So how long would you last without Electric power or fuel?

roomjello

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Beat me to it. I was on my way to post
12 minutes
. Not that I necessarily think I'm hardier than the much younger (not to mention better looking) Weasel.

BTW... who all here cooks their grubs and worms before eating them?

And... I presume bark is a good source of roughage.

question 1: not me...I like ' em raw and gelantinous

question 2. bark is a good source of roughage fo' sho',... but pine cones are easier to come by and provide a bit more nutrients.

You LIE, Blue...:lol: I know you have age, experience, and 'street smarts', not to mention 'Mojo' working for you...

On a bet, I'm placing a higher 'shelf life' for you, past your projected 12 minutes....

Don't disappoint me when the proverbial {censored} hits the fan that is no longer working due to a power outage.

Send me a message in a bottle to know you survived .;)

• Members

anyone with any type of Military experience has already countered these tactics...this is why it is posted on youtube....

Small, tightly organized, local Defense orgs/militia with former/active Military personnel will always prevail.

Anyone that falls for this type of hype deserves everything this hypothetical video projects....including severed fingers AND a possible 'decapitation' of the Dick that wrote/produced it....just sayin'.... hypothetically ;)

• Members

I've got a whole pantry full of canned and paper goods, I could go a couple of months on that, but I depend on electricity a lot. This year I'm planning on NOT using my oil furnace and using just electric space heaters and an electric blanket in a couple of rooms only. I tried this last year and it worked out really good and didn't raise my electric bill by much. Don't forget to stock up on TP and water. If the electricity goes out I've got oil space heaters that can heat my whole house.

fwiw, some areas charge hydro at a basic rate to a ceiling/threshold, then it jumps huge, watch out for that.

• Members

fwiw, some areas charge hydro at a basic rate to a ceiling/threshold, then it jumps huge, watch out for that.

I went about three months without using my oil furnace last winter...it was no problem at all and the electric bill only went up $20 bucks or so. So I saved a lot of cash doing it that way.

• Members

I went about three months without using my oil furnace last winter...it was no problem at all and the electric bill only went up $20 bucks or so. So I saved a lot of cash doing it that way.

Awesome. Be sure to keep track of if they read your meter monthly or do averages over more months, that can mess up your assumptions of costs.

And again if you go solely electric you may go over the threshold by say 10 KW then your rate for the whole lot is doubled for example, depends on the utility co.

• Members

Awesome. Be sure to keep track of if they read your meter monthly or do averages over more months, that can mess up your assumptions of costs.

And again if you go solely electric you may go over the threshold by say 10 KW then your rate for the whole lot is doubled for example, depends on the utility co.

Like I said my monthly bill only went up about $20 bucks, and my oil usage was zip. During a normal winter I used to spend about $1,000 bucks on oil. Not anymore. With heating oil about $4.00 bucks a gallon, I had to find an alternative heating method. So I closed off part of my house and only heat one room, my computer/studio room, and just use an electric blanket in the bedroom. I was more than comfortable for the three months I tried it last winter, and I saved a bundle on oil bills. I have a couple of skylights that heat up the rest of my house on sunny days. I have heat tape on my waterlines so they never froze.

The space heater I used last year was a Holmes heater which looks and acts like a minature furnace. It kept my studio room nice and toasty. That's where I spend the majority of my time when I'm at home. I bought a couple of other space heaters since then. I've got an oil filled radiator type heater and a quartz tube type heater that I'm going to experiment with this winter.

• Members

Like I said my monthly bill only went up about $20 bucks, and my oil usage was zip. During a normal winter I used to spend about $1,000 bucks on oil. Not anymore. With heating oil about $4.00 bucks a gallon, I had to find an alternative heating method. So I closed off part of my house and only heat one room, my computer/studio room, and just use an electric blanket in the bedroom. I was more than comfortable for the three months I tried it last winter, and I saved a bundle on oil bills. I have a couple of skylights that heat up the rest of my house on sunny days. I have heat tape on my waterlines so they never froze.

The space heater I used last year was a Holmes heater which looks and acts like a minature furnace. It kept my studio room nice and toasty. That's where I spend the majority of my time when I'm at home. I bought a couple of other space heaters since then. I've got an oil filled radiator type heater and a quartz tube type heater that I'm going to experiment with this winter.

