How should I fix my fret?

ILikeGuitar

• Members

I couldn't find a rubber mallet or softer blunt object to tap down a high fret so I felt lazy and tried doing it lightly with the side of some heavy pliers (this was really late in the morning so I wasn't making the best decisions). Sooo now my fret has some nice little divots/indents in them. They don't look too deep but it definitely feels rough if you bend a string over it and you can definitely feel it when you run your fingernail over it. How do I fix this? Sandpaper enough to get this out?

IMG_0546.jpg

• Members

I'd start with 600 and work slow so that you don't remove too much. Chances are though, that you will need to level the frets once that one is brought down to get the scratches out. It really depends how deep the scratches go though. If you've never done anything like this before though, a tech may be the best option.

• Members

Any hobby store will carry a set of small metal files. The files look like these and you'll find them in 3 packs at your local hobby shop for $12, that is all you need.

30090s.jpg

You can file those out in under a half and hour. Easy job too. Just come in flat from one side, file for 15-20 seconds, then flip over and come at it from the other side for 15-20 seconds in a flat manor, etc.

Go slow in a circular motion till you get the feel for how the file is working on the fret, after that, still go slow still.:D

One thing you want to keep in mind is that you what to keep the top plain of the fret smooth across the length of the fret.

The first time you do this it is scary, but it is great to have the confidence to do small spot filing on your guitars. Once you are done filing, use the smooth handle of the file and run it over the area that you just worked on. This really smooths out the metal and puts a shine into the fret.

Also, if the fret is high, then this is great because you have plenty to play with. If you go slow an look close at what you are doing the chances of this getting screwed up are very slim. Be careful not to stab the fretboard with the tip of the file. Easy job, and if you are the type to bang on your frets with a pair of pliers then this is a piece of cake.

Note: the files I use are,

MASCOT swiss single cut files for Metal, Wood and Plastic.

length: 5 1/2"

Files in the kit are:

H775 three square,

H772 round,

and H771 half round.

I recommend using the flat side of the half round for this job.

• Members

I don't think those cheap files are suitable for fretwork, they are a bit rough and not very precise either. I have a set and they are good for minor work on nuts and saddles, maybe rough work for fretting.

What you do is tape off that fret, and then in a side to side motion starting with 320 grit wet/dry paper work off the marring, then work up to 800 grit in order 320->400->600->800 or better for a polish. use each finer grade to remove the marks left by the prior. As someone else mentioned, doing this may lower this fret enough that it will cause some buzzing in which case the whole fret board should be leveled and dressed. A good set-up tech might be able to spot dress that fret and those next to it without doing the whole neck.

If I had to guess I'd say $40-$60 to redress the whole fret-board to level things up.

• Members

You hit your fret with a pair of pliers?!

I'm guessing it will probably cost between $25 and $50 to replace your fret.

You could try it yourself with some 600 grit sand paper. After that, go with 1500 grit then shine it w/never dull. Check if it's level with the other frets afterwards - if not, then your guitar needs a fret level.

Take it to a tech.

Archived