do you have a piece of music you're happy with?

mistersully

• Members
Yes, some of the things i do are complete rubbish.. but some i really do like i dont tend to write per say.. just kinda get a rough idea and go from there its more like painting or something for me.. and i really like jumping from style to style.. i have only been at this a short while but with new technology it makes composing and getting ideas down really easy... and not work on somthing for more then a few days..
;)
you can take a click at my sound page.. im not sure what would be the one im most happy with.. its not about that for me... even the really rough and scabby ones taught me something.. i guess "It was just some bad dreams Sunshine" was a solid effort though

at least thats how i approach things,

listened to a few things... i like your experimental style... a lot....and some cool tones... eg the 70s one... definately stuff there worth developing

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

here's a couple of mine..realy,REALY rough and unfinished:facepalm:...i forgot the last verse on the first song while recprded,and my timing is horrible...but you get the jist...

they are what they are,for now...i've only been playing for a year as of now,and i'm self taught so far...

Damon

dude you should get a band together... i can hear both those songs with you being backed up by drums ..bass.. and electric guitar... your voice has a really good tone

• Members

I dunno, maybe my standards are too low. I just write 'em, record 'em, and move on. I'm happy with anything that gets to tape (or "disk" or "drive" or whatever).

Latest, on a comp for a local homeless charity:

I did everything but the drums and one backing vocal; including writing, singing, all guitars, and bass. Almost no overdubs. Done in one evening including mixdown.

love it!... attitude... reminded me of a punk rolling stones or something... i especially dug the lead line in the background

• Members
:cool:
the bass playing and sound was great

Thanks, I really appreciate that! You are the first person to compliment my bass playing! I do focus on it a great deal, trying to ensure that it is aligned with the drum parts. I also try to get a bass sound that is appropriate for the given song.

• Members
love it!... attitude... reminded me of a punk rolling stones or something... i especially dug the lead line in the background

thanks bud...i've been trying to get a band together...but here in the sticks of north central kansas musicians are far and few between,and reliable musicians are almost unheard of...it will happen though...:thu:

Damon

• Members
thanks bud...i've been trying to get a band together...but here in the sticks of north central kansas musicians are far and few between,and reliable musicians are almost unheard of...it will happen though...
:thu:

Damon

I can relate to that! I live in rural Virginia and it is tough to find compatible musicians. The only plus, is that it has forced me to resort to home recording.

• Members

I can relate to that! I live in rural Virginia and it is tough to find compatible musicians. The only plus, is that it has forced me to resort to home recording.

it's definately pushed me to learn more on my own...one of the big problems around here is that everyone wants to be metallica or skipknot...i'm a Cross Canadian Ragweed/Lynyrd Skynyrd typ o' guy...

Damon

• Members

I'd be happier with mine if I didn't have to squash from 32 bit to 16 and then again to MP3 to upload.. They sound little like what I hear out of my DAW by then:facepalm:

That kills me as well! I am constantly having to readjust my settings in order to get a sound from the file (in my case M4a) that is close to the sound I get in Logic...I have found that adding a bit more harmonics to the audio exciter and a bit more gain (both in the overall mix) helps get it reasonable close.

• Members

This song was recorded three different times with big huge guitars and drums. I was going for that roaring Crazy Horse/Wilco sound and just wasn't happy with anything I got.

A little while back I was messing with a one mic and a Taylor acoustic I got in trade from another forum member, and totally nailed it in the first take.

Apparently I don't know how to post audio on a web forum, but I'll link to it when I figure it out.

• Members

I haven't actually written a song in ages. It seems like I was much more creative in that way when I started playing again (30 year hiatus) six years ago. Since then it seems that all I do is work on my game or learn old classics. Being the only player in a newly formed band with no professional experience, I'm just concentrating on the tricks of the trade, no time for songwriting presently. I do have two songs that I am rather proud of though, total extremes, one a vulgar spoof, the other a jazzy instrumental. Someday when I find the time, I plan to put something original in my sig.

