Coil splitting vs. coil tapping explained

Karma1

• Members

I came across this in the Sweetwater newsletter and thought I'd pass it along. I'm sure a lot of people here know this already, but I do frequently see the two terms used interchangeably in posts. This is a good explanation of the difference:

Q: Is there a difference between coil splitting or coil tapping the pickups on a guitar?

A: Most people use the terms interchangeably. However, technically, there is a difference. With guitar pickups, "coil splitting" refers to breaking the connection between the two coils in a humbucking pickup so that one is disabled and the remaining one functions as a single-coil pickup.

"Coil tapping," on the other hand, refers to taking the signal from a location within a single-coil pickup's coil of wire, rather than at the end of the coil. This is done to reduce the output of the pickup; the more turns of wire the coil has, the higher its output. By tapping the coil somewhere in the middle, the output is reduced. This feature is commonly found on higher-output single-coil pickups such as Seymour Duncan's Quarter Pounders, which can be tapped to produce an output more similar to a vintage Fender single-coil. Coil tapping could also be used to tap off the signal from a humbucking pickup from somewhere within one of the coils, though this is much less commonly done.

• Members
so when you coil tap you arent really getting a single coil sound? this is important to me because i am planning on getting a humbucker in my strat and i want to have a way to go back to the dynamics of a single coil.

no problem since there are so very few HBs that are tappable. I have a set of the only ones I am aware of. Joe Barden TwoTones.

• Members
I came across this in the Sweetwater newsletter and thought I'd pass it along. I'm sure a lot of people here know this already, but I do frequently see the two terms used interchangeably in posts. This is a good explanation of the difference:

Q: Is there a difference between coil splitting or coil tapping the pickups on a guitar?

A: Most people use the terms interchangeably. However, technically, there is a difference. With guitar pickups, "coil splitting" refers to breaking the connection between the two coils in a humbucking pickup so that one is disabled and the remaining one functions as a single-coil pickup.

"Coil tapping," on the other hand, refers to taking the signal from a location within a single-coil pickup's coil of wire, rather than at the end of the coil. This is done to reduce the output of the pickup; the more turns of wire the coil has, the higher its output. By tapping the coil somewhere in the middle, the output is reduced. This feature is commonly found on higher-output single-coil pickups such as Seymour Duncan's Quarter Pounders, which can be tapped to produce an output more similar to a vintage Fender single-coil. Coil tapping could also be used to tap off the signal from a humbucking pickup from somewhere within one of the coils, though this is much less commonly done.

goor call, but as many times as it has been clearly explained here, I doubt if it will help.:wave:

• Members

That's a good explanation, but it has been explained ad nausea over the years I've been here and it's amazing how many people still use these terms incorrectly.

Without mentioning names, there is one reasonably high profile builder/brand guy who hangs out here who, even though I've tried to explain it to him, still runs ads in places like Vintage Guitar with ad copy using these terms incorrectly. Great way to turn off potential customers.

• Members
That's a good explanation, but it has been explained ad nausea over the years I've been here and it's amazing how many people still use these terms incorrectly.

Without mentioning names, there is one reasonably high profile builder/brand guy who hangs out here who, even though I've tried to explain it to him, still runs ads in places like Vintage Guitar with ad copy using these terms incorrectly. Great way to turn off potential customers.

Yep, I've seen it used incorrectly by manufacturers as well. I'm blaming Leo Fender for starting the fad of using incorrect terms!:thu:

• Members

Yep, I've seen it used incorrectly by manufacturers as well. I'm blaming Leo Fender for starting the fad of using incorrect terms!
:thu:

I dunno - in Leo's case this stuff was all new and not "codified" the way it is today. I'd argue there's no excuse for today's builders as we're 60 years along and there really hasn't been much of anything new [digital aside] since Seth Lover invented the humbucker back in the 50's.

Archived