OT - Any Wii owners? (possible Guitar Hero content!)

RaVenCAD

• Members

the wii is pretty awesome, but guitar hero is TERRIBLE on it.

the delay is just too long. i found it near impossible to play, and that wasn't just 1 wii. you press the note and pluck, and it actually does it about a second later, and it just makes it way too hard to play.

I've got GH World Tour on Wii and have never had a problem with latency at all...it runs very smooth. The main difference with the xBox version is the graphics - they're much better on it. However, the wii version is still plenty of fun.

Super Mario Galaxy is good - my kids love it.

Lego Star Wars is a fun two player game.

Tiger Woods 09 is very cool if you're into golf.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Another interesting fact is that Nintendo makes money on video games. Nintendo is a very profitable company right now. Microsoft has lost over 7 billion on the Xbox so far. I think Sony made some money on the PS2 but I'm pretty sure they are losing money on the PS3.

Max

Microsoft purposely loses money on the console itself thinking games and xbox live should recover them which is seems they should. But, there systems are so unreliable (almost every person i know has sent theres in) that its biting them in the ass.....but stilll....

"As most of you know, Microsoft lost a lot of money this year, due to theie warranty extension from the "Red Ring of Death" and many law suits, but Microsoft's president of the Entertainment and Devices division, Robbie Bach claims that Microsoft made more money than Microsoft. He says their attach rate is 6.1 games per console and 4 accesories. He says that during the 7 or 8 months, people have spent $2.6 billion in the U.S. alone. That's double compared to the Wii or PS3 and the Xbox 360 is launched in 11 more countries, 37 worldwide."

http://www.gamegrep.com/news/4088-microsoft_xbox_made_more_money_than_sony_and_nintendo/

• Members

RC,
As people have posted, MarioKart, Mario Galaxy and boom blox are all great games. I really enjoyed playing "lego star wars" - very nostalgic for me since i grew up on legos and remember goign to see star wars in theatres when i was very young. If you've got some blocks of free time in your schedule, you can't go wrong with the Zelda game either - but its not a casual pick-up-n-play game, requires a committment (which is why i havent touched it in 2yrs LOL).

i would skip the charging dock - they typically use {censored}ty battery packs. you're better off going to target and buying a two 4-packs of 2650mAh duracell batteries and a small wall charger so you'll always have a fresh set. get some serious play time with a pair of those batteries (5000+ mAh vs the typical 800-1000mAh packs found in the charging dock kits)

pick up a decent sized SD card too. keep in mind the wii will not read anything larger than 2GB (so i hear, have not tested this) so don't bother getting 4GB or higher capacity. 2GBs are dirt cheap too, like $5 on newegg.com

I dig the wireless wii sensor bar if your tv setup is like mine and not close to the AV/amp rack. the ~15ft cable wouldnt reach anyway.

oh yeah, also, COMPONENT VIDEO CABLES. big improvement in picture quality over the standard composite video cables. no brainer if you have an HDTV setup

here's a pic of my setup, you can see the wii on the top shelf of the A/V rack, and (barely) the wireless sensor bar underneath TV sitting on top of center channel speaker.

2231569517_cf76e14f65_b.jpg

• Members

RC,

As people have posted, MarioKart, Mario Galaxy and boom blox are all great games. I really enjoyed playing "lego star wars" - very nostalgic for me since i grew up on legos and remember goign to see star wars in theatres when i was very young. If you've got some blocks of free time in your schedule, you can't go wrong with the Zelda game either - but its not a casual pick-up-n-play game, requires a committment (which is why i havent touched it in 2yrs LOL).

i would skip the charging dock - they typically use {censored}ty battery packs. you're better off going to target and buying a two 4-packs of 2650mAh duracell batteries and a small wall charger so you'll always have a fresh set. get some serious play time with a pair of those batteries (5000+ mAh vs the typical 800-1000mAh packs found in the charging dock kits)

pick up a decent sized SD card too. keep in mind the wii will not read anything larger than 2GB (so i hear, have not tested this) so don't bother getting 4GB or higher capacity. 2GBs are dirt cheap too, like $5 on newegg.com

I dig the wireless wii sensor bar if your tv setup is like mine and not close to the AV/amp rack. the ~15ft cable wouldnt reach anyway.

oh yeah, also, COMPONENT VIDEO CABLES. big improvement in picture quality over the standard composite video cables. no brainer if you have an HDTV setup

here's a pic of my setup, you can see the wii on the top shelf of the A/V rack, and (barely) the wireless sensor bar underneath TV sitting on top of center channel speaker.

