How do I get rid of pick scratches?

Utero

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by BlueStrat

Unless, of course, he doesn't really want his guitar to look like {censored}.

Sounds pretty anal to me. Pick swirls? Not exactly the same as gouges. Unfortunately if you have a guitar and play it it will not stay forever pristine. I have an '04 Les Paul Deluxe. I never even considered normal play wear something to be concerned with. Now when I bumped it against my desk and put a 1/16" deep ding in the side that hurt. So either play it or put it in the case and take it out once in a while to look at how pretty it is. Of course he could always install the pickguard.

• Members

What I find is that the more afraid I am of cosmetic wear the less aggressive I am in my playing. Now for some people, laying back and being super controlled while playing might be fun, but not for me. So, the way I see it is either;

1. dont worry about it its gonna happen, its just wear, as long as it sounds good its serving its perpose

2. polish and buff it after every use or hour whichever comes first

• Members
Originally posted by BlueStrat

I guess you don't really mind when you get a new car and someone bashes a door into the side of it, then?

Why does {censored} like this always have to be either-or? Why can't a guy take care of his guitar without being accused of being a {censored} about it?

If you want to run a {censored}ing cheese grater over yours, no one is stopping you. Why do you have to fling {censored} at a guy who doesn't think the same way you do?f

How are pick swirls equal to having the side of your car door bashed in???:freak: The simple fact is that if you are going to drive a car on the street then rock chips on the hood and other assorted bumps and bruises are going to happen whether you want them to or not. If the headstock had gotten broken off or a big chunk of wood gouged out of the body then yeah I could see the concern, but pick swirls?? Big deal! I would be willing to bet Pages#1 has more than a couple of pick swirls in it, but you don't hear him crying about it. Look at how SRV's #1 Strat looked, but it didn't seem to bother him!

• Members

Originally posted by Iceman8.6

How are pick swirls equal to having the side of your car door bashed in???
:freak:
The simple fact is that if you are going to drive a car on the street then rock chips on the hood and other assorted bumps and bruises are going to happen whether you want them to or not. If the headstock had gotten broken off or a big chunk of wood gouged out of the body then yeah I could see the concern, but pick swirls?? Big deal! I would be willing to bet Pages#1 has more than a couple of pick swirls in it, but you don't hear him crying about it. Look at how SRV's #1 Strat looked, but it didn't seem to bother him!

The post I was responding to said scratches, not swirls, as in

Originally posted by Tonemeister69

I think you should stop playing all together, You wouldn't want scratches on your precious guitar now...

Big difference. Maybe you should read the thread before piping up.

And besides, that isn't the point anyway. The original poster doesn't like it and wants to know how to fix it. And some of the self-appointed rockstars here saw fit to mock him for it. It's classless and uncalled for. I already said, I'm the play-em-and-beat-em-up type, but if someone else isn't, that's no reason to ridicule him. People just need to grow the {censored} up.

• Members

Originally posted by sitamoia50

threads like these drive me nuts.I mean think about it.A guitar player is worried about pick swirls on his guitar.It's kinda like a person driving they're car and worrying about putting wear on the tires.PLAY THE DAMN THING!.Another of my pet peeves is the person who buys a guitar and all they're worried and obsessed about is the re-sale value.JUST PLAY THE DAMN THING!....i know theres different situations and such,people who buy and sell for a living or collectors,but i'm just talkin' bout the average Joe Blow guitarist.JUST PLAY THE DAMN THING!,DON"T WORRY SO MUCH and practice the crap out of the thing.........There I feel better now.

Paxil%20road.jpg

Unlike some people, I would like to keep my guitar looking nice. If you like the worn in look,go ahead wear it in. You don't see me throwing a damn fit telling you to clean it. I am 14 years old, so I can't get a steady job to pay for my gear. My mom bought me this guitar because I gave up christmas and my birthday for it. If I show her a {censored}ed up guitar that hasn't been taken care she might never get me a piece of gear again! This tread can provide help for others too so excuse the hell out me for asking a simple damn question. For all those who have been helpful THANK YOU.

