Need help with my major..

lewzer

• Members

I hope this is the right forum... I've been searching a lot but I would like to share my own personal situation.

I'm technically a 22 year-old Junior and finally decided to declare my major: Bachelor of Arts in Music playing Guitar. That means I basically have to start as a freshman in the music classes and work my way through, meaning about 3 more years before I graduate. The mass comm classes that I've previously taken will go towards my minor, that way they won't go to waste.

The problem I'm running into now is that my parents have expressed that it would be great if I could get a Masters in Music. I agree that it would be great, but after talking to my advisors I would really want the Bachelors of Music instead of the BA, meaning at least 4 more years before I graduate.

My question is: Does it make sense going with the BA Music degree? My parents have been extraordinarily generous and supportive in me taking the time to figure out what I want to do, so financially I think I'll be fine.

Now I know you'll ask what I want to do. At this point, I really don't think I want to teach. Of course I would really like to make a solid living playing music. I would love to write/play hard rock, Queens of the Stone Age/Thin Lizzy/Metallica inspired music. But with the versatility I'll gain playing music, I'm hoping I'll have a lot of options. I also know that "making it" doesn't require a degree, but I'm hoping being in this program will greatly enhance my skills (classical guitar, piano, vocals, sight reading) and help me become a musician. I'm also hoping a Music degree will provide a solid backup on it's own.

So, any suggestions would be very helpful. I know there are a lot of folks that have been in a similar position. Thanks.

• Moderators

what do you plan to do with the degree? teach? Then yes. But the sad thing is now you are way behind the dime on your reqs, and you should have selected a major before now...good luck.

If it were me, I would get a degree in IT/Computer Science, or Business, or Nursing, or Engineering...where you will have some options later in life. Then again, I got my degree in Mass Comm Mgmnt...so what do I know? ;)

• Members

I said in my OP that I don't think I want to teach. I'd really rather play music, but I know now difficult that is to do. I'm also really terrible with anything mathematical, so really my only other options (given my past courses which are mainly mass com) are Mass Com (tried it, hated it), General Studies or an Interdisciplinary Degree. So, music sounds like the best option to me. I'm just trying to narrow it to BA or BM.

• Members

I've heard several people who have their Masters in Music perform -- not a single interesting musician in the group. I'm sure there are exceptions but it just seems like they drill all the flavor out of musicians somehow during the last few years of the process, i.e. they become homogenized. They all seem to earn a living though...

If you want to become the best musician you can quit school and beg, borrow, or steal to gig as often as possible with the finest musicians in your area. No other path will increase your musicianship more if you've already done the college basics. Great bandleaders create the most interesting musicians.

Neither a BA nor a BM is going to get you anywhere good in life that playing skills alone couldn't IMO. So once you've completed a music performance diploma you're pretty well prepared musically, completing the masters is more about optics or employment than playing it seems.

• Members

I hope this is the right forum... I've been searching a lot but I would like to share my own personal situation.

I'm technically a 22 year-old Junior and finally decided to declare my major: Bachelor of Arts in Music playing Guitar. That means I basically have to start as a freshman in the music classes and work my way through, meaning about 3 more years before I graduate. The mass comm classes that I've previously taken will go towards my minor, that way they won't go to waste.

The problem I'm running into now is that my parents have expressed that it would be great if I could get a Masters in Music. I agree that it would be great, but after talking to my advisors I would really want the Bachelors of Music instead of the BA, meaning at least 4 more years before I graduate.

My question is: Does it make sense going with the BA Music degree? My parents have been extraordinarily generous and supportive in me taking the time to figure out what I want to do, so financially I think I'll be fine.

Now I know you'll ask what I want to do. At this point, I really don't think I want to teach. Of course I would really like to make a solid living playing music. I would love to write/play hard rock, Queens of the Stone Age/Thin Lizzy/Metallica inspired music. But with the versatility I'll gain playing music, I'm hoping I'll have a lot of options. I also know that "making it" doesn't require a degree, but I'm hoping being in this program will greatly enhance my skills (classical guitar, piano, vocals, sight reading) and help me become a musician. I'm also hoping a Music degree will provide a solid backup on it's own.

