First Signature Guitar ever. when?

pureanalog

• Members

Lester wasn't around when McCarthy and his team decided to build the first Gibson solidbody and they didn't used Lester's ideas. It's only once the guitar was made that they look around to see which famous guitar player could endorse it, and Les was the man.

+1

The only things Les contributed to the model was requesting the trapeze tailpiece (he didn't design it, it was common on Gibson archtops) and the Goldtop finish. Both ideas proved to be miserable failures; the trapeze tailpiece was crap and the people thought the Goldtop was considered "too flashy" -- people actually asked for the switch to the sunburst finish which was considered much more "traditional" and "toned down" at the time. Either way, the LP got off to a slow start and never really caught on in the '50's.

• Members

Well I suppose I'll have to acknowledge convincing arguments from Wyatt and Minnie. So are we saying that Les essentially did not design one thing in his "signature model"? Wow! Next thing you'll tell me milli vanilli didn't sing. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

well so I gues the first modern sig guitar would be the E.C. strat.

How about amps? Was it the marshall Slash model? Or were ther sig. amps way before 1996?

Oh yes. The first one that comes to mind is the Vox SuperBeatle. Designed by the beatles of course.

• Members

well guys, nobody told me yet. What are the Jimmy Page Les Paul and the slash les paul etc? Double signature guitars? They still have the Les Paul signature on them. So that kind of tells me that the Les Paul signature is the brand of guitar (which he supposedly developed) rather than a signature guitar in the usual context the words "signature guitar" are meant.

Archived