So M-Audio has no support at all...

• Members

... unless you pay???

Apparently you can't even email them with a question. Am I missing something? I have an Axiom 61 Gen2 that intermittently stops sending MIDI and all I see is "knowledge base" drivel and paid support. If this is how it is it's the last M-Audio product I'll ever buy. Can somebody verify this?

• Members

... unless you pay???

Apparently you can't even email them with a question. Am I missing something? I have an Axiom 61 Gen2 that intermittently stops sending MIDI and all I see is "knowledge base" drivel and paid support. If this is how it is it's the last M-Audio product I'll ever buy. Can somebody verify this?

I had a similar issue with them years ago... called Tech Support, no one picked up. Finally reached a human and they told me something like they were low on Tech Support... I got rid of their gear ASAP... never went back.

[EDIT: If you ever purchased anything from Sweetwater, you can call them, they`ll walk you through your issue]

• CMS Author

Well, I'll tell you that I went on the Avid Pro Tools users forum this morning asking for someone to give me a push start in understanding how Pro Tools sees audio interfaces. I'm accustomed to programs like Reaper, Sonar, Studio One, even Sound Forge, when you connect an interface that isn't the same one you used the last time, may complain that it's different, but when you tell it to use the new interface, it figures out how many inputs and outputs it has, based, I guess, on information in the driver. It usually gets names, too, so when you assign an input or output to a track, AudioBox or Onyx or ALVA is in the list so you know the program is looking at the right interface.

I suppose Pro Tools users know that their program doesn't do that automatically. When I switched from a Mackie Onyx mixer (16 input and output streams) to the ALVA Nanoface which has only six of each, I expected the list of available inputs and outputs would change, but no, the choices were still all Mackie even after I selected the ALVA.

Anyway,I described my problem pretty clearly, did the usual groveling, admitting that I was a total beginner with Pro Tools but that I knew what I wanted to do, and asked how to get it to recognize that there was a new interface. I also asked if there was a recommended tutorial or if this was in the manual (500 pages of PDF and I didn't really know what words to searchfor) I got some pretty prompt answers like:

So I guess support there is about as good or bad as it is anywhere. If the right person sees your question and takes the time to compose a detailed answer, that's good. If what you're asking is old hat, then you'll get a terse answer that takes some digging in order to get to where you need to be.

• Members

So I guess support there is about as good or bad as it is anywhere. If the right person sees your question and takes the time to compose a detailed answer, that's good. If what you're asking is old hat, then you'll get a terse answer that takes some digging in order to get to where you need to be.

Thanks for you reply but I can't quite agree with this. Sibelius, another AVID company, has a forum with a highly knowledgeable expert to answer questions and they are answered quickly. I can contact Cakewalk, Yamaha, Roland, Native Instruments, Gibson, Fender, IK Multimedia, Steven Slate, XLN Audio, FXpansion etc... without paying for the privilege.

Also my issue is not a use problem its a problem of faulty functioning - it stops sending MIDI requiring me to cycle the power. Apparently even if it is a hardware failure requiring parts replacement I have to pay them just to find out. I will try the forum but I will never purchase an M-Audio product again.

I will never buy again anything made by vintagevibes, ever. :lol:

YES, when M-Audio was "a part of Avid" you had to pay for tech support. Stupid nonsense decision, but it was their call. That is over.

M-AUDIO was sold to inMusic back on July 2nd. All the support and service operations were transferred to inMusic, too.

http://www.inmusicbrands.com/FINALAIR_and_M-Audio_Acquisition.pdf

I am in charge of M-Audio and all the inMusic brands for Latin America, but I don't know who the support guy in the US is right now for M-Audio stuff.

However, you can e-mail to:

inMusic Contact:

David Frederick

dfrederick @ numark.com

* he is mentioned at the press release.

If you don't get an answer within 48 hours from David (don't blame him, he may not be the right person to contact) then e-mail me and I could find it out for you: glozada @ numark.com

Is that better?

Well, I'll tell you that I went on the Avid Pro Tools users forum this morning asking for someone to give me a push start in understanding how Pro Tools sees audio interfaces. I'm accustomed to programs like Reaper, Sonar, Studio One, even Sound Forge, when you connect an interface that isn't the same one you used the last time, may complain that it's different, but when you tell it to use the new interface, it figures out how many inputs and outputs it has, based, I guess, on information in the driver. It usually gets names, too, so when you assign an input or output to a track, AudioBox or Onyx or ALVA is in the list so you know the program is looking at the right interface.

I suppose Pro Tools users know that their program doesn't do that automatically. When I switched from a Mackie Onyx mixer (16 input and output streams) to the ALVA Nanoface which has only six of each, I expected the list of available inputs and outputs would change, but no, the choices were still all Mackie even after I selected the ALVA.

Anyway,I described my problem pretty clearly, did the usual groveling, admitting that I was a total beginner with Pro Tools but that I knew what I wanted to do, and asked how to get it to recognize that there was a new interface. I also asked if there was a recommended tutorial or if this was in the manual (500 pages of PDF and I didn't really know what words to searchfor) I got some pretty prompt answers like:

• Don't mean to dog you but that's been discussed in this forum many times

• There are plenty of tutorials on You Tube

• A short answer that sent me in the right direction

• A good explanation of how to get to what I needed to change and how to change it, plus a page number in the manual - thanks, Bob Ohlsson

I blame you for asking elsewhere other than here, for such a simple thing:

Pro Tools Main Menu SETUP > I/O... > INPUT Tab, press "default > OUTPUT Tab, press "default" > OK

* I read later that Bob Ohlsson gave you the right answer, bummer.

