Gibson Store, Opry Mills Mall

halmot

• Members

I live in the neighborhood, so you'd think I'd drop in more often than I do. Compared to other local guitar shops, including GC, I've always found this place a little frustrating to visit, for one reason -- there's hardly any place to sit! Last night in the electrics section (two long walls, four sides, with guitars two-high on each side), there was exactly one stool. In the acoustics, it's usually a little better -- there were two. Is this some sort of passive-aggressive stance to protect their merchandise? I can certainly understand if they'd rather not have all their expensive guitars pawed over all day, even though no one ever seems to be bothered when I take a guitar down. I can even understand why they don't make amplifiers easily available to casual browsers, since, after all, the store is in a mall. But it seems to me that someone's more likely to damage a guitar by wandering around the store with it in search of a chair, or by simply "taking a knee."

OK, there's actually two reasons that store bothers me. The lack of stools, sure, but the price tags :eek:! Most of the prices are crossed out, so I'll assume, if only for the sake of my own sanity, that these are the SRPs, and that they'd be happy to make a deal. But then, I don't know anyone who's ever bought a guitar there.

Of course, the answer to all this is that this is a boutique shop, and they naturally want to discourage casual browsing. But then again, it's in a frickin' mall! I mean, they even put the poor guys in the repair shop behind glass to be gawked at all day!

• Members

Last time I went, couple of years ago, my wife said that I should look for a nice guitar. The prices wer suggested retail I guess, but when I asked there was no help forthcoming. Either they didnt know, wanted me to make a n offer (car salesmen?) or something. I hated the whole experience. Made me feel "ick".

• Members

I visited the store a couple of years ago. I browsed around and took a $3000 LP off the rack to give it a play. The salesman comes up, asks if I was interested in buying. I told him I was just browsing and he took the guitar from me and hung it back up and just stood there. Keep in mind, I'm a salesman and was dressed nicely for a dinner.

So, I continued to browse while this guy followed me around. I began taking increasingly more expensive guitars down and gave each a good hard strum. Finally, he left me alone. ;)

• Members

I visited the Gibson factory store in Memphis, where they have a shop with many of their wares for sale. I kind of expected better prices, or perhaps slight imperfections for sale, but nope. Prices were more there than anywhere else. Can't see how they make many sales, but that's probably not their #1 priority for this store.

• Members

I visited the Gibson factory store in Memphis, where they have a shop with many of their wares for sale. I kind of expected better prices, or perhaps slight imperfections for sale, but nope. Prices were more there than anywhere else. Can't see how they make many sales, but that's probably not their #1 priority for this store.

I was in there. The prices are not just high, they were exactly full MSRP.

I was also in the Opryland store - terrible place to buy anything - great place to handle the varied Gibson guitars i'd only seen in pictures.

• Members
I was in there. The prices are not just high, they were exactly full MSRP.

This isn't at all uncommon with manufacturers who depend on retailers to push their product. I've seen it with a number of products. Whenever the manufacturer sells direct, they sell at full MSRP so that they aren't competing with their retailers.

• Members

Yeah, my figuring was rented floor space as advertising write off. It was fun to see the guys working, but to buy would be rather difficult.

I think this is it. I mean, when you look at the outdoor facade, i.e. the (currently defunct?) "Gibson Showcase," which is attached to the store inside the mall, it's clear they're going for the tourist trade.

3290478777_96062103cc_o.jpg

I mean, c'mon! They've even got the smokestack!

• Members

I think this is it. I mean, when you look at the outdoor facade, i.e. the (currently defunct?) "Gibson Showcase," which is attached to the store inside the mall, it's clear they're going for the tourist trade.

3290478777_96062103cc_o.jpg

I mean, c'mon! They've even got the smokestack!

Nope, that's not at the Opry Mills mall.

• Members

That's a mile away from the Gibson Showcase Store.

If that Pic isn't of Opry Mills, they must've gotten a two-for-one deal on the Showcase bad idea.

My friend's band used to play the Gibson Showcase semi-regularly. Nice venue, but weird market. It's 1)in the Opryland tourist gulch, and 2)attached to a mall. The area is practically deserted after 9PM.

• Members

btw, I concur on the lack of seating thing.. Sucked!

I liked the gear they had, but the sales people were kind of weird.. I guess being tasked with protecting at least $1,000,000 worth of gear (easily 500 guitars there with an average price of way more than $2,000) makes ya kind of nervous... I pulled probably $50k in acoustics off the wall and played with them, and the guy was circling like a vulture..

• Members

What's really puzzling about that particular Gibson store charging full MSRP is that Opry Mills is a freakin' outlet mall. Apparently Gibson doesn't know what that means.

It's sad: I found absolutely *the* best LP I've ever touched there. Just perfect for me...but it was $700 more there than it would have been a few miles away at GC.

It stayed there.

• Members

One of Gibson's primary concerns is to NOT compete with their dealers.

Gibson is a manufacturer, not a retailer.

The store is definitely a marketing piece, and a meeting place with their products displayed. There are meeting rooms, and a stage at that location, and when Opry Mills first started, they were practically giving space away to anyone who would rent there. I can remember when you could get up to 5 YEARS free by signing extended leases.

• Members

I think it is because they have those soundproof amp rooms on the west end of the store for you to try out guitars. Last time I was there, the guy asked me what I wanted to try, took them all to one of the amp rooms, and then let me choose which amp I wanted to demo. Then, he left me to it. I thoroughly enjoyed that trip, as I could really play the guitar without worrying about disturbing the mall or other guitar shoppers. I wish more shops had rooms like that.

Archived