Getting rid of white streaks on rosewood?

Anonymous Guy

• Members

There's lots of white indented grain streaks all over the rosewood fretboard of my guitar. At first, I thought it was just dry so I oiled it with lemon oil to no success.

Here's what it looks like:

dscn1231r.jpg

I've heard about people staining their fretboards with shoe polish, but is that a permanent solution? Would it rub off during play/when I apply lemon oil to the fretboard?

• Members

Is it an ESP? I know they put an extra coat of polish on the guitars in the US before they go out (especially on the Korean-made LTDs). Sometimes the polishing compound leaves a white residue.. If this is what you have, it will work out over time.. Just play it alot, you'll see, it'll disappear..

• Members

It could be polishing compound, as already mentioned, just as well as it could be dead skin from your hand. If it bugs you, use an old toothbrush on it. It's not a guarantee, but I change toothbrushes every 2-4 weeks and I save the old ones for various uses. I've used them to clean fretboards before, particularly along the edges of frets. They also make great applicators for bacon grease.

Archived