If you could only have one of these guitars,which one would you choose?

KATMAN

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Les Paul, but well-chambered with p90's and a maple neck & top (Don't judge me!).

There's something about a Les Paul that makes it feel more powerful than any other guitar I've played.

Maybe it's due to its' shape are thickness/whatever, but overall it just has the most satisfying 'grunt' which means less effort for the player and more enjoyment.:cool:

A Strat has that grunt too somehow, but not quite as much.

• Members

I voted strat I have come to love single coil guitarts especially strats I can get so many different sounds with my squier strat.

I can almost agree with you,I have a MIM Strat,but my Squier Tele is a real joy to play. I can get lots of different sounds out of the Tele as well.

• Members

My choice always for 1 guitar job is a superstrat HSS considering that it's not there it'll have to be a strat with it's limp bridge single coil. Nothing else has a trem unless you go for one of the non traditional versions. Whereas I absolutely detest the weird floppy string tension of 24.75 - I have to go to 11's or 12's in standard tuning on my g400 for a similar feel to my other guitars strung with 10-52 and gibson neck profiles are pretty awkward feeling for me.

• Members

I didn't even notice the SG listed. I saw Fender and Gibson. Fender took that one, no second thought. From there it was Tele or Strat. I absolutely love Teles, but I always go back to the Strat for feel and comfort. A Strat with a Tele headstock would be my ultimate guitar.

• Members

I own all but the SG. Played Strats for 30 years, love 'em for the Hendrix-SRV tones. Purchased a Paul in '06. I'm a big British Blues freak and I finally can cop those fat , expressive tones. Whenever I'm recording at home or on friend's projects, my Tele always seems to come up with the goods. Always lies in the track great and inspires me to come up with cool parts. When all else fails, I turn to my Tele. I'd love an SG for one reason only: Crossroads from Wheels of Fire. It still makes the hair on my arms stand up! By the way, I voted Les Paul. Clapton's tone on Bluesbreakers remains my all time favorite.

• Members

I actually prefer the scale of a Gibson guitar but if I could only have one of those guitars it would be the strat. It is the one I reach for if I am going somewhere and only want to bring one guitar. That being said you left plenty of room to include clones of these guitars and the Fender guitars probably have more cheap and decent clones than do the Gibsons.

• Members

Ive been listening to a lot of clean tones on you tube the last few days.the best clean tone I have heard was from a 95 59 LP reissue. so for me it would be a Les Paul if I could find one that sounded that good. as a matter of fact it sounded like Mark Knopfler's LP.

• Members

I was in the market for the best solid bodied electric I could find about 18 months ago. I tried all of the above (although obviously not every example of all of 'em :p) and then I tried an Ibanez Prestige RG2550z*. It's just my opinion admittedly but it blew the socks off all of those mentioned - so that's what I bought. If I had to choose one of the aforementioned it'd be the LP but I'm sticking with what I have, thanks!

* I'm not a metalhead or a shredder and I know the RG is supposedly aimed at that market but man, it can do so much more than that.

Archived