how did you get your first guitar?

chrisebrooks06

• Members

just looking through some old family photos and saw a pic of my first ever guitar, a old encore guitar, strings sitting way off the fret board, twisted neck but i was 9 and it was the best thing in the world.

my dad got it for me off a family friend, it was basically sat in a cupboard for a few years and they were going to throw it out but dad rescued it lol.

i was happy and to find some pics many many years on is amazing ill try and post em sometime

how did you get your first guitar and is their an interesting story to go with it?

:thu:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My mother took me to a pawnshop and she picked out a 2 pickup Kent for about 40 bucks. The same place had a wicked Hondo Explorer copy that I really wanted, but mom said no even though it was the same price.

It was ok to start, once I got it in tune, It served me well until I picked up a cheap no name LP custom clone that I sold off later. Wish I still had it for sentimental reasons. An ex-friend destroyed it.

• Members

Well,

I was a junior in college. I decided I wanted that I wanted a Gibson ES 335 that cost $400 new in 1973. Only prob was no $. So I took the money my parents gave me for food and lived on (no joke) canned tuna and pineapple for three weeks. And, no, I didn't need to go on a diet. I still have the guitar, and I wish I was that thin now!

• Members

Well,

I was a junior in college. I decided I wanted that I wanted a Gibson ES 335 that cost $400 new in 1973. Only prob was no $. So I took the money my parents gave me for food and lived on (no joke) canned tuna and pineapple for three weeks. And, no, I didn't need to go on a diet. I still have the guitar, and I wish I was that thin now!

thats the kind of stories i love, thanks for sharing thank god for tuna lol :thu:

• Members

My brother gave it to me for Christmas.

He left the old Gibson in a closet at home while he was on the road with his band. I had my neighbor show me how to tune it up and play a few chords. I fell in love with playing guitar, and that guitar in particular. I think this was in the summer of 1971. When he came home for Christmas and heard me play, he made it my Christmas gift. It still is the best Christmas present I have ever recieved.:cool:

Gibson.jpg

• Members

I played my sisters guitar for a while, then I was given a Tiesco with 2 strings and an acoustic with 5 strings when I was in third grade. Then I got my first new guitar when I was 10... my mom and grandmother got it for me.

• Members

My uncle had an old Hummingbird acoustic copy that he was gonna try and learn on when he was in his thirties but I ended up playing on it more than he did so he gave it to me. I ended up giving it away to a cousin who gave it to her boyfriend after a couple of weeks once she got bored of it. The first electric I bought was a Samick strat copy I bought with money from my summer job when I was 17. I heard Jimi used thicker guage strings than the 9's on there so I changed them out for 11's. I screwed the action so bad and didn't know anything about setting up a guitar so I smashed it Pete Townsend style. Ugh.

• Members

My brother died when I was 14.
:(
When I was 16, at the urging of a friend, I started playing my brother's guitars; one asianmade junky fakocaster, and a sweet Japanese 12-string dreadnaught (that I will cherish always).

:cry:

sorry to hear that, but thanks for sharing

• Members

In 93 or 94 got interested in playing. A buddy who played took me to a pawn shop. He picked out a Kramer Pacer. I paid $130 for it (age of grunge). Turns out, it's a 1984 or 85 pacer deluxe, made in USA, original floyd. The neck was a replacement, nice, but it had issues. I put a Warmoth Kramer banana headstock birdseye maple neck on it, which cost about three times what I paid for the guitar. It's a great playing guitar, I'll never sell it.

• Members

When I decided to begin playing in 1971, I went to a local store called Zavarella's (Roy Buchanan and Danny Gatton were both patrons, but alas, the store closed about 15 years ago). I told the owner I wanted to buy a Fender Mustang. He said, "no, you don't" Instead, he talked me into renting an Epiphone acoustic, saying, "you'll pay $15 a month, and I'll credit the first six months toward any guitar in the store once you're sure you want to play." Six months later, I knew I wanted to play, so I went back to the store and told him, "I want to apply my $90 to a Fender Mustang." He said, "No, you don't: it's a piece of crap at $140. Since you took my advice the first time around, I'll sell you a brand new Tele for $185 (knocking $10 off his regular price." I gave him $95 and walked out with that Tele - white (I'm guessing Oly, though it yellowed fairly quickly) w/ a maple board . It was beautiful. Wish I still had it.

When I decided to begin playing in 1971, I went to a local store called Zavarella's (Roy Buchanan and Danny Gatton were both patrons, but alas, the store closed about 15 years ago). I told the owner I wanted to buy a Fender Mustang. He said, "no, you don't" Instead, he talked me into renting an Epiphone acoustic, saying, "you'll pay $15 a month, and I'll credit the first six months toward any guitar in the store once you're sure you want to play." Six months later, I knew I wanted to play, so I went back to the store and told him, "I want to apply my $90 to a Fender Mustang." He said, "No, you don't: it's a piece of crap at $140. Since you took my advice the first time around, I'll sell you a brand new Tele for $185 (knocking $10 off his regular price." I gave him $95 and walked out with that Tele - white (I'm guessing Oly, though it yellowed fairly quickly) w/ a maple board . It was beautiful. Wish I still had it.

That's a great story!:thu:

Back in 1964, I was sitting in my room probably doing homework. There's a knock on the door and there's my dad with a Lafayette guitar and an Ampeg tube amp. Someone at work was selling it and he bought it for me for no reason. I never got stuff for no reason so it was momentous enough to get something. My dad worked all day. We didn't really talk much. He was the breadwinner who came home to relax or work around the house. Our paths rarely crossed unless he needed an apprentice (gopher) for his jobs. I was definitely speechless about getting the gift from dad. I can safely tell you that this 11 year old had no idea where this gift was eventually going to take him.

Archived