First Act 50 Watt (VA851)- Opinions?

Woody_in_MN

• Members

I sold my Roland 30 and am looking for an amp to jam with. I saw that First Act still has some 50 W SS amps on clearance for $99. I think a number of formites took advantage of the clearance on these. Some liked them, a few did not.

Any options out there for those that have one (or have had one)?

Thanks,

- W

• Members

It's alright. Reverb sucks. Delay is great, tremolo is ok.

I did not like the Boutique channel.

The others are good.

US Clean can get some nasty tweed overdrive.

UK Chime can be a little harsh with telecasters.

UK Lead is nice.

[YOUTUBE]fZwTRkaPAE8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]6nH8pz52GiY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]K2-bKWIlxa4[/YOUTUBE]

I did sell mine since it was an impulse buy and I needed to clear space in the room........

• Members

I have one, haven't used it much since it's been loaned out to a friend since December.

I'm actually getting it back tomorrow (since he's not really using it at the moment).

It'll be (for the time being) my living room amp (if I can get it clean enough, I may run my Pod X3 through it for practice purposes).

If I end up not liking it, I'll put it up for sale and get a Tech 21 Power Engine for the Pod :).

• Members

I have the 75 watter and sound-wise it's great.

The good: The sound!!! The US clean has a nice tone, the UK clean is very chimey, the UK lead has a nice marshall crunch to it - think AC/DC, and the boutique channel sounds smooth and creamy and is capable of some kickass lead tones - think gary moore and santana type lead sounds.

The delay is excellent. Honestly one of the best I've heard. The tremolo is also pretty good.

The bad: For a 1x12 SS combo, this thing is heavy!!! It also has a relatively large footprint. Because of this, it's not very convenient for gigs (it's just as easy to carry my palomino head and 2x12 cab) and it also doesn't have a lot of clean headroom. The reverb on it is useless. The delay makes up for it though.

I'd say it's a great home/garage amp, probably not the best for gigs.

SPAM ALERT!!! I'm selling mine if anyone's interested. I love the way it sounds but it has too big a footprint for my small apartment and since it's not the most convenient gigging amp, I want to replace it with a smaller and lighter 1x12 combo I can gig with. I'm selling the amp with the full-function 4 channel footswitch with effects on/off and boost switch. If anyone's interested, lemme know.

• Members

Thanks guys.

This may be getting off the subject. But my other option I am thinking about is a very used Peavey Bandit 75W SS. I may go back to look at it closer today. I looked at it yesterday, but only had about 5 minutes before the store closed. The electronics that I tested were good, and the speaker was good. It needs some TLC - the metal corners were slightly rusted, and the exterior was very dirty. They want $95 for the Bandit. But there is only reverb, and gain on it as I recall, and I think I want something with some built in modeling. On the other hand I might enjoy refurbishing the Peavey.

Trying to decide.

- w

• Members

UPDATE:

I went over to look at the Peavey Bandit 75W to see if I would fall in love with it, and I did. So I got it. The reverb is spring type, and the built in over-drive/gain is very nice dirt. It needs a cosmetic refurbish - but I actually enjoy that kind of thing.

PEAVEY_1.JPG

PEAVEY_2.JPG

But lots of good discussion about the FA 50w for those who may have questions about it.

Thanks guys.

• Members

I Have a 30 watter and it can sound pretty heavy if you put it on extreme gain(like a good SS Marshall). Reverb is just bland and its not what i would call a small amp. But for $79 hard to beat tonewise.

I hope to get some sort of interface soon to make some clips since 90% of the posters seem to be into the whole clean sound thing. Me? not so much

• Members

I have a 30 watter as well. Decided to consolidate practice amps so I ordered one to replace a couple smaller amps I have.

Overall I'm really impressed with the amp. I haven't had a chance to really play it yet, but it doesn't seem like much heavy tones are to be found on it. Modern metal tones not a chance I'd guess. Well worth the $80 or $100 + shipping for the 30 and 50 watt models if you can live without high gain tones. The 2 button foot switch is a good addition too so you can control effects bypass and the boost. Overall it seems to be on the bassy side though. Anyone else experience this? I run it with the bass way down, and the treble up fairly high.

Archived