Paid $260 for a refret... still buzzes, really frustrated with my MIJ tel :(

Vedder323

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

you should of researched a little before that move.

1.You over payed for a crappy job by someone that apparently doesn't really care about the outcome in the first place.

2. The buzz is probably from something else. Perhaps you need a truss rod adjustment, Maybe you need to shim the neck, action too low, bad nut, your bridge could be jacked up, or simply the way you play. How did you determine you needed a refret to correct a buzzing?

Where does it buzz at?

• Members
you should of researched a little before that move.

1.You over payed for a crappy job by someone that apparently doesn't really care about the outcome in the first place.

2. The buzz is probably from something else. Perhaps you need a truss rod adjustment, Maybe you need to shim the neck, action too low, bad nut, your bridge could be jacked up, or simply the way you play. How did you determine you needed a refret to correct a buzzing?

Where does it buzz at?

Except for the player part of it, the tech should have taken care of all that. Are you sure it's fret buzz? Could be a buzzy saddle or something like that. Just throwing that out there. :idk:

• Members
Except for the player part of it, the tech should have taken care of all that. Are you sure it's fret buzz? Could be a buzzy saddle or something like that. Just throwing that out there.
:idk:

hard to say Mrbrown, I have worked on it since I got it back because the action was so high i didnt even enjoy playing it.

As far as the neck, it looks straight to me when I sight down both sides but there is a chance that there is just an ever so slight more curve on the heavier strings side (top). It might be me though, its not obvious at all.

Im going to try the credit card trick when i get home to see if the frets are actually level... any other suggestions?

• Members

Whats the gua:wave:rantee that a new one is going to be better? None

Agreed. I would never toss a good neck because of fretwear. Every neck sounds and feels different. If I really liked it, I would have done the same thing.

• Members

Jeez man, that's a frickin horrible story.

I don't think that the price was too much based on what I've been quoted in the past; but I think that if it isn't spectacular that it's pretty ridiculous.

A refret has to include a complete setup and it sounds like he did a {censored} job at that. I'd definitely put a straight edge on it to see if it's level; it could just need a level/recrown. I'm kind of curious to hear if he leveled the fretboard as well? For that kind of money I'd expect it or he's just asking for problems and did a half ass job.

• Members

I really hate when they get condescending and tell you "It's an electric guitar. It's going to buzz with low action. If you don't want fret buzz, then I can set it up like an acoustic guitar."

That's a line that they must teach in luthiery school.:mad:

• Members

hard to say Mrbrown, I have worked on it since I got it back because the action was so high i didnt even enjoy playing it.

Didn't you even try it before you paid the guy? How could you pony up any amount of cash and not check for satisfactory results? It sounds like you dropped it off, waited several weeks, went back, paid money, and left.

• Members

Im really sorry to hear whats happened.

I do remember though that I passed info to you from a friend of mine,

basically telling me never to use him...

"he will take forever, charge you a ton, and then F*** it up"

Guess you decided to take a chance.

Wish you luck with trying to get some resolution.

• Members

Send your neck to Atrox - he did a few freebies for fourm members, and I believe all worked out very well. He makes Mason guitars, if you've seen pictures floating around. All very nice. I would send him a PM at the very least, get his thoughts.

• Members
Send your neck to Atrox - he did a few freebies for fourm members, and I believe all worked out very well. He makes Mason guitars, if you've seen pictures floating around. All very nice. I would send him a PM at the very least, get his thoughts.

Last I heard he's been on hiatus from working on guitars.

• Members

Didn't you even try it before you paid the guy? How could you pony up any amount of cash and not check for satisfactory results? It sounds like you dropped it off, waited several weeks, went back, paid money, and left.

A very valid point.

When I do any type work for anyone that involves truss rod, action, fretwork I insist that they have enough time when they pick it up, to plug em in & let them play it for however long it takes to assure myself & themselves that they are happy with my work.

• Members

Agreed. I would never toss a good neck because of fretwear. Every neck sounds and feels different. If I really liked it, I would have done the same thing.

Yeah but, would you pay that much? Id feel confident a new CIJ neck would be good because they make consistantly good guitars. Its not that much of a crap shoot.

• Members

Last I heard he's been on hiatus from working on guitars.

Not to derail the thread but I had wondered about that- he has done really great work for me in the past, but then last time I sent him an email I didn't hear back- I got sidetracked so didn't think much of it at the time.

• Members

That much is the going rate for a refret. I have seen them go much higher.Why would you discard a perfectly good neck just because it needs frets.Theres a reason it needs frets you played it and liked it so much its wore out.

• Members

For $260 bucks take it back it should be buzzing. It could just be he was to lazy to do a proper setup. Like some mentioned before you take it back check for high frets with a credit card or better yet a small metal straight edge.

What a dick for saying its okay if its buzzing.

• Members

A refret includes an assessment of the instrument and what might be needed other than just new frets. That includes (but is not limited to) trueing the fretboard so the vibrational plane is flat and perfect. With that said, with all frets in place seated, leveled and crowned properly and the fretboard is perfect there should be no dead notes or notes choked by a high (or loose) fret or a slight fb rise.

I say 'dead' and not buzz because that is such a wide area of misunderstanding. Every single electric guitar in the world buzzes when you hit the string - particularly noticable on the first 5 frets. It is however and should be just on the initial attack. It is the physics of a thin, low action string with lower tension, vibrating next to a fret sticking up. You attack the string, it wobbles and depending on factors like wood that wobble can be erratic and even buzzy. I just went and plucked strings on my maple fb strat, rosewood fb strat, LP and other electrics. All had buzzes on the attack and each one had it's own character. The maple fb strat had a particularly strong and sustaining buzz when compared to the others. In the amp it also has more of that stinging strat tone than my rosewood strat. Also an often overlooked issue is having pickups too close to the strings where the magnets throw string vibration into a buzzing tizzy - the worst offender being the neck pickup.

If you're an experienced player you know what is and what isn't acceptable. Some of the buzz doesn't come through the amp and this is even less of a factor if your sound is masked in distortion. I'm just trying to say some buzz is a way of life on the electric. I'm not siding with Beck but guitars do buzz! This again comes down to what is and isn't acceptable. What isn't acceptable is if that buzz is really long and drawn out after the initial attack - then you can suspect a high fret or fb rise, the pickup problem I mentioned, bad setup or combination of these. You would think Beck knows how to set the action and neck after a perfect fret job - I will give him the benefit of the doubt here.

I don't know your experience as a player so I'm not going to judge your perception of your instrument before and after. If your guitar was in front of me I could immediately offer an experienced and expert opinion. In viewing Beck's site it looks like he knows what he's doing but one still doesn't know until the product is in front of him.
If you're anywhere in the NE IN area I'd be happy to look at your guitar free of charge to offer my view.

Archived