IF Musicians Friend buys used gear...where do they sell it?

steve_man

• Members

Yeah, they have quite a few PRS SE models...but they seem to be kinda high in price. I asked them what they would give me for my Gibson LP VM...they seriously wanted to give me $350 for $1000 guitar...

...I told them to jump off a cliff...

• Members

Here it is...sure is a lot of Deans...and other kinda odd guitars so far (just looked at the first page)

MF will buy other dealer stocks. Sometimes those guitars or amps were on display and do not have the original packing materials. MF will sell some of them as used with full warranty or mark them down and sell them as scratch and dent.

I had a long talk with one of the guys at MF who really seemed to know what was going on. I had purchased a Hiwatt that went bad; MF was trying to work with me to make things right. I was transferred to a supervisor who gave me the lowdown on the blowout Hiwatts. They were purchased from a dealer in the Midwest. Some of them were two or three years old. They sorted them out and sold some as b-stocks and some as used.

• Members

Oh, and I almost forgot. MF probably sells the crappy trade ins to jobbers who then turn around and sell them on ebay. MF then cherry picks the good trade ins and posts them under the clearance center. It's likely that MF only keeps instruments and brands that they normally carry to put in their clearance center. You won't see any used Tiny Terrors or Bad Cats in their clearance center.

• Members

Yeah, they have quite a few PRS SE models...but they seem to be kinda high in price. I asked them what they would give me for my Gibson LP VM...they seriously wanted to give me $350 for $1000 guitar...

...I told them to jump off a cliff...

How much would you expect them to give for it?

If it sells new for $1000, they can probably only get $600 or so out of it used, and most places will only give you about half what they expect to get out of it.

The LP VM is tough to price also since the new prices on those tend to fluctuate a lot...

• Members

you'd have to be dumb, or going through some pretty gnarly drug withdrawal to sell your gear to a store.

This.

Stores are in business to make a profit, not to give you what you think your used gear is worth. If you want to get the most out of it, sell it yourself.

• Members

Dealers are never going to give you good deals on your gear, no matter what you paid for it. They are used to making pretty big margins on mid to high priced gear which means that they are going to be marking used gear up at least 50% from what they paid--probably it's closer to 100%.

So let's say that you have an LP Studio for which you paid $1000. They will offer you $350 for it and sell it for $700, assuming it's in good shape.

If they're not making a few hundred on the deal, it's not worth their effort to do the shipping, paperwork, take photos, and list the gear.

By the way, gear that is not in the mainstream is hard to sell, so they'll offer you even less. And if it's something that is outdated--old modeling amps, for example, or a Johnson J-Station--forget about it.

• Members

They are going to make a lot of money from desperate people in this economy.

Only if the desperate people are complete morons.

With things like craigslist, ebay, etc. there is no excuse for selling your used gear to a store. Even if you subscribe to the belief that people aren't buying now, you'll still get more selling it yourself than by selling to a store.

I just finished with my annual 'ebay the crap I don't use anymore' sale over the last couple months and sold about $8000 worth of gear, all at pretty much what you would expect it to sell for in a good economy...

Archived