Check out my Detachable (Removable) Killswitch!!!

dimibetan

• Members

I just remember Ace and a lot of others did the same thing by turning one pickup off and using a toggle switch. 'Killswitch' seems like something the kids are doing now. The guitar player from Creed or Korn must have coined the term.

Uh... No. Anything that has a switch that turns all functions off with a single button is a "killswitch." Sorry, but Creed and Korn invented little to nothing. Ever.

• Members

Why not just buy a cord with the switch already in it?i I bought a few at a GC blow out a while back.

That *could* work, but not if you want to play the guitar with your right hand and operate the killswitch in a hurry. It really has to be near where you'd put your hand anyway.

• Members

'Killswitch' seems like something the kids are doing now.

The Gibson Trini Lopez Deluxe model introduced in 1964 had a killswitch that they referred to as the "La Bamba" switch. They thought it would be used by players to turn off the guitar without disturbing volume or tone settings while they clapped hands or played maracas.

• Members

The Gibson Trini Lopez Deluxe model introduced in 1964 had a killswitch that they referred to as the "La Bamba" switch. They thought it would be used by players to turn off the guitar without disturbing volume or tone settings while they clapped hands or played maracas.

trinilopez.jpg

• Members

Cool picture of Trini and his guitar.

If one uses a switch of "ON-OFF-Momentary ON" configuration that doesn't have a detent going to the "Momentary ON" side, the switch can be locked to the "ON" side to mute the guitar, or be bumped against the spring loading of the "Momentary ON" side for "stutter" effect.

• Members

Is this the one?

pRS1C-3062881_rshalt1_dt.jpg
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2419297

Another cool idea.
:thu:

More costly, though...

What is pictured is a burglar alarm door switch and magnet. They come in various sizes, smallest being about an inch long.

But the active component of that security switch is the tiny reed switch, encased in a glass-bulb, which is inside that rectangular housing.

Here's a link to what they look like:

http://www.satcure.co.uk/car/reed.htm

And here's a silly illustration of how they work:

They can be quite small:

http://www.standexelectronics.com/

A decent electronics supply house will carry reed switches in the raw, bulb form (maybe even Radio Shack) and they won't be as expensive as the security switch.

• Members

Which vid?

Anyway, there is not much wiring going in there. And for the size of the box, my switch is just long. I cant find any reliable momentary switches that are reliable.

Sorry, I was refering to the vid in your original post. The one that the other guy made by modifying his cable.

Archived