How do I get rid of pick scratches?

Utero

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

I did the once-through this thread and saw a couple references to "nitro".

Is this guitar actually nitro-finished?

Nitro without a pickguard is a sin (why do you think they called 'em "scratchplates" in the 50's)? Nitro is relatively soft, and thin.

I'm pretty sure he has a new R8 which has an even thinner nitro finish than the production LP's.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just a point.

This is obviously important to you./ Can i sugest you use one of the thicker but softer plastic picks instead of the thinner harder plastic. You can get a similar flexibility in a much less scratchy material. Tone may differ slightly but you cant have evrything!

• 3 years later...
  • Members

go to an auto parts store that sells rubbing compound for cars and get either the finest auto body rubbing compound, in liquid form, or I have used Mother's Mag Wheel polish. When I use those, I get a surface like glass. I had once a similar problem but ever since i got guitarguard skin, I need not worry about it anymore. it protects my Fender STC like a charm

• Members

The guitars I gig get played hard, with a metal pick.

This leaves them getting getting not so much pick scratches as pick trenches.

Yeah, I could use a plastic pick, or hit the guitar less...hell I could just not play 'em and play "guitar hero" on my Xbox 360 instead...that would keep 'em all minty!:idea:

:thu:

• Members

C'mon folks. Play more CAREFULLY? Do you think anyone ever said that to Pagey or Angus. Gimme a break. Gibson guitars are built to be played hard. They can take it. Who cares about scratches, dings, dents, etc. The rivets from my levis have drilled a hole in the back of my $3000 Custom Shop LP. Do I care? Hell no. It's not gonna make it sound any different. Playing guitars with abandon helps break them in.

So go ahead and scratch it. The guitar is built to take it. And don't worry about it.

+1

Consider it the beginning of your guitar's path to mojo.

-mr moon

Archived