• CMS Author

I blame you for asking elsewhere other than here, for such a simple thing:

Pro Tools Main Menu SETUP > I/O... > INPUT Tab, press "default > OUTPUT Tab, press "default" > OK

* I read later that Bob Ohlsson gave you the right answer, bummer.

Intuition told me that clicking "Default" would be the right thing to do. What Bob did in his reply was complete the answer by telling me to delete everything that was there before clicking "Default." That way I got what I was looking for rather than what I was looking for added to what was there. At my level of understanding of how this particular program works, I was hesitant to delete anything because I didn't know if I would have to get it back or not. Bob saw what I didn't understand and explained how to make it do what I was expecting. Once I saw that, I was able to understand the process, or at least most of it.

Similar programs with which I'm familiar don't require removing the previous I/O routing setup when switching to a different interface.

Here's an easier question for you. Is there a "one button Record" option? I know QuickPunch which works like a traditional tape deck, but you still must click Play and Record (or Play and Arm) in order to start recording. Other DAWs can take this one step further and start "rolling tape" when you click the Record button. On a tape deck, the the two buttons you need to press (Play and Record) are adjacent so you can use two fingers and press then essentially simultaneously if that's what you want to do. But until they make a 2-pronged mouse, it takes at least two clicks to start a recording in Pro Tools.

I'm not at the point of giving Avid suggestions about how to improve Pro Tools yet and I don't expect to be. I'm just wondering if it already does that and they have a name for it that I don't know to search for in the manual.

[stage whisper to Lee] Reaper. multi-touch display

• Members

Also my issue is not a
use
problem its a problem of
faulty functioning
- it stops sending MIDI requiring me to cycle the power.

This doesn't concern support per se, but I had that problem with Sonar (multiple releases) and a MOTU Micro Lite midi interface. Following a reboot, it was a crap shoot whether or not the MOTU would should up in my MIDI devices list. I'd have to unplug the USB cable, plug it back in, cycle Sonar and hope it showed up. If not, wash, rinse and repeat. MOTU replaced it under warranty, same issue. Eventually replaced the PC, same issue.

It finally died and I replaced it with an M-Audio unit, as I was tired of that behavior. so far no issues. But I really wish I could power off the USB ports when the PC is shutdown, just in case.

So, are Tim and the guys still in Irwindale? Or is the operation not there any more in any form?

Tim (Ryan) sold M-Audio to Avid back in 2004 and I have no idea where he can be since then.

We moved into the Irwindale building in 2005 and that office was shut off last December.

All M-Audio things are being held by inMusic's staff at their different locations.

• Members

I will never buy again anything made by vintagevibes, ever.
:lol:

YES, when M-Audio was "a part of Avid" you had to pay for tech support. Stupid nonsense decision, but it was their call. That is
over.

M-AUDIO was sold to inMusic back on July 2nd. All the support and service operations were transferred to inMusic, too.

http://www.inmusicbrands.com/FINALAIR_and_M-Audio_Acquisition.pdf

I am in charge of M-Audio and all the inMusic brands for Latin America, but I don't know who the support guy in the US is right now for M-Audio stuff.

However, you can e-mail to:

inMusic Contact:

David Frederick

dfrederick @ numark.com

* he is mentioned at the press release.

If you don't get an answer within 48 hours from David
(don't blame him, he may not be the right person to contact)
then e-mail me and I could find it out for you: glozada @ numark.com

Is that better?

Thanks Gus. I'll give that a try. I certainly hope inMusic has a different policy.

p.s. If I was selling something there would be a way to contact me.;)

• Members

Here's an easier question for you. Is there a "one button Record" option? I know QuickPunch which works like a traditional tape deck, but you still must click Play and Record (or Play and Arm) in order to start recording. Other DAWs can take this one step further and start "rolling tape" when you click the Record button. On a tape deck, the the two buttons you need to press (Play and Record) are adjacent so you can use two fingers and press then essentially simultaneously if that's what you want to do. But until they make a 2-pronged mouse, it takes at least two clicks to start a recording in Pro Tools.

F12 or numeral pad 3 to start a recording pass. Command Period will stop the recording pass and abandon that audio for a useless take.

Seems hard on M-audio to continue this discussion here! I'm watching your other thread about ProTools.

• Members

Control + Spacebar (this is not the same as "Quickpunch," which is a three key press) to start recording works like hitting record+play on a tape deck, so it feels natural. It's more ergonomic on Mac than Windows, though, because the keys are adjacent to each other on the keyboard.

• CMS Author

Let's put these Pro Tools tips over in my Baby's First Pro Tools thread. I've replied to a couple of them over there. I only mentioned my own questions as an example of the level of support I got from other users on their forum. Any other tips you can offer are welcome, but let's leave this thread for complaining about M-Audio support and ways that it's getting better (or when).

Archived