Right on, that is damn reasonable.

• Members

It'll be tough with my family. For heating, I do have a fire place and several cords of dried wood split in the garage. Though within city limits, it's still a rural place and I've my own well. So for water it would be pretty good (shortly, I'm installing a manual hand crank pump in-line with the powered one on a switchable t-valve. So water won't be an issue). I've a small garden but food will still be a problem. I dislike guns, but I was pretty good at archery at one point, perhaps it's time to invest in a bow and some hunting arrows, there's plenty of deer about where I live.

I think things would radically change, and I don't trust human nature to be kind. It does make me consider getting a hunting rifle or shotgun to have just in case.

• Members

How do you store your extra fuel?

Additives?

Yes exactly... I use Sta-Bil additive and rotation to always have surplus fuel on hand. About 80 gallons extra, which is not a lot, but I keep my car fuel tanks full as well. I have extra gasoline and also kerosene in a locked shed. :)

• Members

All you survivalists are forgetting the part where you're competing against thousands (well, millions) of people with the same ideas. Just by way of example, if New England suddenly had to get through the winter with only wood as a heat source, the entire northeast would be denuded of trees by the second winter.

You can see the math here and also a breakdown by state.

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/5132

Similarly, take a look at US population density and compare it to something like deer density... not a lot to go around.

yearsofheatdata2.JPG

• Moderators

All you survivalists are forgetting the part where you're competing against thousands (well, millions) of people with the same ideas.

We're counting on that.

Probably in a serious emergency like that most Americans would be dead in a month or two. Certainly by the end of the first winter. Disease, starvation, lack of clean water, exposure to the elements, rioting, violence, lack of needed medications, etc.

Not enough time to cut down all that many trees. Probably 1 in 1,000 Americans has the ability to cut a tree down, let alone without gasoline and electricity.

The elderly and the chronically ill would die first. Nearly 10% of Americans have diabetes and wouldn't be able to get insulin. More than a million Americans are HIV positive. 31% of males in this country have hypertension, they'd not have access to medication. 350,000 Americans require regular dialysis to survive.

These folks might die first, but they'd have a lot of company shortly. For reasons various and sundry, most of us couldn't survive if civiliation collapsed.

Terry D.

• Members

15 years ago I changed to geotermal energy for heating and hot water. The pipe is only going 300 meter into the ground. The average temperatur in Europe raises 1 degree per about 30 meter. Where my house is, the brine comes back at 72 degree from 300 meter. Further we have new windows, and the roof was isolated to the latest standard.

• Members

When was that, that the eastern power grid went down from NYC to Canada.....2005?

It hit us up here in Canada near Detroit for 3 days. My factory shut down. There was no gas because the pumps need electricity. Banks were down. It was summer but not too hot as i remember. I barbequed everything in my freezer. I listened to the radio with batteries. I survived 3 days...that was long enough.

Dan

• Members

Tip: Be careful where you live, or more precisely whom you live with... what is your community... the demographics can predict post-catastrophe behavior.

Big time!

Gun-wise.......I thought about buying the Mini-30 or even the Mini-14 Ranch Rifle or Target Rifle with optics.

However, I'm leaning heavily towards the Stag Arms Model 1 which is an AR-15 type. I would accessorize it ....optics, flashlight etc and upgrade parts as I go. I just really want to have some fun with an AR.

Besides, I have a few handguns and no rifle. I sold my SKS years ago 'cos I did not like that they were prone to slamfire and I hate stripper clips. What can you expect from an $85 rifle anyway. Damn they were cheap.......and nasty.

• Members

I live in the middle of a bunch of folks who make a living growing food for the rest of ya'all. I am on 45 acres full of game, load my own, am a former Marine and have woods skills. I also have 4 horses and a big garden and access to all the impliments that I would need to maintain fuel and water. I also have the Foxfire Series that would teach me the things that most of us have forgotten.

The biggest problem would be the starving folks from the cities.

• Moderators

We live in an apartment in the middle of a major urban center. So assuming not only the grocery store is shut down but also the local farmers market, I guess we'd have what's in our fridge and pantry, three days worth of rations from our earthquake kits, and a smal propane grill. I guess we could maybe make it a week and a half.

:idk:

Americans love our acocolyptic survival scenarios, don't we? :lol:

Archived