Methinks there's a new one in our mist....

FUBTAG

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not sure if this is directed at me or not. I know I'm new around here, but I really am trying to fit in. You guys have a lot of fun and I have learned a lot just reading. I felt kinda voyeuristic just reading, so I joined up.

Let me tell you about myself.

I am a 42 year old writer in St Louis with a degree in English language literature. I have played trumpet for 25 years. A couple of years ago I started writing lyrics. Without a band, I took it upon myself to learn to sing, play guitar and record so I could make my songs real, not just a notebook full of lyrics.

I figured I could play trumpet, how hard could guitar be? What a humbling experience. It's been a bitch and progress is slow. So if I ask a bunch of stupid questions, please forgive me; I'm trying to learn.

I'm also new to the whole online forum biz, so if I do something trollish, please call me out on it. That is not my intent.

I make no claims at being an expert on anything guitar related, though I have picked up some knowledge through my trials and errors of turning my beater SG into a player and rebuilding my Silvertone from pieces. I have a fair amount of experience as a woodworker which is where I learned the skills to put the archtop back together. What I didn't know I researched and figured it out.

I have the SG, the Silvertone archtop, a Blues Jr and a couple of cheapo practice amps gathering dust now. I also have a Gretsch Electromatic short scale bass that I'm learning to play. My oldest son plays and has a MIM strat, an Epi LP (birdseye maple, very cool) and an Ovation Celebrity. Got no high end gear, but I'm planing on getting a nicer electric this summer. Haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning towards an Epi Wildkat or a G400. After that, a new acoustic something or other. Maybe a Seagull or Godin 5th Avenue. Have a little bit of recording gear now; an interface, Blue Snowball mic and the ever popular Garageband. Will probably move to Logic later this year.

So that's me. Hope I'm introduced now and you guys don't think I'm here to be an ass. Just a guy who has fallen for guitars pretty hard and looking to hang with people who share my interest.

I have recorded a couple of tunes. They are really rough and just done with loops right now. Sorry, I'm on the handheld right now and can't post a link, but my stuff is over at soundclick under Elias Graves if you really want to hear it. Jerry Mac and Baseball Girl are the only two there that even come close to resembling songs right now. Check 'em out if you want, but don't say I didn't warn you.

EG

• Members

I'm not sure if this is directed at me or not. I know I'm new around here, but I really am trying to fit in. You guys have a lot of fun and I have learned a lot just reading. I felt kinda voyeuristic just reading, so I joined up.

I am a 42 year old writer in St Louis with a degree in English language literature. I have played trumpet for 25 years. A couple of years ago I started writing lyrics. Without a band, I took it upon myself to learn to sing, play guitar and record so I could make my songs real, not just a notebook full of lyrics.

I figured I could play trumpet, how hard could guitar be? What a humbling experience. It's been a bitch and progress is slow. So if I ask a bunch of stupid questions, please forgive me; I'm trying to learn.

I'm also new to the whole online forum biz, so if I do something trollish, please call me out on it. That is not my intent.

I make no claims at being an expert on anything guitar related, though I have picked up some knowledge through my trials and errors of turning my beater SG into a player and rebuilding my Silvertone from pieces. I have a fair amount of experience as a woodworker which is where I learned the skills to put the archtop back together. What I didn't know I researched and figured it out.

I have the SG, the Silvertone archtop, a Blues Jr and a couple of cheapo practice amps gathering dust now. I also have a Gretsch Electromatic short scale bass that I'm learning to play. My oldest son plays and has a MIM strat, an Epi LP (birdseye maple, very cool) and an Ovation Celebrity. Got no high end gear, but I'm planing on getting a nicer electric this summer. Haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning towards an Epi Wildkat or a G400. After that, a new acoustic something or other. Maybe a Seagull or Godin 5th Avenue. Have a little bit of recording gear now; an interface, Blue Snowball mic and the ever popular Garageband. Will probably move to Logic later this year.

So that's me. Hope I'm introduced now and you guys don't think I'm here to be an ass. Just a guy who has fallen for guitars pretty hard and looking to hang with people who share my interest.

I have recorded a couple of tunes. They are really rough and just done with loops right now. Sorry, I'm on the handheld right now and can't post a link, but my stuff is over at soundclick under Elias Graves if you really want to hear it. Jerry Mac and Baseball Girl are the only two there that even come close to resembling songs right now. Check 'em out if you want, but don't say I didn't warn you.

EG

^^^^

MODS

• Members

JJ

• Members

Honestly guys, have I done something wrong here? I haven't come in trashing anyone, haven't represented myself as anything other than what I am. Any threads I started seemed like legitimate questions I had. I don't get it.

EG

LOL I don't think this thread was about you. However, I think they're just giving you a good friendly ribbing. :poke:

• Members
Honestly guys, have I done something wrong here? I haven't come in trashing anyone, haven't represented myself as anything other than what I am. Any threads I started seemed like legitimate questions I had. I don't get it.

EG

Pretty sure you're safe this time, man. :D

• Members
Sorry for butting in, then. Carry on.

I didn't know if maybe everyone thought I was some sort of covert agent or something.

EG

Nope, put your pants back on Nancy.

Sorry not even sure why I said that, too much coffee today.... :)

• Members

EG

From a fellow old {censored}er who lasted a while here, welcome.

Now STFU NOOB! J/K. That's just too HCAF.

Now, back to the thread already in progress.

I need the coordinates for the bravo tango section. Goober, you with me? How 'bout you Leaker?

Leaker?

Leaker?

Come in Leaker!

Leaker, you out there?

Archived