• Members

Originally posted by Utero

Paxil%20road.jpg

Unlike some people, I would like to keep my guitar looking nice. If you like the worn in look,go ahead wear it in. You don't see me throwing a damn fit telling you to clean it. I am 14 years old, so I can't get a steady job to pay for my gear. My mom bought me this guitar because I gave up christmas and my birthday for it. If I show her a {censored}ed up guitar that hasn't been taken care she might never get me a piece of gear again! This tread can provide help for others too so excuse the hell out me for asking a simple damn question. For all those who have been helpful THANK YOU.

Well said dude! :)

I would first try the microfibre cloth. That should get most of the "scratches" off - you'll probably find they are not actually scratches, but just marks where some of the pick material gets rubbed off onto the finish.

If you actually have scratches in the finish then use the polish to get them out.

You could also get a pickguard if you are really concerned about this.

• Members

Paxil%20road.jpg

I take good care of my guitars too. I polish them every now and then, clean the frets and change the strings. There's nothing wrong with wanting to keep them looking nice. If the original poster wants to keep his LP looking sharp then he's part of the majority. There will be some wear with time though if you play your guitars. I feel for him the first time his guitar bumps something hard or sharp. I still hate looking at dings that are on my guitars from 10 years ago.

• Members

threads like these drive me nuts.I mean think about it.A guitar player is worried about pick swirls on his guitar.It's kinda like a person driving they're car and worrying about putting wear on the tires.PLAY THE DAMN THING!.Another of my pet peeves is the person who buys a guitar and all they're worried and obsessed about is the re-sale value.JUST PLAY THE DAMN THING!....i know theres different situations and such,people who buy and sell for a living or collectors,but i'm just talkin' bout the average Joe Blow guitarist.JUST PLAY THE DAMN THING!,DON"T WORRY SO MUCH and practice the crap out of the thing.........There I feel better now.

O.K. people I get the point.I guess I was a little blunt with the lad.O.K. if you dont want any pick scratches or swirls....pickup the guitar VERY lightly,put a towel or cloth on your lap,play in a wide open area,make sure ther'e nothing within a 10 ft. radius in all directions,lightly tape a piece of cloth around the whole area exposed (around the pickguard that is).Use the lightest picks you can possibly find.Gently strum at all times (never forcefully play powerchords) and if possibly just use it for rythym,I suggest you dont play fast blistering staccato leads(more pick movement,possibly,accidently scratching or scraping the surface,Oh GOD NO!),and have fun if possible playing that way!!!!!!!!....Oh and I suggest using 2 cases.Put it in a softshell case then put the softshell case inside a hardshell case!...IMPORTANT: do remember that pick scratches,dings,dongs,dints,dents etc. Do not affect the sound of the guitar!

• Members

"pick scratches" aren't always due to the pick but also the fingernails.

nitro is a fragile finish and the best thing to preserve it is to not play your guitar. and if pick scratches are freaking you out, you should also put a towel where your arm rest on the top. that will eventually wear out if you play regularly. and if your wondering why some vintage guitars are in perfect mint condition, that's because they are rarely played at all. nostly found under the bed not played for decades.

• Members

I'm one of the "take good care of your guitars, but play them like they are meant to be played" folks.

Yes, I clean and wax mine as necessary. I also make sure that I don't wear clothes that will scratch or dent them. I keep them in their cases when not in use, although I would rather have them setting in their stands just because I like to look at them.

Having said that...I don't baby my guitars when I play them. I go for the sound I want and that sometimes results in some wear. For example, I have an 82 black LP custom with the gold colored hardware and I've worn through the gold coloring on the pickups in several places due to the way I play.

Now I'd rather the guitar stay pristine looking, but I'm not about to change the way I play it just to keep it that way.

To the original poster, as others have said just use some good wax on it. That'll reduce the fine pick scratches you already have and it'll help protect it against further fine scratches...:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Marlin in Minn

I'm one of the "take good care of your guitars, but play them like they are meant to be played" folks.