PS Not to be rude but this computer is old and worthless and formats that require a download just do not work. So Diceman was the only thing I was able to listen to (and watch). Really impressed with your ability sir for how long you've been playing - your strumming is great.:thu:

• Members

Mistersully is such a gent and incredibly generous. It's good to take some interest in other people's music - I think we should have more threads like this.

Anyway, my songs are in my signature there. I'm trying to use them to raise money, but of course they need a lot of work. I suppose I am (at the moment) most proud of:

'Under Blue Skies'
'Midnight Garden' - vocals on chorus need redoing big time
'Treacherous'

• Members

I have a similar problem. I have a lot of good stuff going (in my own opinion of course) that's 40-80% there, but it's missing a few elements and/or needs some tweaking. Some is recently created, and some others have been shelved for months, or even years for a few. It's funny to come across this because over the weekend I started to listen to my work-in-progess material on my mp3 player to see if I have any new ideas on how to finish a few of them. Right now my goal is to complete at least three of them before May. I'd love to have more 'completes' to show people, and, honestly, I'm tired of dickering around with a lot of this stuff that I can't seem to finish.

This is me for the most part.

I typically get most of a song down on guitar then work up a bass line.

then it never seems to go any further. The drums are pretty basic beats and my recording skillz are terrible. So there they sit.

• Members

I do focus on it a great deal, trying to ensure that it is aligned with the drum parts. I also try to get a bass sound that is appropriate for the given song.

how do you record bass?... i notice you use logic (as do i)... the first track reminded me of a setting in logic called 'american stack scooped'

• Members

I have often arranged pieces (like an instrumental fingerstyle guitar version of a known song ) but i have never really composed anything that i could call completely my own. I hope I'm young enough to see the day when i will do someting like that. It's one of those things like drawing where one always think he can't do it until he tries... and realise it's feasible.

let me know if you ever want to do an original collaboration

• Members

I'd play the full resolution version of the track 'espionage' which is

at my aliensporebomb myspace page.

The low res version is kind of squashed and the piano/strings interlude

in the second part sounds like it's coming off of an am radio in the low-res

version there.

The hi-res sounds pretty damn good to my ears. Not a lot of freaky

soloing, there was no room when I had a 16 track guitar choir going

with a stereo rhythm guitar track doubled by six string bass and then

drums with synths.

• Members

Oh my goodness, thanks Sully. I'm a big Stones fan and trying to do the old school punk rock thing too, so that's a wonderful comment for you to have made. You'd never know it, but there's 4 guitars on there. Two rhythm (Ric 620 and a Les Paul Classic), the high Chuck Berry doublestop lead you referred to (Hamer Special w/P-90's), and a guitar doubling the bassline (sorta CCR-inspired, as in "Down On the Corner;" a Fender '52 RI Tele).

• Members
Sully - I think you are being too self effacing... so post your stuff up again!

i've got so many songs in the works right now it's ridiculous... the most recent one i'm going to get finished and post here... taking some time as i've got a completely new recording setup.. fun though

i'm pretty snowed under with work too (i'm only on here having my morning coffee)... today i'm mixing a song where i've recorded over 70 tracks.... including things like making percussion from where i mic'ed up a guy tapping his feet... it's a SLOW process :)

probably be a couple of weeks before i get back to my own stuff

• Members

how do you record bass?... i notice you use logic (as do i)... the first track reminded me of a setting in logic called 'american stack scooped'

Good ear! You are close! I use the "Dub Bass" setting with a tad more gain, a touch of chorus, and a bit more highs. It sounds close to the American Stack Scooped, with just a bit more bottom. I run the bass into my mac through a mackie onyx 400f which is very transparent and does not color the tone too much.

• Members
i've got so many songs in the works right now it's ridiculous... the most recent one i'm going to get finished and post here... taking some time as i've got a completely new recording setup.. fun though

i'm pretty snowed under with work too (i'm only on here having my morning coffee)... today i'm mixing a song where i've recorded over 70 tracks.... including things like making percussion from where i mic'ed up a guy tapping his feet... it's a SLOW process
:)

probably be a couple of weeks before i get back to my own stuff

You've been very generous to give us all a listen here. I would love to hear your work.:thu:

Archived