So, any suggestions would be very helpful. I know there are a lot of folks that have been in a similar position. Thanks.

Thanks for info

• Members

Unfortunately about the only job a music degree gets you is a gig teaching music. It can lead to symphony gigs, that sort of thing if your performance is great and your sight reading is impeccable. And the opportunity to compose and place orchestral and/or big band pieces is better. But most music degree holders end up becoming music teachers.

My old alto/tenor player from a few yours ago is a tenured prof at Gonzaga University in Spokane. He has his doctorate, and makes a good living. He mostly has TAs do his lectures and he spends a lot of time composing, judging college and high school band competitions (for 300 dollars a day + expenses and up) and directs the jazz band at the U. He also writes and sells horn arrangements.

He performs sometimes, but he had to quit my band because his schedule didn't leave him much time or flexibility for actually playing music, which I found to be the ultimate irony in having a music degree.

• Members

Thanks Music Calgary and BlueStrat. That's basically what I was thinking anyways. I'm also not even sure I can play at the same level as the other BM Guitar majors. They are really fantastic players. I have another year before I can decide but I think I'll do what you both said: Gain skills in the music program and gig as much as possible. I just need to find some folks to work with.

Thanks

• Members

I said in my OP that I don't think I want to teach. I'd really rather play music, but I know now difficult that is to do. I'm also really terrible with anything mathematical, so really my only other options (given my past courses which are mainly mass com) are Mass Com (tried it, hated it), General Studies or an Interdisciplinary Degree. So, music sounds like the best option to me. I'm just trying to narrow it to BA or BM.

You mentioned that you tried mass communications and hated it. Why? Have you thought about speech comm or business?

• Members

You mentioned that you tried mass communications and hated it. Why? Have you thought about speech comm or business?

After taking the courses, I couldn't see myself enjoying anything in the field. I haven't thought much about speech comm or business. I looked at the curriculum in the business program and it didn't look like anything I want to do. I picked Music because I knew I would enjoy the program. That and the guitar instructor is a really great guy and has done a lot for me in terms of helping me get into the program. I'm just struggling to decide what I'm actually going to do with it.

• Members

To be completely honest with you. Unless you are planning on teaching music then you are wasting your time getting a bachelors in music. If you are getting it because you would like to play music full time in a band then you should not do it and finish up the Comm degree. Getting a degree to be a musician is like getting a degree to be an actor or a degree to be an professional athlete, a lot of making it in those businesses is hard work and natural ability. If you get a degree in music and 2-3 years down the line you can't find anymore paying gigs then what are you doing to fall back on?

I think it is always best for musicians to find another field they like outside of music and get their degree in that and work on music as its own thing. So if you lose interest in music or it just doesn't work out then you don't have all your eggs in one basket.

• Members

I'm hoping to make it "big time" and the only music classes I've taken are theory (to help me understand things and sight read better,) and piano to supplement my writing skills and understanding of music. I'm majoring in Business Administration. One of my previous bands had a drummer who had his BA in Music and he was honestly, not very exciting to play with. He knew a million chords on the guitar, and alot of drum beats, but he was....so boring to play with. The only way I can describe it is uptight and in a box. Just my .02 worth

-Jason

• Members

After taking the courses, I couldn't see myself enjoying anything in the field. I haven't thought much about speech comm or business. I looked at the curriculum in the business program and it didn't look like anything I want to do. I picked Music because I knew I would enjoy the program. That and the guitar instructor is a really great guy and has done a lot for me in terms of helping me get into the program. I'm just struggling to decide what I'm actually going to do with it.

Why not try to take private guitar and theory lessons from the guitar instructor and in the meantime, pursue a degree that will ultimately be more beneficial for you in the future?

