G&L ASAT Classic vs Fender American Tele

zwish

• Members

I love the spank tone of a tele, but have heard great things about G&L. I don't have any G&L dealers in my area, so I would be buying one sight unseen. Do G&L ASAT classics/specials have that same fender tele spank tone? Eyes closed, could you tell a difference? Preference? Would the Alder vs. Ash, Maple vs, Rosewood thing have a huge difference in achieving that tone? Thanks so much guys!

• Members

The stock G&Ls are a bit hotter than what you're going to find in a USA Tele. The fretboard radius is also a bit wider and they use Jumbo frets. I don't know if that's an issue for you at all.

I think both are great guitars and you won't go wrong with either one of them.

What's your budget.If you want the truly traditional Tele tone you may even want to think about a '52 reissue.

• Members

They are very similar guitars, and even a trained ear wouldn't be able to tell the difference sight unseen.

Ash vs. Alder = not much difference

Maple vs. Rosewood = more visual and feel preference than sound

In terms of quality I think you'll be okay buying a G&L sight unseen, but a guitar needs to feel right to *you* which is not something you can tell from a website.

Either guitar is going to spank and honk, and if they don't you can always upgrade the pups.

• Members

The stock G&Ls are a bit hotter than what you're going to find in a USA Tele. The fretboard radius is also a bit wider and they use Jumbo frets. I don't know if that's an issue for you at all.

I think both are great guitars and you won't go wrong with either one of them.

What's your budget.If you want the truly traditional Tele tone you may even want to think about a '52 reissue.

With G&L you can get a different radius and frets. They offer a few different options.

• Members

My budget is right around the '52 Reissue $1900, but would LOVE to spend less. This guitar would probably turn into my main gigging axe as a lot of the stuff that I'm playing now begs for that tele sound. I was looking at this one over at proguitarshop

http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=1831&CategoryID=302

I really like the looks and the price seems right, but it seems that its much cheaper than the other G&Ls and I don't really know what the reason is for the difference in price, or the difference between that guitar and a Fender Am. Tele.

• Members

My budget is right around the '52 Reissue $1900, but would LOVE to spend less. This guitar would probably turn into my main gigging axe as a lot of the stuff that I'm playing now begs for that tele sound. I was looking at this one over at proguitarshop

I really like the looks and the price seems right, but it seems that its much cheaper than the other G&Ls and I don't really know what the reason is for the difference in price, or the difference between that guitar and a Fender Am. Tele.

You cant beat the price difference. Dollar for dollar you get more IMO with G&Ls.

I've gotten 3 G&Ls from here:

http://www.guitaradoptions.com/

They have one in vintage white that looks really nice.

They typically knock at least $100 of the price if you call and ask nicely:)

• Members

I don't like the pickups on the G&L's. They sound like ceramics to me.

Ah, just as I suspected:

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G&L_Musical_Instruments :

The Magnetic Field Design (MFD) pickups use a ceramic bar magnet in combination with iron pole pieces with adjustable height, instead of the traditional Alnico magnet, and allows a player to set the pickup output per string, as opposed to the entire pickup as a whole in traditional single-coil pickup designs.

• Members

Ah, just as I suspected:

from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G&L_Musical_Instruments
:

The Magnetic Field Design (MFD) pickups use a ceramic bar magnet in combination with iron pole pieces with adjustable height, instead of the traditional Alnico magnet, and allows a player to set the pickup output per string, as opposed to the entire pickup as a whole in traditional single-coil pickup designs.

The height adjustment feature is really cool. It is amazing what raising the poles just a little bit does for fullness and clarity. I just raised all the poles for every string on my Comanche and it sounds like a different guitar.:thu:

• Members

They are very similar guitars, and even a trained ear wouldn't be able to tell the difference sight unseen.

They sound quite different, actually, in my view at least. Stock G&L MFD pickups in the ASAT are great in their own right - but they don't sound like Tele pickups. Hotter, fatter, and they have a "harder" sound to them. I prefer regular Tele pickups, but G&Ls build quality is a cut above USA Fender's. And now G&L's quality is even more of a bang for the buck since Fender has hiked their prices up. In this situation, I would get an ASAT Classic and put regular Tele pickups in. Given the OPs preferences, I think that make sense. I don't think you'd find too many people disagreeing that G&Ls build is on average better/more consistent, even if the MFDs aren't your cup of tea.

The fretboard radius is also a bit wider and they use Jumbo frets.

There are 5 necks and they may have added more this year if I'm not mistaken. A bunch of nut widths and either 71/2" or 12" radius.

• Members

I don't care for them though. They sound like ceramic pickups to me- one dimensional and stale.

You can always change them :)

I replaced the ones in my S-500 with Rocketfire Total 60s, which are incredible pickups. When I was selling it many people wanted the original pickups. I was surprised by that.

• Members

Have played a lot of different teles. The one that stood out was the 72 thinline reissue. Way more versatile than a standard tele. Thats why I bought it.

I know I'm nit-picking but humbuckers are not equal to the "tele" sound.

That said I love my modded tele with HBs!

Of course I have one with singles too.

If I had to choose one I'd go with the single coil one but I'm a traditionalist.

• Members

Wow, lots of good info from everyone. I really am looking for that traditional Tele sound. It sounds like the way to go is either a really good feeling '52 reissue or a G&L and if I'm not satisfied with the pickups (i'm sure I probably will be) switch them out for fenders or Fralins or whatever. I really appreciate all the info, keep it coming if you wish.

• Members

Wow, lots of good info from everyone. I really am looking for that traditional Tele sound. It sounds like the way to go is either a really good feeling '52 reissue or a G&L and if I'm not satisfied with the pickups (i'm sure I probably will be) switch them out for fenders or Fralins or whatever. I really appreciate all the info, keep it coming if you wish.

Fralin pickups are amazing. Dont care for his humbuckers as much, but his single coils cant be beat for a traditional sound, imho.

And on the g&l pickups, to each his own. But I could tell they were ceramics even before I knew they were.

Archived