So what do you folks think of the OCD Overdrive?

Electric Monk

• Members

Mixed bag for me. Most people love it. It's very different than a tube screamer. The OCD has a wider range of gain, more volume boost, doesn't cut off the low end like a screamer does, and is less compressed. It's incredibly responsive to dynamics (playing, volume knob) in a way that a TS is definitely not. On the flip side, the lack of compression makes it less smooth/creamy as a TS. It can get a bit fizzy/loose sounding at higher gain, it doesn't really do the singing lead thing. Just doesn't fit my style of playing.

It's designed to sound like an old Marshall or Tweed Fender...does its best for a raw Zeppelin-like raw rock sound. Play the Custard Pie riff with it and you'll know.

I'm conveniently selling one right now (see sig/spam thread) ;)

• Members

Tubescreamers are very solid overdrives so I'd say it would be noticeably different instead of better. It's my one overdrive I always use, and I think that the OCD's are great pedals. Sounds big and full when using it, and the HP and LP modes on the pedal are great. I prefer to use the LP mode most of the time. Also, I think it sounds great using it as a 'clean' boost on clean and overdriven tones.

• Members

Isn't the Danelectro Cool Cat Drive supposed to be a clone? Ripoff? Homage? I have a Dano and it ROCKS! The Cool Cat line from what I tried is rock solid. Seems I heard that here or another forum......

For what its worth...

[YOUTUBE]VXxIp9CYnp8[/YOUTUBE]

Personally I think they sound really close. OCD is a bit fatter sounding, Cool Cat has a bit sharper/harsher high end. Obviously the metal enclosure of the Fulltone is going to be quite a bit sturdier. Certainly for $25 the Cool Cat is a steal! The big question is whether it responds to volume knob dynamics like the OCD does which is not addressed in the video.

While it's obvious that the Cool Cat is a great value, before anyone goes trashing on the overpriced boutique OCD do realize that a YouTube video, particularly one with built-in camera audio (rather than a close miced amp) is a pretty poor basis for any definitive judgement. Playing gear in person gives you a totally different perspective on the sound and feel of a product - get out there and try both if you're curious! :cool:

• Members

Mixed bag for me. Most people love it. It's very different than a tube screamer. The OCD has a wider range of gain, more volume boost, doesn't cut off the low end like a screamer does, and is less compressed. It's incredibly responsive to dynamics (playing, volume knob) in a way that a TS is definitely not. On the flip side, the lack of compression makes it less smooth/creamy as a TS. It can get a bit fizzy/loose sounding at higher gain, it doesn't really do the singing lead thing. Just doesn't fit my style of playing.

It's designed to sound like an old Marshall or Tweed Fender...does its best for a raw Zeppelin-like raw rock sound. Play the Custard Pie riff with it and you'll know.

I'm conveniently selling one right now (see sig/spam thread)
;)

just wondering how it can sound like an old Marshall AND a tweed fender.

Is there 2 modes?

• Members

just wondering how it can sound like an old Marshall AND a tweed fender.

Is there 2 modes?

Old Marshalls (the JTM45 I believe) were copies of the Fender Bassman using EL34 tubes instead of 6L6 tubes. So they're not far off to begin with, not like say a Plexi and a blackface Deluxe. There is a HP/LP switch...HP has more output and gain and a brighter bark to the sound (Marshall). LP is warmer and more transparent (tweed Fender).

Honestly I think Barber pedals are better and they're a bit cheaper. The OCD sits on this fine line where it's readily available and not horrible expensive, but still has the boutique aura. Don't get me wrong, it's good. But it's got a lot of hype pushing its popularity and I think there are some lesser known pedals out there that are better.

• Members

I love my V2 OCD. If I could only choose one pedal, that would be it. The low-gain LP modes and the high-gain HP modes sound different enough that I wish I had two of them to use, one for rhythm and the other for lead.

I only listened to half of the YouTube above - wow. I wish I had known how close they sounded before I sprung on my latest dirt pedal. I just couldn't afford $120+ for another OCD, new or used. The YouTube was good enough to get me to buy the Dano. I'll pay the $25 to see how close it sounds in person. The comments about standing up to the road are strange to me. If you've held one of the Cool Cats in your hand you would know that they are metal, and the button seems very sturdy. Not as big a fan of the knobs, but at least you know your settings won't get changed by accident.

• Members

I use a TS808 and also the OCD V3 on my pedal board. NOTHING alike, at all. The TS is no where as raunchy and raw as the OCD.

I love the TS for a lower gain, milder setting. Just a slight OD. The OCD set about 1/2 way on the gain is hot enough to do all the hard rock covers we do.

And for the really heavy stuff I use my Tonebone plexitube.