• Members

I studied music (jazz guitar performance) at the University of North Texas for a year and a half before changing my major to Radio, Television and Film (took a music minor). If I did it all again, I would have finished the music program rather than changed. Why? Well, I'm a software developer now. My degree really had no impact on my career. Of course, if I had majored in computer science I would have been able to start in that industry rather than sneak my way in.;)

To those saying getting a degree in music is a waste of time, I must disagree. There is no other way to really submerge yourself in music 100%. You will eat, breath, and dream music. You'll get the chance to play with a million different people, and if like UNT, get masterclass lessons from pros and private concerts. While a music degree doesn't guarantee any type of career, you will be prepared (if you have the drive) to pickup virtually any gig and will probably be able to read music and play a variety of genres ahead of those who didn't study at the college level. Additionally, you have the opportunity to build an incredible network of contacts.

• Members

To those saying getting a degree in music is a waste of time, I must disagree. There is no other way to really submerge yourself in music 100%. You will eat, breath, and dream music. You'll get the chance to play with a million different people, and if like UNT, get masterclass lessons from pros and private concerts. While a music degree doesn't guarantee any type of career, you will be prepared (if you have the drive) to pickup virtually any gig and will probably be able to read music and play a variety of genres ahead of those who didn't study at the college level. Additionally, you have the opportunity to build an incredible network of contacts.

And why did you change your major again?

• Members

What, no love for the male nurses?

That's gotta be at least 10:1!

So true, it's actually more like 50:1...but I can tell you being a straight male nurse myself that it is a SERIOUS game killer...I know this is gonna sound extremely egotistical, but I NEVER had any problem picking up and banging rediculously hot women until I became a nurse...Seriously, I thought, "well, I can't declare a major, and I'm gonna hate whatever I have to do for 40 hours a week anyways, might as well go into nursing, it's great money and really flexible, not to mention I'll be surrounded by women!!!"...I did and I can honestly tell you that whenever I'm kicking my game to some hot woman that is interested in me, the minute I mention I'm a nurse they lose all interest...this is no joke, it may be different in your area/age group, but I can assure you that it has been my experience...not many women want to be with a guy who has a more feminine job than them...

• Members

So true, it's actually more like 50:1...but I can tell you being a straight male nurse myself that it is a SERIOUS game killer...I know this is gonna sound extremely egotistical, but I NEVER had any problem picking up and banging rediculously hot women until I became a nurse...Seriously, I thought, "well, I can't declare a major, and I'm gonna hate whatever I have to do for 40 hours a week anyways, might as well go into nursing, it's great money and really flexible, not to mention I'll be surrounded by women!!!"...I did and I can honestly tell you that whenever I'm kicking my game to some hot woman that is interested in me, the minute I mention I'm a nurse they lose all interest...this is no joke, it may be different in your area/age group, but I can assure you that it has been my experience...not many women want to be with a guy who has a more feminine job than them...

lawl see if you were a psychologist, you would be the guy "they could tell anything to." Its brilliant. There are 40 kids in my Theories of Personality class and 5, including myself, are male. Intro to psych was a class of about 45, and there were 8 males, but most were there because of the core requirement for a social science.

• Members

ive always said that im too passionate about music to major in it. ive met music majors and they are all about the theory. dont get me wrong, theory is important, and i know enough to get by (and maybe a little extra), but music majors seem to have this elitist vibe going on. i think we could all agree that much of music is based on math, how to build chords, beats, etc., and i enjoy music much more than i enjoy math.

i think if music is your passion you should pursue it outside of your major. find something else that interests you that you can fall back on if you have to, or use it to support your music life untill you "make it", or whatever your goal is.

i dont think a music major is useless, but it is more usefull if you want to teach. i just know that i would lose interest in music if i majored in it. kind of like know a magicians secrets, its no fun afterward.

just my thoughts on the subject.

• 3 months later...

Archived