Listening to some John Lee Hooker.

leftyDaveZ

• Members

and gotdammit, if ain't giving me some goosebumps.

Yep, that be John Lee all right ...

If you get the chance, pick up on a mid-70s live solo double album called Alone (originally on Tomato Records), and listen to Disc 1, Track 3: 'Dark Room,'

That sucka'll put goosebumps on your goosebumps.

• Members

Back in the day, late '70's probably, I was at Summerfest in Milwaukee. While returning to my buddies after getting a beer refill, I passed within about 15 feet of a small stage with just an older black guy playing the blues like nobody I've heard in person.

John Lee Hooker.

I stood there in a trance for about 20 minutes before one of my friends came looking for me. Then we both stood there.

• Members

I love JLH, my dad got one of those blues legends magazine/cd affairs when I was around 15 and I pretty much played that "best of" constantly. I must have been the only 15 year old who was a Slayer and old style blues fan.

One of my best mates, who's a much better guitarist than me, couldn't disagree more. He could never get round the sloppiness of it all, sometimes JLH would play 12, then 11, then 13 bars in the same (12 bar) song. He grew up in the perfect timing/perfect playing shred days though

Archived