2231569517_cf76e14f65_b.jpg

GREAT setup.

• Members

Yeah, it doesn't support SDHC cards (>2GB). I tried.

If you can find a non-SDHC 4GB card, you can pad it down to 2GB. Then as it fills you remove some of the padding.

Mario Galaxy is insanely hard. Not recommended if you can't play hard games. The first boss is nearly unbeatable because Mario can't outrun him, and Mario can only take 3 hits before he dies. What a wuss.

Mario Kart is still quite nasty but much of that comes from cheap computer opponents (if you want to unlock the good karts and bikes) and then going online and being pitted against pros. Super Smash Bros Brawl is an excellent choice for parties.

If you're buying new Guitar Hero games, 360 would be far better. Be prepared to have it be a one-trick pony unless you are an FPS fiend. Guitar Hero World Tour looks worse on the Wii than even the old PS2 games. Rock Band 1 is crippled but Rock Band 2 is mostly functional on Wii. On 360 and PS3 the games are full featured.

PS3 is recommended over 360 because it's a Blu-Ray player if you don't have one.

• Members

Microsoft purposely loses money on the console itself thinking games and xbox live should recover them which is seems they should. But, there systems are so unreliable (almost every person i know has sent theres in) that its biting them in the ass.....but stilll....

"As most of you know, Microsoft lost a lot of money this year, due to theie warranty extension from the "Red Ring of Death" and many law suits, but Microsoft's president of the Entertainment and Devices division, Robbie Bach claims that Microsoft made more money than Microsoft. He says their attach rate is 6.1 games per console and 4 accesories. He says that during the 7 or 8 months, people have spent $2.6 billion in the U.S. alone. That's double compared to the Wii or PS3 and the Xbox 360 is launched in 11 more countries, 37 worldwide."

I'm pretty sure they will have to continue this trend for many years before that division becomes profitable. Nintendo has outsold them on consoles big time.

Microsoft has never been very good at hardware and the horrible failure rate of the 360 just continues that trend. If I remember right Microsoft has only three products that actually turn a profit, everything else they do loses money.

Max

• Members

well in essence their size is their curse. They can't change on the fly like Nintendo can on products because they employ like 40,000 people. But the wii is also relatively new compared to the 360. And almost everyone i know has a 360 or ps3 and only a couple have wii's. the 18-28 year old range is still dominated by xbox and playstation

• Members

Can I just put a word in for Da Blob? It's got THE BEST soundtrack of any game I've played. It's all recorded by live musicians and it gets more layered and complex as you progress on each level. There are several themes to choose from, but unstoppable is my favourite (I think there is even a soundtrack CD floating around somewhere). Anyway the game's pretty cool too.

As lots of people have said, the wii isn't a graphics monster, so the best games on it are quite cartoony.

Lots of fun creating Miis aswell, I've done one of Jimi Hendrix that's not too shabby.

• Members

Here's a link on how to create a Jimi Hendrix Mii

jimii_8081BE67.jpg

http://www.miicharacters.com/index.php?mii=71

The cool thing is that your Miis are in the background during some of the games. Like the OP says, that makes it a great family game. My kids love seeing their Nan or cousin playing bowling on the next lane to them, or getting in their way on Mario Kart.

• Members

Can I just put a word in for Da Blob? It's got THE BEST soundtrack of any game I've played. It's all recorded by live musicians and it gets more layered and complex as you progress on each level. There are several themes to choose from, but unstoppable is my favourite (I think there is even a soundtrack CD floating around somewhere). Anyway the game's pretty cool too.

As lots of people have said, the wii isn't a graphics monster, so the best games on it are quite cartoony.

Lots of fun creating Miis aswell, I've done one of Jimi Hendrix that's not too shabby.

YESS. Da Blob is awesome. And Lego Star Wars is a must and I have Call of Duty World at War that I'm working through: very nice as well.

Word of advice: Don't ever buy HDMI cables from the big box stores or you'll pay ten times too much. Composite also will work, but if you search on line you can find HDMI's for 6 bucks. If you're in hurry go to Wal Mart, and you'll only pay five times too much.

• Members

If you can find a non-SDHC 4GB card, you can pad it down to 2GB. Then as it fills you remove some of the padding.

