Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE DRUMMERS GIG REPORT THREAD...........

Collapse



X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I played a fill-in gig with my old classic rock band on Friday night. It was at a country club. While we were setting up many people came up and told us that the first set would have to be quiet since there were still people having dinner. No problem, we did a quick re-arrangement to our set list to put the most low key stuff up front.



    I played the first set using my hot rods and barely using my bass drum. Second set, I decided to notch it up a bit and pulled out my 7A's. The guitarist said that it was still too loud and I went back to my rods. About halfway through I got my 7A's out again and used them for the rest of the gig. Everyone else had turned up a little by then. It was a good gig with some nice eye candy on the dance floor.
    Here's a tip - if you put out some horrible lo-fi recording that sounds like a Gorilla banging an antelope while using a vacuum with a bad belt drive to suck up a floor full of marbles and silverware - and folks don't line up in mass numbers to hop on your wagon... maybe it ain't us who don't "get it". - THX1138

    Comment


    • Good weekend for gigs! Got out with my cover band Friday night with my good friend filling in on guitar and had a blast. I switched from 5Bs down to JXs (a Silverfox model that's between a 5A and a 5B, yet a little longer) to work in some finesse, and used a 20" HHX Evolution ride instead of my standard 21" AAX Stage ride.



      I liked the change in stick size (it kept me lighter), but the HHX Evolution doesn't work for the hard rock cover band. Too much wash and not enough definition -- LOVE the cymbal though.



      The highlight for me, besides everyone dancing and having a great time, was my best friend was there and sat in for two songs -- I love watching that guy drum!
      Music, music, I hear music
      Fitch Drums - The Blog for the Aspiring Non-Professional Drummer

      Comment


      • thats sweet fitch...............Im running into the same thing with our new group..not liking the sound/projection/definition I am getting with my Zild Avedis. Thinking of finding something heavier. What are you using for you heavier stuff???






        Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY
        View Post

        Good weekend for gigs! Got out with my cover band Friday night with my good friend filling in on guitar and had a blast. I switched from 5Bs down to JXs (a Silverfox model that's between a 5A and a 5B, yet a little longer) to work in some finesse, and used a 20" HHX Evolution ride instead of my standard 21" AAX Stage ride.



        I liked the change in stick size (it kept me lighter), but the HHX Evolution doesn't work for the hard rock cover band. Too much wash and not enough definition -- LOVE the cymbal though.



        The highlight for me, besides everyone dancing and having a great time, was my best friend was there and sat in for two songs -- I love watching that guy drum!




        Jack of all trades....Master of none...

        Comment


        • just about spit all over my keyboard...............thanks Grem. Free food....Im all about the food, but when its free it taste's better!.






          Quote Originally Posted by Gremson
          View Post

          Don't tell me how to live my life!!!




          Jack of all trades....Master of none...

          Comment


          • You are blessed with gigs abundance my friend..........but it sounds like you need to get some xtra zzz's. What kind of gigs are these?? all 4 hour sets?






            Quote Originally Posted by the DW
            View Post

            Let's see:

            Wednesday night, slept at 3:30 am, got up at 70 am.

            Thursday night, slept at 20 am, got up at 6:30 am.

            Friday night, slept at 30 am, got up at 7:30 am.

            Last night, slept at 40 am, got up at 8:30 am.



            I AM TIRED. Not gonna do ANYTHING today. I'm one of those that needs 8 hours every day, and these late night gigs have been preventing that.



            zzzzzzzzzzzz.......




            Jack of all trades....Master of none...

            Comment








            • Quote Originally Posted by race81
              View Post

              You are blessed with gigs abundance my friend..........but it sounds like you need to get some xtra zzz's. What kind of gigs are these?? all 4 hour sets?




              Wednesday and Saturday were 4 hour gigs, Thursday and Friday were 3 hour gigs. It's just that I have a real hard time sleeping during the day. Finally got enough rest yesterday - took several short naps, then slept 10 hours last night. I feel MUCH better today!


              Good playing can hide a crappy drumset, but even the best drumset can't hide crappy playing.

              Have no fear of perfection. You'll never reach it.- Salvador Dali

              Some of the best players that I know really can't play the drums well, but they play music superlatively well. - Jim Chapin

              Comment


              • Just booked a gig for oct 27th,,,,,,,,,,,a halloween costume party !!!!! Never had the opportunity to dress up and play.....kinda looking forward to it!
                Jack of all trades....Master of none...

                Comment


                • We're doing a costume contest deal show on 10/26 as well. I've done several years at a local venue where they book several known bands from the scene and have each of them perform 4-6 songs 'as' a big name act. I've done Huey Lewis/News, Eddie Money, and others. Always a blast; it's typically a two-night affair at this point, and always sells out.



                  But I've only done one Halloween costume party gig where the focus is the audience rather than the acts before, and there was a contest as well...

                  Of course, without knowing it ahead of time, our host (partner of the sponsoring DJs; a bit of a local name as he was on the big Alt station in Chicago for a while) had some footage taped, and then edited a (really rough) clip and posted it;

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9bCLlwlIzE



























                  And yes, of course, Teen Wolf won the costume contest.

                  How could he not?
                  For cripe's sake, somebody buy that kid a freaking DICTIONARY already!

                  Comment








                  • Quote Originally Posted by race81
                    View Post

                    Just booked a gig for oct 27th,,,,,,,,,,,a halloween costume party !!!!! Never had the opportunity to dress up and play.....kinda looking forward to it!




                    Need I say more...

                    The Southpaw is rising again!
                    I finally made it into the Flaming Pedals of Doom. That was the longest and toughest audition I ever had to endure!
                    Yep...Still the Director of the Geezer Guild for 2013...and counting

                    http://carminem7.wix.com/carminestrollo

                    Comment


                    • haha....star trek theme for the band....pretty cool. teen wolf getup was very neat, but man that would be hot! gotta think of a group theme for us...one gig it should all about having fun!
                      Jack of all trades....Master of none...

                      Comment


                      • lol...ok ..tell me thought process of you getup there Carm,!!






                        Quote Originally Posted by Carminemw
                        View Post

                        Need I say more...





                        Jack of all trades....Master of none...

                        Comment


                        • Opus.
                          For cripe's sake, somebody buy that kid a freaking DICTIONARY already!

                          Comment








                          • Quote Originally Posted by kmart
                            View Post

                            But I've only done one Halloween costume party gig where the focus is the audience rather than the acts before, and there was a contest as well...

                            Of course, without knowing it ahead of time, our host (partner of the sponsoring DJs; a bit of a local name as he was on the big Alt station in Chicago for a while) had some footage taped, and then edited a (really rough) clip and posted it;

                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9bCLlwlIzE






                            Beam me up!!!! Great song, love it.
                            Signature?

                            Comment


                            • I also had a back scrub brush and a little sign I carried around that said "Howdy Do!"
                              The Southpaw is rising again!
                              I finally made it into the Flaming Pedals of Doom. That was the longest and toughest audition I ever had to endure!
                              Yep...Still the Director of the Geezer Guild for 2013...and counting

                              http://carminem7.wix.com/carminestrollo

                              Comment








                              • Quote Originally Posted by kmart
                                View Post

                                Opus.




                                So was some other member of the band dressed as Bill the Cat?







                                *ack*


                                Good playing can hide a crappy drumset, but even the best drumset can't hide crappy playing.

                                Have no fear of perfection. You'll never reach it.- Salvador Dali

                                Some of the best players that I know really can't play the drums well, but they play music superlatively well. - Jim Chapin

                                Comment













                                Working...
                                X