I wont be getting rid of my OCD anytime soon... but I bought mine used for quite a savings.

AJC

• Members

I use a TS808 and also the OCD V3 on my pedal board. NOTHING alike, at all. The TS is no where as raunchy and raw as the OCD.

I love the TS for a lower gain, milder setting. Just a slight OD. The OCD set about 1/2 way on the gain is hot enough to do all the hard rock covers we do.

And for the really heavy stuff I use my Tonebone plexitube.

I wont be getting rid of my OCD anytime soon... but I bought mine used for quite a savings.

AJC

Yep,

I totally agree with you. I have version 3 as well as a TS and they are NOTHING alike. The OCD has much less compression and has no low end roll off. I use it to boost my JMP100 and it rules for that. I never use it with a clean amp though.

• Members

Personally I think they sound really close. OCD is a bit fatter sounding, Cool Cat has a bit sharper/harsher high end. Obviously the metal enclosure of the Fulltone is going to be quite a bit sturdier. Certainly for $25 the Cool Cat is a steal! The big question is whether it responds to volume knob dynamics like the OCD does which is not addressed in the video.

While it's obvious that the Cool Cat is a great value, before anyone goes trashing on the overpriced boutique OCD do realize that a YouTube video, particularly one with built-in camera audio (rather than a close miced amp) is a pretty poor basis for any definitive judgement. Playing gear in person gives you a totally different perspective on the sound and
feel
of a product - get out there and try both if you're curious!
:cool:

Wow, to my ears the Cool Cat sounded better... Not as nasal as the OCD. If I needed a drive pedal of that nature I'd grab the Dano. :thu:

• Members

While it's obvious that the Cool Cat is a great value, before anyone goes trashing on the overpriced boutique OCD do realize that a YouTube video, particularly one with built-in camera audio (rather than a close miced amp) is a pretty poor basis for any definitive judgement. Playing gear in person gives you a totally different perspective on the sound and
feel
of a product - get out there and try both if you're curious!
:cool:

Yeah, the OCD had more of a refined tone to it, IMO. I've noticed that on a lot of "higher end" pedals vs. some of my cheaper ones. There's just a level of refinement that isn't there on the cheap ones. But, for $25...that Dano sounds pretty darn good!

• Members

I'm conveniently selling one right now (see sig/spam thread)
;)

Good description. Lately I've been goosing my OCD w/ a Germania (treble booster) and it sounds heavenly- tightens the bottom end, adds more harmonic/sparkle/gain. W/out the treble boost the OCD won't "sing", but definitely does w/ it. Fwiw, I also have the Dano Drive and its not nearly as amplike in sound/feel as the OCD.

• Members

Old Marshalls (the JTM45 I believe) were copies of the Fender Bassman using EL34 tubes instead of 6L6 tubes. So they're not far off to begin with, not like say a Plexi and a blackface Deluxe. There is a HP/LP switch...HP has more output and gain and a brighter bark to the sound (Marshall). LP is warmer and more transparent (tweed Fender).

Honestly I think Barber pedals are better and they're a bit cheaper. The OCD sits on this fine line where it's readily available and not horrible expensive, but still has the boutique aura. Don't get me wrong, it's good. But it's got a lot of hype pushing its popularity and I think there are some lesser known pedals out there that are better.

JTM's came with KT-66's [more grind] than 6L6's, bigger bottom & fuller sound. The JTM was a copy of the Bassman and the only Marshall to come with a tube rectifier, others have solid state.

FWIW I have a V-4 OCD, it's the best OD I've had in 40 years of playing, I'm sure in a couple of years a better one will come along.:thu:

• Members

Yup, I have 3 different overdrives...Digitech Screamin' Blues, Digitech Bad Monkey, and a Jekyll & Hyde...the J & H sounds MUCH more amplike than the other two...pick response is way better...

that's because the J&H is part RAT, so that side grinds better. the others are cheap TS9 variants.

• Members

Watching that demo, I would have to say that both pedals sound extremely similar, but the OCD sounded a wee bit better to me.

A 100 watt Marshall would sound way different than an 18 watt amp.:cop:

I run my OCD thru a 78' Marshall JMP 2203, I have all the gain I need while still retaining true Marshall tone.:idea:

The OCD is very dynamic, won't color your tone, and with the amp & pedal on and loud, it cleans up on high gain just by rolling back the volume on my Les Paul, it's dead quiet, usually any OD pedal I've had has lots of noise with the gain, not so w/a OCD.:thu:

• Members

Yeah, the OCD had more of a refined tone to it, IMO.

If you start the YouTube in a random spot and close your eyes, I doubt you can tell which is which. I'd bet the subtle differences can be evened out with the tone knob.

Archived