Mario Galaxy is insanely hard. Not recommended if you can't play hard games. The first boss is nearly unbeatable because Mario can't outrun him, and Mario can only take 3 hits before he dies. What a wuss.

Mario Kart is still quite nasty but much of that comes from cheap computer opponents (if you want to unlock the good karts and bikes) and then going online and being pitted against pros. Super Smash Bros Brawl is an excellent choice for parties.

If you're buying new Guitar Hero games, 360 would be far better. Be prepared to have it be a one-trick pony unless you are an FPS fiend. Guitar Hero World Tour looks worse on the Wii than even the old PS2 games. Rock Band 1 is crippled but Rock Band 2 is mostly functional on Wii. On 360 and PS3 the games are full featured.

PS3 is recommended over 360 because it's a Blu-Ray player if you don't have one.

It was a SDHC card so it didn't recognize it. My wife played Super Mario Galaxy and got too frustrated at one point so she stopped playing it altogether. :D I can make you feel dizzy, too I guess if you play it for too long.

A game I can't recommend is Sega Superstar Tennis... After you have played Wii Sports Tennis you are too spoilt. The controls are really nasty.

• Members

Any of the Lego games rock. My kids have worked through Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Batman with my wife playing along. Can't go wrong with any of them.

More votes for Mario Cart and Super Smash Bros as well.

And my daughter just loves Animal Crossing. She's playing it right now.

• Members

And another detail: Super Smash Bros Brawl is no fun until you unlock all the characters. Fortunately there is a guide to unlocking all of them quickly. It's on GameFAQs and the guide is at the end of Amazing Ampharos 's FAQ. It basically involves just playing hundreds of one-second matches (a special mode available makes that possible).

They put obscure guys like Pit from the forgotten 80s game "Kid Icarus" as available from the start and make you work to unlock Sonic.

Once everything's unlocked Super Smash Bros Brawl becomes a party classic.

Nintendo lately has been making their games really nasty hard for a 1-player experience. It would be like having Guitar Hero Metallica (wait a second that's coming out soon) and only having Expert available.

Again, if all you really want is Guitar Hero get a 360.

• Members

I did mention the way to unlock them in the sentence that was right after the one you quoted.

Now one more caveat about Guitar Hero on Wii:

Guitar Hero World Tour Wii doesn't have the Hendrix material or the rest of Death Magnetic.

Rock Band 2 Wii is only slowly getting downloadable songs. There's like 80 songs out of the 400+ available on the other platforms. It's otherwise fully featured (except no custom tattoos and logos so you can't, say, recreate KISS)

• Members

I have a Wii. If you're all about graphics, I would suggest the PS3 or Xbox. The Wii is all about the playing experience which it's the best in my opinion.

Great for the family, my 3 year old plays a couple driving games and my wife and I love the Wii Sports. Haven't played GH yet...

Gameplay > graphics any day

I don't care if it has the worst graphics of the three systems out there, I care that I can play golf and actually swing a club or load up Call Of Duty and actually point and shoot things rather than just mashing buttons and trying to aim with a tiny little stick.

• Members

zelda -twilight princess. amazing game.

metroid prime 3: corruption is also very badass. not very far into that one yet.

These are the two main reasons I bought the wii. For some reason I have yet to play Zelda, but Metroid Prime 3 is amazing (but way too easy if you ask me). I have played both of these series since the old 8-bit NES days.

• Members

Got my Wii! Having a blast.. The vintage games have already been browsed, and Wii points are being purchased ASAP.. :thu:

If all I wanted was Guitar Hero, I would have just bought it for our old PS2.. Mario Kart is on the on the shopping list for this weekend, as are the component cables.. Walmart didn't have them, so I guess I gotta hit Best Buy..

• Members

I have GH3 and World Tour and have had ZERO problems with lag/latency. Most essential games have been covered, but I'll offer a few more:

The Godfather--Better than the PS2/Xbox versions because you get to swing the controllers to beat people up

No More Heroes - a stylish and surprisingly brutal adventure

Zack and Wiki - a great cartoony adventure game

WarioWare - crazy fun collection of odd and ridiculous mini games

And for the love of God don't get Nintendo's Zapper. The design blows and I only used it once after buying it. The one you want is right here.

I have a charging station from Gamestop. It works well but isn't anything special. A batch of rechargeable AAs would be perfect.

Archived