So how long would you last without Electric power or fuel?

roomjello

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We'd probably survive the winter. All of our hot water and heating comes from the back boiler behind our open fire. I do a few days chopping wood and cutting turf over the summer for a guy and that takes care of most of our winter fuel. We could still heat the house without the odd top up of coal I guess.

Food wise, I dunno. This is Ireland. I honestly can't see the food supply ever being a problem here. We're currently producing 150% of our food needs (surplus is exported) and if the scenario envisaged in the OP were ever to arise, it would just mean that more of us would be working in the fields :idk:

• Members

I think the scenario is that you don't have any access to food that you don't have (correct me if I'm wrong, roomjello).

No he had it right, if there is easy access to it's source and you can trade or work for it you are good. But shipping would stop, shipping to your local market for example if the food was not grown in your vicinity.

• Members

I can go pretty far on my bike. Of course, when the supply of tires and vital parts run out....

If I could load up with water/canned/freezedried provisions, we could live a long time if, as Knobs said, some other desperate or suspicious human doesn't blow our brains out. You won't freeze around here, and you just have to sit in the shade when it's hot.

If I could play my acoustic piano and guitar and read my made-from-trees books, and write on notepads or something, and have someone to talk to, I could stay reasonably entertained, too. I better stock up on strings thinking about this.

Going without a couple of my prescriptions would be a real bitch but probably not fatal...

Lack of water would probably do us in first.

Time to rewatch or reread The Road, huh?

nat whilk ii

• Members

no transportation but your feet/horse

I don't have a horse, but thinking that feet/horse are the only transport is tunnel vision

I live on the puget sound (have access to both fresh and marine ) and have kayaks and have experience freediving (that means gathering!)

long story short...a pretty long time provided the collapse doesn't have people victimizing me

• Members

:cry:

I don't have a horse, but thinking that feet/horse are the only transport is tunnel vision

I live on the puget sound (have access to both fresh and marine ) and have kayaks and have experience freediving (that means gathering!)

long story short...a pretty long time provided the collapse doesn't have people victimizing me

You've got that tasty bull kelp that grows so fast, accessible via kayak...mild winters, and lots of democrats so maybe not as gun-crazy as down here in Gov Perry-land....you just might make a go of it!

Don't think I could get from Austin to Bainbridge on my bike, 'tho...:cry:

nat whilk ii

• Members

There is plenty of deer, wild turkey, rabbits, ducks, geese and other game in my area, the river and ponds are full of fish...

I also have home canned vegetables and fruit, about a months worth if I had to use them up everyday.

I used to hunt fish and trap 'til about 5 years ago...I don't hunt anymore, I hardly fish either, but I have a bow, hunting rifles and handguns I know who to dress a gamebird, skin and gut a deer or rabbit and clean and scale a fish....I still spend time at the firing range so I can still hit something if I have to.

There is acres of deadfall wood that can be chained sawed or hand sawn around me.

We have a fireplace in the living room and den, and a wood stove in the sunroom.

Plenty of camping equipment and about 48 MRE's...

It's not something I would ever ever WANT to do, I'm no Euell Gibbons... but I guess If push came to shove, I would have to, to survive...and that's all it would be...surviving one day to the next.

I just hope that RJ's rhetorical Armegeddon/Apocalyspe doesn't come 'til Football season is over. ;)

• Moderators

Although I understand and can survive in the woods / mountains best (fewer people there, a bonus) if I had to start from where I am I think I'd backpack to the coast as the ocean's bounty is plentiful and we're fairly skilled at fishing and netting. I'd steer clear of heavily populated areas as I'd expect turmoil and violence there given that those dense areas can't survive without supermarkets and refrigeration.

The missus and I backpack often, and of late have started making a priority of living off the land at least partially. She's a national lecturer on poisonous and medicinal plants (has her doctorate in pharmacy) so I think we'd be fine barring accident or foul play. We're both proficient with firearms but the problem with that is that the bad guys shoot first while the good guys hesitate. We'd probably try to avoid other people as much as possible.

Neither of us have medical conditions that require daily meds, thankfully, or we'd be screwed.

Terry D.

• Members

I've got a whole pantry full of canned and paper goods, I could go a couple of months on that, but I depend on electricity a lot. This year I'm planning on NOT using my oil furnace and using just electric space heaters and an electric blanket in a couple of rooms only. I tried this last year and it worked out really good and didn't raise my electric bill by much. Don't forget to stock up on TP and water. If the electricity goes out I've got oil space heaters that can heat my whole house.

• Members

In a Postman or Mad Max Scenario I would do fine. It would be an adjustment and I wouldn't be happy about it, coming from the modern convenience world we live in but I could survive. Lots of outdoors training, boys scouts, Army, hiking, camping, Alaska, Etc...However, it's a tough life and most of your waking moments would consist of activities based around survival. I believe most people are unprepared and we would lose 1/2 the population due to that and lack of medicine. Yea, it would basically be the end of the world as we know it. It would suck.

• Members

thats a good point about the meds, and I think someone else already mentioned it....I would be totally {censored}ed without my gout medicine..

.I used to get screamer gout attacks about 15 yrs ago...a heredity condition...I was out of commision for at least a week out of the month in excruciating pain...I had to give of running, sports, and gimp around the house during down time...

My Doctor told me I had to start taking meds for it when it turned to Gouty Arthritis and my left index finger started to deform...had to stop playing the guitar, couldn't get my wallet out of my back pocket etc.

Man, I finally gave in and started taking Alupurinol and the attacks just dead on stopped....Only prob is that if you stop taking the meds the Gout will come back with an attack the likes of Pearl Harbor.

My finger had such a buildup of uric acid they tought that sugery was the only way to correct it...in six weeks after taking the meds my finger was back to normal.

So, yeah...I get a three month supply from the Doctor...so anything after those 3 months like I said, I'm {censored}ed.:cry:

• Members

4 minutes.

Beat me to it. I was on my way to post 12 minutes. Not that I necessarily think I'm hardier than the much younger (not to mention better looking) Weasel.

BTW... who all here cooks their grubs and worms before eating them?

And... I presume bark is a good source of roughage.

Archived