Yes, I clean and wax mine as necessary. I also make sure that I don't wear clothes that will scratch or dent them. I keep them in their cases when not in use, although I would rather have them setting in their stands just because I like to look at them.

Having said that...I don't baby my guitars when I play them. I go for the sound I want and that sometimes results in some wear. For example, I have an 82 black LP custom with the gold colored hardware and I've worn through the gold coloring on the pickups in several places due to the way I play.

Now I'd rather the guitar stay pristine looking, but I'm not about to change the way I play it just to keep it that way.

To the original poster, as others have said just use some good wax on it. That'll reduce the fine pick scratches you already have and it'll help protect it against further fine scratches...
:thu:

By George I think you've hit it right on the head.Thats exactly the way I look at it and I also treat my guitars pretty much the exact same way.I play them very "normally" if there is such a way,but i also polish them constantly and take care of em'. But I also have "normal" expectations of the kind of wear and pick swirls and such that will happen from normal playing.Although I will admit to occasionally hyperventilating when my 4 yr old daughter gets close to em'.By now though she pretty much know's my guitars are "sacred ground".I also have a les paul from '89 that has normal scratches and minor dings from it's age and it's nice to be able to just pick that one up and "normally" play the **** out of it without worrying the way a lot of people do with they're Les Paul's.Anyways I guess the bottom line is once again if your going to play your guitar (like it should be played) you have got to expect some pick stuff.

• Members

SO basically, reading between the lines, analysing the deepest meaning, taking all things into consideration, viewing it from a neutral stance and scaning your thought patterns,,,,, You think he should just play it?

• Members

Don't worry about scratches. It's a guitar not a Royal Doulton.

If it was meant to put in a glass case, go ahead. If it was meant to play, then play it.

As for those who tell you you're technique is suspect because you have some scratches on a nitro finish, they must play very delicately and gently. My guitars get pick and fingernail scratches.

Big F$%king deal.

• Members

Is putting wax on a nitro finish a good idea? There's no way I'd be putting automotive products on my two R9's!

To the original poster, normal wear and tear isn't abuse. Your R8 is going to get some scuffs from picking, your sweat will dull the finish, the frets will get worn and the nickel parts will tarnish. Historic Les Pauls also have a very thin nitro finish like the originals did, so I'd avoid polishing it too much as well.

Overall you should really just enjoy your guitar. That doesn't mean abuse it, but you should accept the fact that your shiny new guitar will not stay that way the more you play it.

• Members

Originally posted by exhaust_49

...if you play your guitar at all (even carefully) pick scratches and dings are inevatable. Scratches and dings add character and show you actually play your guitar. There badges of hounor.

Exactly what I was thinking.

• Members

I did the once-through this thread and saw a couple references to "nitro".

Is this guitar actually nitro-finished?

Nitro without a pickguard is a sin (why do you think they called 'em "scratchplates" in the 50's)? Nitro is relatively soft, and thin.

If its a modern poly finish, the Meguiars Scratch-X automotive swirl remover works great.

Keeping the guitar polished with a good guitar polish will offer some protection after that.

I'm not sure I'd go too aggressively after swirls in nitro...

• Members

Utero, That was a very mature response. The people who tell you not to worry about scratches mean well and they care more than it looks by their reply. I think I can safely say that 99% of them wish you to be HAPPY with your guitar. But if at first, your guitar being mint is the way to your enjoying it, by all mean use the advices of some and get those scratches safely out. Then, at one point, you'll want something more from your guitar and you will start enjoying it for reasons that scratches and dings can't hurt : the sound , the feel and the countless hours of fun it will provide to you. My favorite, most thrusty and most expensive acoustic guitar is also the most scratched and dinged instrument I own. Can you see why that is?

• Members
Originally posted by knotty

SO basically, reading between the lines, analysing the deepest meaning, taking all things into consideration, viewing it from a neutral stance and scaning your thought patterns,,,,, You think he should just play it?

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!.....LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YES!!!!!!! that is what ima sayin'

Archived