Web Sites that AUTOMATICALLY play audio/video.

deanmass

• Members

Me, too. I hate it. I can't help but feel it's rude. And if I think that's going to happen, I'll often put off going to that site -- since I'm so often already listening to music -- and the last thing I want is some cacophonous mashup of some death metal or auto-tune diva with the bluegrass or jazz or string quartet I was alread listening to.

• Members

I think it's fine if you're visiting a band's myspace (listening to some music is usually the point of going there). General webpages should be quick loading so you can choose what you wish to check out.

• Members

man, you ain't kiddin', dean. I HATE this. back in the mid-1990's when web design was being born, it was proclaimed then that websites which auto-started a MIDI file (Scott Joplin's "The Entertainer", anybody? ) on-Load were beneath contempt. I still feel this way.

Have you, like me, been idly surfing around, all alone, late, late at night, only to have some young girl in a Val-voice suddenly bark out at you, splitting the night, saying, KUNGRADULASHINS! YOU'VE JUST WON A NINTENDO Wii.... yadda-yadda..

...and it scares the living {censored} out of you, 'cause you weren't expecting it? :eek::eek::eek: man, I wanna slug that bitch when she comes on! :mad:

• Members

I think it's fine if you're visiting a band's myspace (listening to some music is usually the point of going there). General webpages should be quick loading so you can choose what you wish to check out.

Even in this situation I find it rather presumptuous and irksome. :mad: Fer Chrissake, let me punch the feggin' button, please???:rolleyes:

• Members

This is absolutely my number 1 pet hate on the web!

The number 1 reason I hate Myspace.

I can just barely accept Youtube because it takes a

while for the video to start and gives me time to hit

the pause/stop button....but really that's still extremely annoying.

I have zero respect for people who do it,

and less for people who condone it.

It drives me freakin crazy!!!

:freak:.....:eek:.....:freak:.....:eek:.....:freak:.....:eek:.....:freak:

• Members

Beyond horrendous: you go to myspace to check out an artist's music and... wait a minute... this sounds really strange... I didn't think these guys were into avant-garde-cutup-collage-trainwreck stuff... oh. Some "Friend" posted a comment with an autostart clip that's now playing on top of the artist's song. Nice. Yeah, I'll be sure to visit your page, "Friend". :mad:

• Members

No .. it's never OK.

It sucks and should be stamped out!

• Members

Jeez...I thought I was the only one...!

The front page of HC has that guy with the guitar saying 'HEY! Hows' it going!....bla bla bla..."

It makes me want to go to his house and stick my head in while he is recording and say the same thing as loudly as possible...

• Members

I've tried to stop my player at MYSPACE from doing this but It still plays as soon as the page opens. I have it set to OFF but it still plays.

sometimes two songs will play at once and oh wow what a clusterfork.

SO I see what you all is saying.

I've written complaints to MYSPACE but no response and as much as I've tried to make it stop, it still plays as soon as the page opens.

I don't know why.

• Members

No .. it's never OK.

It sucks and should be stamped out!

I just assume that a MySpace page is going to burst into song. Ditto for YouTube pages... which I find equally irritating. I've probably had to click off at least 2 out of 3 YT plays that have ever started on my machine -- if not more... everytime you do anything, it's reloading the vid page and starting it up... I always sort of figured it was their way of generating bigger numbers.

• Members

Because of Dean's post, I went to check my site to make sure that my MP3 player was turned off. It was...sort of. It wasn't working! Thanks to Dean, I got my MP3 player working again. And yes, it doesn't begin playing when the page is loaded because I care. I wouldn't have done it in 1987 (I couldn't...I didn't own a computer!), and I won't do it now.

Keeping the internet a little less jarring,

-Ken

• Members

It's that whole you did it because you could syndrome. I was gonna have this web page where I had taken an iframe inside an iframe and managed to create that infinite mirror effect, ya know? I also thought about having a page with an iframe of that page within the page. I figured all these ideas were gonna crash the internet, or my computer, so I went back to writing bad haiku. Less chance for incident, dig?

Archived