: Dolby Digital (AC-3), DTS, linear PCM. Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD High Resolution, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

Video editing requires a sample rate of 48 kHz.

For DVD-VIDEO, the audio files are converted to the proper audio file type accepted as asset in the authoring:
      - DTS mono, stereo or up to 7.1 datareduced (compressed)
      - MPEG-1 Audio Layer 2, stereo or mono datareduced.
      - MPEG-2 Multichannel bis 7.1 datareduced.
      - Dolby Digital AC-3 (up to 5.1, datareduced).
      - PCM 48 kHz, mono, stereo or up to 7.1 uncompressed.

So how and when do you make your sample rate and bit depth conversions?

When it is necessary for the next work step.

Comment

So anyone using higher sampler rates should be even more careful on how they get down to 44.1. I am wrong?

SRC and bit depth reduction is done by software. There isn't much you can do wrong.

Comment

I resample rather than convert. I
          "Everybody loves you when you're six foot in the ground."
          ~John Lennon

Comment

So how do you go from 24 to 16?

I guess I'll use Audition... since I have it, and it is what Craig uses... If Craig and VSL use it... then it is good for me too.

Honestly, no special way. I use Pro Tools and sometimes I use POW-R dither and sometimes I don't. I honestly don't care. I can't hear the freakin' difference, and I have ADAM monitors and good ears.

If I'm in a hurry, I'll take a 24-bit mix and let iTunes or Roxio Toast Titanium and let those programs drop 8 bits. This is NOT for a final CD or anything important, of course.
            Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

SRC and bit depth reduction is done by software. There isn't much you can do wrong.

Well, you could choose the wrong dither algorithm, though most people can't hear the difference on most material. But there are lots of things that the software writers could do wrong. But of course nobody makes those mistakes any more, except for those who have never done it before.

Best to use a standard algorithm from a well established vendor.
              --
              "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
              Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

If I'm going to downconvert to 44.1k I usually record at 88.2k. The end result sounds much better to me than 96k to 44.1k.

If I'm doing a DVD project that will end up at 48k I may record at 96k.
                Support Live Music!

Comment

Working...
                X