Paid $260 for a refret... still buzzes, really frustrated with my MIJ tel :(

Vedder323

• Members

Well..I googled this guy and read a few posts about him..one was dated 2006...On his web site he says..

First things first. I have the musician sit down and play the guitar; that way I can get an idea of what kind of chops they have. I always note how they play. Maybe they play great, maybe they play terrible, and maybe they can't tell if their guitar plays well or not. Maybe their playing skills are superior, and you know that what you're gonna do will make them sound soooo much better

One of the other post said..

I could easily turn this into a Richard Beck bashing thread, but I won't. Suffice to say that unless you're what he considers a "pro", good luck in getting any service out of him.

So maybe when he had you set down and play for him..he thought you sucked and were not worthy of a non fret buzzing guitar ..lol..

But In gerneral the post I have read said he does great work..but unless you are a pro..you might not get such good service from him..

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well..I googled this guy and read a few posts about him..one was dated 2006...On his web site he says..

One of the other post said..

So maybe when he had you set down and play for him..he thought you sucked and were not worthy of a non fret buzzing guitar ..lol..

But In gerneral the post I have read said he does great work..but unless you are a pro..you might not get such good service from him..

Wow what a great guy. LOL.

• Members

Is it me or is $260 crazy expensive? I know a guy that will refret, strip the poly and refinish in nitro for half that price.

also, would a respectable luthier refret a neck that was obviously warped?

100.00 more and he could have bought a new guitar mij tele

FRED SANFORD QUOTE OF THE DAY - U BIG DUMMY , the guy w/ the tele :lol:

• Members

Update:

Well I took the guitar in to another luthier and told him the entire story. He was very polite and took the time to look at the entire guitar with me. The saddle seemed to be causing a huge issue with all the buzzing. The tech said that with most refrets he does, he will also cut a new nut as its often needed with the new "higher" frets.

He gave me advice on how to shim the nut myself and work on the truss rod. So, the last few days that is what I have been doing and now i have solved one issue, and found another. The overall buzzing across the entire neck is gone, the nut seemed to help with that all together. However, I am getting insane buzzing on the G and D strings up and down the neck, specifically near the first 5 frets. I dont even need to play hard to hear it at all. I have adjusted the saddles and each string is very close to the same height so i know that cant be the issue? I have tweaked the truss rod as well to where i have just under a .0010 gap at the 8th fret with a feeler gauge. What else can i do?

One thing worth mentioning, is it normal to have slightly more "bow" on the bass side? (thicker strings) There is no doubt that is the case with my neck, is that ok or is that an indication something else is wrong?

• Members

Update:

Well I took the guitar in to another luthier and told him the entire story. He was very polite and took the time to look at the entire guitar with me. The saddle seemed to be causing a huge issue with all the buzzing. The tech said that with most refrets he does, he will also cut a new nut as its often needed with the new "higher" frets.

He gave me advice on how to shim the nut myself and work on the truss rod. So, the last few days that is what I have been doing and now i have solved one issue, and found another. The overall buzzing across the entire neck is gone, the nut seemed to help with that all together. However, I am getting insane buzzing on the G and D strings up and down the neck, specifically near the first 5 frets. I dont even need to play hard to hear it at all. I have adjusted the saddles and each string is very close to the same height so i know that cant be the issue? I have tweaked the truss rod as well to where i have just under a .0010 gap at the 8th fret with a feeler gauge. What else can i do?

One thing worth mentioning, is it normal to have slightly more "bow" on the bass side? (thicker strings) There is no doubt that is the case with my neck, is that ok or is that an indication something else is wrong?

Sounds like the nut, you might want to have a pro cut you a new one.

Try raising the saddles on the G and D a touch.

• Members

Sounds like the nut, you might want to have a pro cut you a new one.

Try raising the saddles on the G and D a touch.

Ive tried raising them a touch and even to any extreme... still buzzes! Thanks for the suggestion...

• Members

Ive tried raising them a touch and even to any extreme... still buzzes! Thanks for the suggestion...

Its a shame how that guy left you hanging. I would just bite the bullet and have a new nut cut, and have the luthier check that guys fret work to see if they are level. And pay to have him set the guitar up and be done with it.

Good luck.

Archived