HELP!!! HSS set-up, 250k or 500k pot?

dimibetan

• Members

Well it depends what sound is more important to you, or if you want to compromise.

Use a 500k if the HB tone is more important, or a 250k if the single coil is, or a 300K if you want to compromise (Yamaha does this).

Or... :idea: get the best of both worlds... use a 500k pot, and put a 500k parallel resistor across each single coil pickup. The only problem is when using more then one pickup at a time, but you might like or dislike what you get.

Or you could compromise again and use a resistor something around 7-800k...

• Members

Well it depends what sound is more important to you, or if you want to compromise.

Use a 500k if the HB tone is more important, or a 250k if the single coil is, or a 300K if you want to compromise (Yamaha does this).

Or...
:idea:
get the best of both worlds... use a 500k pot, and put a 500k series resistor across each single coil pickup. The only problem is when using more then one pickup at a time, but you might like or dislike what you get.

Or you could compromise again and use a resistor something around 7-800k...

This is very bad... What will the SCs sound if its used with 500k? Anyone tried this?

• Members
Perhaps shoot for something in the middle? Gibson has used (and may continue to) 300K resistors on models. It also has a lot to do with the specific pups you're using. The the hum is of the brighter vintage PAF variety, you could probably get good results all around using a 250K. However, if the HB is more aggressive and you're using over wound sc's, a 500K could sound just fine. Unfortunately, you're going to need to experiment a bit...

• Members

Higher value of pot means higher treble response. So, the SC PU will sound brighter, right?

HHmmm... Does that sound good?

Yes it will be brighter. Whether it sounds good or not depends on the pup. You could also try some dual gang pots (250/500)

• Members

Yes it will be brighter. Whether it sounds good or not depends on the pup. You could also try some dual gang pots (250/500)

McGYVER-ish!!!!

I was thinking about that. Its a blend pot but with different values. Ive looked over ebay but no one sells like that.

Where do you think I can buy this?

• Members

McGYVER-ish!!!!

I was thinking about that. Its a blend pot but with different values. Ive looked over ebay but no one sells like that.

Where do you think I can buy this?

Don't think it's possible to do a blend with 2 different values, or at least I've never seen them. But I have a small stock of dual concentric 500K/205K pots for a couple projects I have lined up. You'll need to wire the dual volume pot before the pickup selector to allow individual control of each pickups volume or wire each pole of your pickup selector to the pot with the humbucker on on pole and the sc's on the other pole.

• Members

This is very bad... What will the SCs sound if its used with 500k? Anyone tried this?

Did you read it? If you put a 500k resistor in parallel (oops I said series, I've corrected the post) with the single coil, when it's selected, the 500k resistor and the 500k pot in parallel will be 250k!

• Members

Did you read it? If you put a 500k resistor in parallel (oops I said series, I've corrected the post) with the single coil, when it's selected, the 500k resistor and the 500k pot in parallel will be 250k!

Oh, sorry. Im not really good at technical stuff.:lol:

• Members

I believe you could use either. the 500k will give you more deep and dark tones and the 250k will give you brighter tones. however the caps will have a bigger effect on the tone, but again it would be 47mf for darker tone and a 22mf for brighter.

• Members

I believe you could use either. the 500k will give you more deep and dark tones and the 250k will give you brighter tones. however the caps will have a bigger effect on the tone, but again it would be 47mf for darker tone and a 22mf for brighter.

I think one of the two tone pots controls the neck and middle, one is for the humbucking bridge. But, I dont know which tone pot is for which...

Anyway, as you have said, my understanding is they are the same:

500k pot with the 22mf cap = 250k with the 47mf cap

right?

• Members

I did some resaerch for this diagram, and I learned that:

The two 450k resistors are for the SC pups. It will still have the value of 250k volume pot even though you are using a 500k volume pot.

The resistor and cap attached to the volume pot, warms up the sound as you roll-off the volume knob.

Pickup switching

1-Full HB Bridge

2-Coil tap Bridge and Middle

3-Middle

4-Middle and Neck

5-Neck

250k tone pot with .047 is for Neck and Middle pups

250k tone pot with .22 is for Bridge

I edited the diagram (changing the values of the tone pot from 500k to 250k) and here how it looks:

hss-1_edited.jpg

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG:wave:

• Members

This has a 500K volume, a 250K tone for the middle and neck, and a 500K to roll off one of the coils from the bridge humbucker.

wally.jpg

Wow!!! nice guitar!!!

Anyway, can you share me the wiring diagram of this guitar?

Thanks

Archived