First Signature Guitar ever. when?

pureanalog

• Members

Rickenbacker Ken Roberts model circa 1936. Predates the Les Paul by a long, long time. Not sure if this is the first signature model, but it is an early one.

kenrfront.jpg

That beats the LP. Never saw that one before. Cool. That is a funky looking vibrato to be sure.

EG

• Members

discounting anything prehistoric, the malmsteen strat came out in the mid 80s; that's the 1st one i can think of

YJM's strat along with EC's were released in 88, but I believe they had been trying to make a Jeff beck model for longer than that. Also, there was the 1980 Hendrix Tribute strat, of which only 25 were made.

http://www.stratcollector.com/scn/models/hendrixproto.html

• Members

Ok to sum things up.

I am talking about electric guitars only.

The Les Paul might literally be a sig guitar, but not in today's sense. I am talking about the signature guitars that are kind of like an endorsement deal, where a famous player gives the rights of his name to a company to build a guitar that supposedly fits their needs and adjusted to the player's specs. Usually limited runs too.

• Members

First endorsed electric "artist" guitars . . .

Then, in the early 1960s, California guitar manufacturer Mosrite designed and marketed a uniquely styled, futuristic-looking electric guitar called "The Ventures Model." The band adopted these guitars (which included a bass model) and first used them on The Ventures in Space (1963), one of their most influential albums because of the unique, unworldly guitar sounds it contained. From 1963 through 1968, a statement on their album covers announced that The Ventures used Mosrite guitars "exclusively" (The Ventures and designer Semie Moseley were partners in the distribution of these instruments).

• Members

Ok to sum things up.

I am talking about electric guitars only.

The Les Paul might literally be a sig guitar, but not in today's sense. I am talking about the signature guitars that are kind of like an endorsement deal, where a famous player gives the rights of his name to a company to build a guitar that supposedly fits their needs and adjusted to the player's specs. Usually limited runs too.

But the LP is a sig guitar in today's sense. It was the result of an endorsement deal and resulted in a guitar designed round Les's specs, even down to the original colours (GT and black custom)

It's only been in more recent years you've had other artists hava a sig LP of their own, but this would be like a cc deville Jem

• Members

But the LP
is
a sig guitar in today's sense. It was the result of an endorsement deal and resulted in a guitar designed round Les's specs, even down to the original colours (GT and black custom)

It's only been in more recent years you've had other artists hava a sig LP of their own, but this would be like a cc deville Jem

I'd have to agree with you, it was designed by and then endorsed by Les Paul himself.

But that Ric is kind of interesting.

• Members

Rickenbacker Ken Roberts model circa 1936. Predates the Les Paul by a long, long time. Not sure if this is the first signature model, but it is an early one.

kenrfront.jpg

Yeah, the answer to the obsure "first ever" electric guitar questions is almost always the Ric.

• Members

Sorry but it wasn't designed by Les Paul at all. The only thing he designed was the weird trapeze bridge that was quickly replaced by the wraparound one.

The real LP designers are McCarthy and his team.

You are aware of the Les Paul "LOG" right? Les had been trying to perfect the solid body idea for quite some time. I' think I'd give him credit for more than just a bridge.

• Members

You are aware of the Les Paul "LOG" right? Les had been trying to perfect the solid body idea for quite some time. I' think I'd give him credit for more than just a bridge.

Man, the Log was closer to a ES-335 than a Les Paul model. And at Gibson they didn't even listened to him back in the days. Lester wasn't around when McCarthy and his team decided to build the first Gibson solidbody and they didn't used Lester's ideas. It's only once the guitar was made that they look around to see which famous guitar player could endorse it, and Les was the man.

You can give Lester credit for a lot of wonderfull inventions, including the multitrack and the tape echo, but not the Les Paul.

Archived