Do you own a Fender Highway One???

Delboybruce

• Members

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm thinking of selling my Highway One Strat as I'm moving back to the UK (instead of shipping it)

I keep getting told by "experts" that they are really inferior to the USA and Mexican stuff. Yes, its not got the bells and whistles of the USA, BUT I've always liked it and think its a pretty cool guitar.

The Grease Bucket technology circuits seem a little rawer then the Std, which I like.

Whats your thoughts on it???? Even Setup out the box wasn't bad.

All in, I think its much under rated and overlooked

I guess the Classic Players are closely priced, and maybe better??? Dunno

Defo worth a look!!!

• Members

I seriously love mine. It's the perfect strat for me. Great player, great looker, and great tone. The pickups are more modern than most strat pups, and I like that since I usually play with distortion. If you want more of a classic vintage strat tone, all you need to do is swap the pickups out. I don't think I'll ever sell mine.

013.jpg

• Members

Got two (older Strat model, new Tele model) which you can pry from my dead cold hands. Basically they have a slightly more vintage vibe than the American standards. I don't mind either, but it just so happens that Americans series/standards have never been in my price range, while I got my Tele for cheaper than a second hand MIM. Both are very good instruments, simply put.

• Members

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm thinking of selling my Highway One Strat as I'm moving back to the UK (instead of shipping it)

I keep getting told by "experts" that they are really inferior to the USA and Mexican stuff. Yes, its not got the bells and whistles of the USA, BUT I've always liked it and think its a pretty cool guitar.

The Grease Bucket technology circuits seem a little rawer then the Std, which I like.

Whats your thoughts on it???? Even Setup out the box wasn't bad.

All in, I think its much under rated and overlooked

I guess the Classic Players are closely priced, and maybe better??? Dunno

Defo worth a look!!!

Tell the experts that I said they're a bunch of morons.

Highway One Fenders are some pretty damn good instruments. I can't think of any ways in which they're inferior unless you're some corksniffing snob that thinks that only Pre-CBS Strats are worth anything.

• Members

Here are mines:

DSCF0088.jpg

DSCF0089.jpg

DSCF0090.jpg

DSCF0091.jpg

Strat has a HSS pickguard with a BK Crawler, and I had to use the pup ring as though the guitar is routed for a humbucker, the route isn't deep enough for mounting screws... silly, but ah well. Single coils are SDs. The saddles were replaced as the older models didn't go high enough for my tastes. This guitar stays in tune after an incredible amount of abuse, for days on. The vibrato's tightened down to the body and has 5 springs, I don't use it. Electronics are volume bridge/volume neck + middle/tone neck + middle.

Telecaster is a newer H1 model, with a new scratchplate, black straplocks, Bareknuckle Piledriver in the bridge and a 4 way switch. That Tele is MEAN sounding. Very raw, will destroy you. I get more tones out of the one Telecaster using picking techniques and the knobs than out of all my other axes combined.

• Members

You can look at each little detail on paper and say that one model is better than another, but when I bought mine I played several strats back to back and the H1 had a particular feel to it that blew the others away. There's something in the resonance of it, plus the satin finish, plus the neck...it sounded and felt more alive unplugged than any other I tried that day. It's a raw, bare bones player and I love it.

That said, I had many ups and downs with the pickups. I modded the hell out of it for a while and finally settled into a nice vintage set. Now that I have the right pickups I can't find a single thing to complain about. It's a great guitar.

StratMintWhite.jpg

I say keep your H1. If you sell it you won't get what it's worth. If you decide later that you want another it'll likely cost a hell of a lot more than you paid before the price hikes.

• Members

I got a job after my sophomore year in high school, to save up to buy a guitar.

I went down to a local pawn shop, looked around for a few hours, and kept coming back to one of the older highway ones.

I still haven't played/owned a guitar that was as good as my strat, and it gets compliments on its tone and playability all the time.

• Members

DSC00814.jpg

This is a crappy picture of my '06 tele, I enjoyed it stock but decided to put a GFS lil' puncher in it. As far as build quality I think it is an extremely solid guitar, and with the lil' puncher it is my number 1 player. It almost always stays in tune, and look cool to me!

• Members

I owned one and loved every bit of it (only sold it because I needed to pay my tuition for University). Personally I don't care for any other musicians opinion on the gear I own especially if its a piece I particularly love. If you really do enjoy your H1 then keep it. If you want to swap out some parts to get it closer to American spec as far as hardware goes be my guess but don't ever think its inferior to other guitars if it does what you want for you and you enjoy it.

• Members

Never owned one but have played a few. Thought they were pretty nice overall.

The thin finish is hype though, there's a nice thick poly coat under that thin finish. I don't think that makes the guitar worse in anyway. Cool guitars.

I know that this is fundamentally untrue from getting a good, close look at a beat-up '07 Highway One Tele.

Very shallow scratches went straight to bare wood, especially on the corners. There is no Poly on these guitars. You must have inspected one from before they changed to the thin "satin" finish.

• Members

Played one in a shop once. Didn't like it.

I do however recognise that this is my personal choice, no fault of the guitar i guess.

From all accounts, if you get one that you "bond" with, they are diamond - a change of pickups, add and a few years of natural wear, and you have a decent player.

If I "needed" (read "could afford") a fender strat, I would definately play as many of them as i could find to find the one that was good for me.

• Members

Love my hwy 1 strat too. I prefer the small headstocked older ones to the newer one.

AC30CC.jpg

Can't help it but say: nice guitar ;)

That finish is beautiful too! Mine's a 4 pieces body, badly matched. Would get the purists reach for their chainsaw. Sounds as good as any though and the finish helps a lot with the looks! I always wanted a transparent blue guitar.

• Members

Can't help it but say: nice guitar
;)
That finish is beautiful too! Mine's a 4 pieces body, badly matched. Would get the purists reach for their chainsaw. Sounds as good as any though and the finish helps a lot with the looks! I always wanted a transparent blue guitar.

:D

I think mine is 3 piece and somewhat matched decently. I agree.....sounds good.

I swapped out the saddles because I hate those cheap vintage ones.....I also have Texas Specials in the neck and middle......with a EJ Custom Dimarzio in the bridge. I'm completely happy with it.....I'll never need another strat. ever.

Now I just need to find a Tele I'm happy with.....:(

• Members

:D

I think mine is 3 piece and somewhat matched decently. I agree.....sounds good.

I swapped out the saddles because I hate those cheap vintage ones.....I also have Texas Specials in the neck and middle......with a EJ Custom Dimarzio in the bridge. I'm completely happy with it.....I'll never need another strat. ever.

Now I just need to find a Tele I'm happy with.....
:(

If my Tele is more than one piece, I'll be damned if I can see the joins. :thu:

I left the saddles on mine alone because you will pretty much never convince me that replacing three steel saddles with three brass ones will do anything to improve my tone. Still playing through the stock pickups for now. I feel like I need to get more friendly with it as it is before I bother with customizations.

Archived